• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why the new DINO-RAMA should be given a chance

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
I've been pondering this for a long time. Why does it seem that I'm the only one actually looking forward to the completion of the new Dino-Rama section at AK? Could it be my rose colred glasses? Sure. Could it be I have bad taste? Sure. Could it be that my logic is skewered by having lived in the Keys for 20 years? Absolutely. But I have compelling reasons (that probably have something to do with those items above, but not completely).

I believe the completion of this area is designed to give Dinosaur assistance & complete the area. Dinosaur has been the only ride in this area since AK opened, and with the whirl & coaster there will now be three, plus at least one (the spinner) will be kid friendly. I see no evil in another spinner at AK...The kids love them, they are always themed nicely (at least I think both Dumbo & Aladdin are) and I don't see how the "mouse coaster" can be bad either since it too, will be nicely themed and (as I understand) about the quality of Thunder or Space Mountain...Nothing wrong with that.

So, this brings us to the infamous, loathed and generally greatly unanticipated Carnival Games. I agree that these DO NOT float my boat, but at this time (not having seen them) neither do they bother me...I can wait and see. I would like to add that the game area at Seaworld is nicely done and my family has enjoyed the games there on a couple of occasions (it's quite easy to win a nice stuffed animal). Now, the good thing about the Seaworld game area is that it's right next to a water paly area for the tiny tykes and I think thats a good plan that I wish Disney would follow as while mom or dad are wathcing the little ones get cooled off in the water, the older kids can blow a few bucks playing some games (they aren't expensive) in the same area. And remember, Disney has always had an affinity for kitsch and this will be 'tounge in cheeck' all the way!

The completion of Dino-Land lends itself to the next step (to be announced in December...Hope, hope, hope), that being, of course, Beastly Kingdom. Now Beastly Kingdom will be another area with an e-ticket ride (giving AK four: Safari, Kali Rapids, Dinosaur & BK). Hopefully they will add a couple of quality "gimmie's" to this area as well, but if we have to wait a couple of years, we know they will come (i.e like Dino-Rama).

Lastly, the completeion of Dinoland, with two more non-animal related rides plus the addition BK tells me Disney is preparing AK to expanded hours in the future...Now, I know this seems odd, what with all of the reduction of hours going on, but I feel this is temporary and Disney is simply preparing for better times, which will be good for all of us. The other key to this theory will be to see if BK includes a full service type restaraunt (needed if extended hours are to be attempted).

So, in conclusion, I anxiously await the two new rides at Dino-Rama and am awaiting the Carnival games with much trepidition...And blowing a gasket in anticipation of BK!

Thoughts?
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Hmmm, interesting. While I agree Dinoland needs more to do than Dinosaur, I think they could have done better than two "off the shelf" rides. From the looks of if, the spinner will be on par with the MK spinners. Plus the kids do seem to love them.

Here is the part I have a problem with...

I don't see how the "mouse coaster" can be bad either since it too, will be nicely themed and (as I understand) about the quality of Thunder or Space Mountain...Nothing wrong with that.

From the concept art I have seen (you can see it at www.wdwmagic.com ) , this coaster will NOT be themed anywhere close to the quality of Space or Thunder Mountain! It looks like a coaster you see at your local county fair! With the support structure visible and everything. The only themed elements will be painted plywood dinos! (keep in mind this is only from viewing the concept art) ICK!! Certainly not on par with Space or Thunder!!

I would have much rather them build some sort of dark ride on par with the MK dark rides (Peter Pan, Pooh, etc) . At least that would be something the entire family could enjoy together.

Lets hope that there will be that anticipated announcement in December! Bring on BK!!!!!!

I think "basic" rides, will work to destroy the mindset that is pretty much required to enjoy a park like Animal Kingdom. AK and Epcot are both cerebral parks, especially compared to a place like the Magic Kingdom. You have to have an audience that is willing to go beyond, "I'm here, entertain me," to "I'm here, entertain me and teach me something too."

Because AK's roster is so small, it wouldn't take much to turn the balance away from the "learning" aspect of the park. My guess is that once these few ride rides are added that people will have even less tolerance for things like the trails and animal exhibits and will chant even louder, "Where are the rides!"

AK's problem up to this point, I don't think has been that people hate the "learning", it's just that there isn't enough to do and I think they do want some more "motion." But I think a dark ride, or a Soarin' attraction, still emphasis on "learning something about something or somewhere" would do more to re-enforce AK's mission that your left-brain will be stimulated too. I'm not sure how a spinner and a mad-mouse will do that.

Not every ride can be an Eticket.
You need non-eTicket rides to round out an area.
No one seems to understand the theming of Dinoland...
which is...
Chester and Hester trying to cash in on the popularity of the dino-dig with 'cheap' tourist attractions and gift shops in No-Name, America.

Not every ride can be an Eticket.

I agree! But they dont have to make the C & D tickets off the shelf carnival rides! The dark rides from the MK are/were C/D tickets (Pooh, Peter Pan, Snow White, Toad) . These are the types of C / D tickets I'd like to see in AK.

No one seems to understand the theming of Dinoland...
which is...
Chester and Hester trying to cash in on the popularity of the dino-dig with 'cheap' tourist attractions and gift shops in No-Name, America.

This reminds me of the DCA Paradise Pier thread. If you theme something to look like a 'cheap' tourist attraction, what do you get????? A cheap tourist attraction! Oh well, I suppose I can just look the other direction on my way to 'Dinosaur'.

This is from the "The Making of Disney's Animal Kingdom"

guests will enter DinoLand, USA, a tribute to our American love of dinosaurs, from tacky roadside attractions to serious scientific inquiry...Dinoland, USA, is a hybrid: part wacky souvenier stand and part dinosaur dig.

If a guest thinks that the theming of DinoLand is just about the "tacky roadside," then there is a problem with the execution of the intended theme. And I don't think a spinner and a mad mouse will help with that. And in the context of the entire park, the "tacky" should remain a "walk-on" role not a "lead" or "supporting" role if the rest of the park has any chance of being appreciated.

And no not everything has to be E-ticket. Dark rides have ranged from B-E classifications (Alice was a B), something like Circle-Vision was a free exhibit, Soarin' is basically a new vision of Circle-Vision. Things like Adventure thru Inner Space was a C.

It looks to be a good place to visit...though I do dispise some off the shelf carnival rides. I do think that WDW doesn't need any more Dumbo style rides!

Do we really need to run through the list of "off the shelf" rides that Disney has themed to the hilt again? "Off the shelf" is not equal to "run of the mill". Wait and see...
I too am looking forward to DinoRama and am crushed that I'm going to miss Pete and Scoop.
BTW, did anyone else notice the differences in the two pieces of concept art and the actual construction? It looks like three different projects to me!

Once again the theme seems to be “lower you standards and you’ll be happier".

They have a topic of dinosaurs, the one science subject that children simply can’t get enough of, the one kids will gobble up information to no end, the one that can still cause adults to scream in fear -- and all we get is a “tacky carnival”?

Is this the limit of Disney’s imagination these days – bad parody?

At one point Disney tried to create a sense of awe and wonder with their creations. Now I guess all they’re shooting for is the feeling of mechanically induced motion sickness on a budget.

It is a sad day when a roadside carnival replica is considered “creative”.

I hear this chant works wonders for those in car #1. Thought I'd give it a try. I do feel better now.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, Hopemax, I agree that it takes a different mindset to appreciate AK. BUT, I DON'T think that it is 100% the same as Epcot. At Epcot, We are directed to where to have our entertainment and learning. Go here to learn about energy, here to learn about space, here to learn about morocco.
At animal kingdom we are left to dicover what we can learn and where we can learn it.

The Dinosaurland USA part NEVER EVER fit in with that. It was always a cheap sideshow to me. Now, I'm not going to argue with that parents and soforth, that's not my point. My point is that the focus is so totally different.
I wouldn't be surprised if the new additions had little to no effect on the cerebralness of the rest of the park.

Beastly Kingdom has more to offer as sort of a combination of cerebral and Not, simply due to its mythical nature. I'm over Dinosaurs.

Still, I must say I'm looking forward to the additions.

My intention is not to say that AK is 100% like Epcot, but only that it is something more cerebral than say MK's Adventureland. I enjoy AK's presentation much more than Epcot's which feels a little to much like school with a teacher droning on.

And even though the designers may not intentionally change the effect of the park, I do think it will have an effect on what guests think they are there to do. Kinda like it's easier to be content with eating healthy (it's not horrible, just different), when the bowl of Halloween candy isn't sitting on the table.

Hopemax, I think, (and the exit polls I've heard of seem to agree) that most people don't know what to do at AK already. So giving them a direction, any direction might breath life into the park.

I wouldn't have as much of a problem with Triceratops if they hadn't just put in Aladdin. I'm thinking about the kids, here. Don’t we want them to have different ride experiences. At least pick a different kind of flat ride to work with, rather than repeat a ride my kids may have already ridden 2 1/2 times the day before (giving a half for the orbiter). Hard to believe that cheaper to retheme didn’t play a big part in this decision.

However, the mouse coaster is my bigger POTENTIAL disappointment. Not because it won’t be fun, I think it will be. Disappointment in they appear to be adding so little imagineering. This could have been one cool (NON E TICKET) dark ride or at least a much more enhanced unique experience. It just doesn’t look like they have gone near far enough in plussing this one.

On the glass half full side, at least they went with the spinning kind. In less than an hour I can ride a generic mouse coaster like the one they put in DCA. I have to drive two hours to the jersey shore to ride a spinning mouse coaster.

In Kevin Smith’s first movie, ‘Clerks’, one of the main characters works at a video store. During a particularly funny rant, he complains about how people have no appreciation for quality and always go for the “easy” movies – such as Mr. Sheen’s ‘Navy Seals’.

‘Clerks’ is a huge cult hit within the industry and the line from the movie, “OOOOH! Navy Seals!!” has become shorthand for the people’s tendency to pick familar, poorly-made, highly marketed, lowest-common-denominator product rather than put in the effort to see something new and that might actually be good.

Apply it as you wish to Din-O-Rama…

Now see, the only thing that stands out in my mind is the discussion of contract employees on the Death Star, but that may just be my problem. :D

Well that and

"I'm not even supposed to BE here today!"

Well AV, I guess I've read some different books than you becsue I am sure Walt DID like the generic amusement Park idea, in fact he spent huge amounts of time visiting Parks all over the Country & world. He especially liked Tivoli Gardens for many attributes which he made his own, but he had no problems with the simplistic rides and ideas...That seems obvious with the things he did (Carousel & Mr. Toads Wild Ride, for example). If he didn't like the basic idea what could have possessed him into creating DL?

Further, you can continue to denegrate advances that I don't concur with, based on the lofty goals you once saw from Disney, but times change & people change. I don't mind the mouse coaster (I think it will be fun) and I believe the little ones will like the spinner and that, too is ok (even better than ok) with me. The fact that they didn't create "the next greatest ride" doesn't phase me a bit...They're doing Space and they will do BK. I want Disney to be the whole package and to me WDW still is...And I think they proved they can still imagineer with TDS. Further, I think they've proved they can still imagineer at home with AKL...Different perspectives to be sure, but AKL is so spectacular, so grand, so "who in the heck could have thought of this" cool, that I think somebody has to get credit...

:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Mr. Pirate, my complaint has never been about what Disney is capable of doing – it’s about what they’re willing to do. The Company can still accomplish great things when it wants to, witness DisneySea and ‘The Princess Diaries’. Most of the time, however, we’re stuck with ‘Mullholland Madness’ and ‘Pearl Harbor’ because it’s the lazy out.

There is no joy of creativity to be found at Din-O-Rama. It’s cheap, it’s easy and it’s lazy. Yes kids and others may find it amusing – but that’s not the standard the company set for themselves. The Company set the bar at a high level and they spend millions of dollars every year telling me the quality is there, but all I’m seeing is weak effort. There is enough mediocrity in life right now and I’m rather unwilling to shell out $50 a day to see even more of it.

Two comments:

One: I think our friend Yoho! is leaning toward car #3, don't you think? ;) ;)

And, TWO: through every post, in almost every thread on this board, the argument seems to be filtered not by three or four cars, not by political parties, but instead between two sets of Disney mindsets:

DisneySeas Envy: WDI can and should be given the free rein to imagineer the next DisneySeas quality park/attraction but stateside. Anything less than that is Six-flagish, and is a slap in the ice at Walt's memory.

Mouse-colored Glasses: No, WDW & DL are already great parks, and just anything WDI dreams up and adds to the parks is lagniappe, gravy, icing on the cake.

It is no surprise that I read every post here through my Eyes of Envy.

If I'm veering towards Car 3, then Jeffjewell and Landbaron better hit the brakes, or get off the road, because My Harely has spikes on the Rims. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter