Why the ever changing TSA requirements?

Dis703

DIS Veteran
We were just at Disney last week, PHL to MCO, and I find the requirements for what you have to take out of your bags so frustrating. It seems to change not only from airport to airport, but from one visit to the next. One time there were signs to take out all of your food and when we got up there they told us to keep everything in our bags, just to empty our pockets, and we were sent through. Most of the time we take off our shoes, but not all the time.

This time leaving MCO the only signs pertained to electronics. It even mentioned removing CPAP's from their bags (this must be new as I've never been asked to do that before). So we get all the way up to the front and the TSA agent asks me if I had any food in my bags. Umm, yes a TON! And in every single bag of course. So I had to go through every bag and pull every snack and piece of candy out into a bin. MCO is the only airport I've ever had to remove food from our bags either, but they don't always ask.

Just wondering why do the rules change so much from airport to airport and from one visit to the next? It just makes it rather impossible to really be prepared with packing. Luckily, Frontier didn't question my entire extra bag when I didn't take the time to completely repack everything after security. I just threw most of it into a shopping bag so I could get to our gate.

On a positive note, security in MCO was moving way faster than it had been on any of our visits in recent years. And they had posted signs with wait times which I found very helpful. I don't think we spent more than 15 minutes in line. Not sure if that was a fluke or if it's really just improved.

I dread going through security. I can't stand how chaotic it is. Everyone is rushing and sometimes TSA people give conflicting instructions. I just always take food and electronics out automatically and pack prepared to do so. I too thought the wait through security was not too long. I am not sure why the rules change so much. Maybe some airports just try to be extra cautious? I'm not sure. I always just look at it as how they are trying to keep everyone safe.

A lot depends on what's going on around the country around the time you're traveling, what airport you're leaving from, and some can just be whether or not the TSA agents have been updated on new requirements/changes.

When we flew down last fall, we breezed through TSA in Boston. On the way home, Homeland Security had increased the alert level due to the Las Vegas Shooting, so coming through MCO we had to take EVERYTHING (books, snacks, etc) out of the bags. We (the public) don't always know why alerts are increased or decreased, and it's definitely frustrating not knowing what to expect, but I get why it happens. I've considered getting TSA Precheck/Global Entry for my husband and I just to cut down on some of the hassle.

As frustrating as it can be for a passenger it's likely done on purpose. You also have airports of different size and passenger counts so some may have a rule that another doesn't. Some may have different risks depending on their location, etc.

It happens to various airports all over.

I actually don't mind the changes TBH. What I do mind is when there aren't clear signs or instructions as to what I, as the passenger, is expected to do. Most often I find TSA fine on verbal instructions but every now and then you get the TSA agent who isn't the nicest and if there wasn't clear signs or instructions on what to do it can make that experience more stressful.

I am sure I am annoying, but if it isn't clearly posted, I just start asking questions. "Does my iPad need to come out? What about my food? Can these two items share a bin?" And then I still forget to take my shoes off and have to throw them in at the last second.

A lot depends on what's going on around the country around the time you're traveling, what airport you're leaving from, and some can just be whether or not the TSA agents have been updated on new requirements/changes.

When we flew down last fall, we breezed through TSA in Boston. On the way home, Homeland Security had increased the alert level due to the Las Vegas Shooting, so coming through MCO we had to take EVERYTHING (books, snacks, etc) out of the bags. We (the public) don't always know why alerts are increased or decreased, and it's definitely frustrating not knowing what to expect, but I get why it happens. I've considered getting TSA Precheck/Global Entry for my husband and I just to cut down on some of the hassle.
And what's interesting in what you've mentioned is we flew several hours after the Vegas shooting TO Vegas and our airport security was no different other than that was the time period when Kindles started having to be taken out of your carryon bags and when I had flown to Disney several weeks prior that rule was not in effect yet at my home airport.

The increased security we saw was on the Strip itself as well as with some rerouting of shuttles to the rental car facility.

They change the rules frequently on purpose so that you are surprised. No sense in having the security theatre if it's predictable ;)

I can sort of understand that but then at least tell us at the start of the line. Not as we are pushing our stuff through the x ray machine, lol.

Last September when we were coming home through MCO, I totally forgot that I put several Jif To-Go packs in my carry on suit case. My bag was flagged for additional security. It wasn't until the agent was rummaging around that I remembered it was in there. Once I told him that I had peanut butter he gave me a stern warning that peanut butter was a paste and it should have been sent through by itself. I knew that...just totally forgot that I threw it in the bag at the last second as we were leaving the room. Anyways, he let me keep it and didn't give me too much of a hard time. He was actually pretty cool and joked he should keep it and eat it on his break!. He did tell me that if I had been in one of the other lines, they probably would have tossed it because they were testing new rules regarding what foods can come through the lines and had to be inspected. He said that it was going to become much more of a hassle to travel through there with any food. We asked why and he said he wasn't really sure and then made a joke about trying to boost food sales at the airport.

I also agree about the varying rules regarding electronics. My husband's carryon is almost always full of some sort of electronics, hand held games, ipads, etc. At one airport they say keep it in the bag, at another they say take it all out. Its hard to keep up, especially with a little one in tow.

It seems no matter how hard we try, one of us is always getting pulled for something. Either our bags or random screenings for something. It makes me glad that I don't travel by plane any more than I do.

It even mentioned removing CPAP's from their bags (this must be new as I've never been asked to do that before)

My ex traveled for years with a cpap, and the rules have always been to take it out. There’s even info on the tsa page about putting it in a clear plastic bag so it doesn’t get him germs on it.

He almost never did because he was almost never asked to take it out of its bag. Easier to take it out when asked to do so.

I just threw most of it into a shopping bag so I could get to our gate.

Give yourself more time at the airport in the future.

I actually don't mind the changes TBH. What I do mind is when there aren't clear signs or instructions as to what I, as the passenger, is expected to do.

Yes. And that is where mco makes me lose it. Signs that contradict what you’re being told. Humans contradicting each other. Human action contradicting what the human is saying (the example for that is the agent screaming about staying with your bag because it’s the real world, and the screaming at people waiting to go through scanners/metal detectors until their bags were ready to go through the machine).

I have not yet encountered a more frustrating airport than mco.

Once I told him that I had peanut butter he gave me a stern warning that peanut butter was a paste and it should have been sent through by itself.

Clarifying for newbies.

It should have been in a 311 baggie. If in a normal line, that baggie comes out and goes in a bin (I always put my shoes (if not in precheck) or my purse in the same bin). If in the precheck line, the baggie stays in the bag. Either way, the PB needs to be under 3.4oz per package and the packages need to be in the 311 baggie.

My ex traveled for years with a cpap, and the rules have always been to take it out. There’s even info on the tsa page about putting it in a clear plastic bag so it doesn’t get him germs on it.

He almost never did because he was almost never asked to take it out of its bag. Easier to take it out when asked to do so.

Give yourself more time at the airport in the future.

Yes. And that is where mco makes me lose it. Signs that contradict what you’re being told. Humans contradicting each other. Human action contradicting what the human is saying (the example for that is the agent screaming about staying with your bag because it’s the real world, and the screaming at people waiting to go through scanners/metal detectors until their bags were ready to go through the machine).

I have not yet encountered a more frustrating airport than mco.

Clarifying for newbies.

It should have been in a 311 baggie. If in a normal line, that baggie comes out and goes in a bin (I always put my shoes (if not in precheck) or my purse in the same bin). If in the precheck line, the baggie stays in the bag. Either way, the PB needs to be under 3.4oz per package and the packages need to be in the 311 baggie.

Ironically, after making me take my CPAP out she asked me what else was in my CPAP bag and when I told her just the stuff I use with it and a bunch of receipts she let me put it back in. The plastic bag idea will be useful for the future though because I was totally skeeved placing it in one of those bins.

As for time, I took DME and left for the airport 3 hours ahead of our flight. But I was alone with my 7 year old and all of our luggage and he had just spent the entire bus ride from Pop puking.

I'd say about 80% of the time we've also been told to leave our liquids in our luggage (although they are in a separate baggy). And we didn't take them out this trip. Just candy and the CPAP (until she told me to put it back). But yes very conflicting info in general. In regards to PB we tend to travel with extra food because of my kid's allergies. Sometimes we get extra screening, but not always. We made it out of Newark once with a diaper bag full of baby food with no issues and on the way back through MCO they had to take out every single jar and wipe it down. That trip I also had ice packs that had thawed out and I didn't realize it. But he asked me where we were headed and when I said home, he let me take them.

It doesn't exactly instill confidence in the screening process with so much inconsistency.

I can sort of understand that but then at least tell us at the start of the line. Not as we are pushing our stuff through the x ray machine, lol.

Even when that happens, you may still get "yelled" at. Last time I flew, I asked TSA Agent 1 if I needed to remove external hard drives. Was told no. Three minutes and 10 feet later, TSA Agent 2 makes a big fuss when she sees sitting inside my laptop bag. She tried to publicly shame me for not following instructions. I shut her down right away and got her supervisor involved.

It would probably have been easier just to comply, but I hate people on power trips.

The reason is because TSA is security theater carried out by low paid employees, who from person to person don't know what they should be doing.

While they are focused on food and drinks, the majority of the weapons that are put through security audits pass without being found.

They change the rules frequently on purpose so that you are surprised. No sense in having the security theatre if it's predictable ;)

I so believe this as it keeps the nuts from guessing correctly....

Even when that happens, you may still get "yelled" at. Last time I flew, I asked TSA Agent 1 if I needed to remove external hard drives. Was told no. Three minutes and 10 feet later, TSA Agent 2 makes a big fuss when she sees sitting inside my laptop bag. She tried to publicly shame me for not following instructions. I shut her down right away and got her supervisor involved.

It would probably have been easier just to comply, but I hate people on power trips.

If you fly often you have come across this situation as the problem seems to be the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and they say its to keep us safe...sometimes it seems the tsa couldn't find their way out of a brown paper bag if it was completely open laying flat.

We flew out of NY a few years ago... DS was 16 at the time.
He gets to scanner and the agent tells him he does not need to remove his shoes.
He gets to the other side of the metal detector and the guy on that side ask why he didn't remove his shoes?

Another trip we had a stern talking to since all of our liquid baggies were put in the same bin. There were 4 of us flying and the baggies all go in the same carry on so we put them in the same bin like we have done every other time including the flight down. Turns out that was a no-no.

We were just at Disney last week, PHL to MCO, and I find the requirements for what you have to take out of your bags so frustrating. It seems to change not only from airport to airport, but from one visit to the next. One time there were signs to take out all of your food and when we got up there they told us to keep everything in our bags, just to empty our pockets, and we were sent through. Most of the time we take off our shoes, but not all the time.

This time leaving MCO the only signs pertained to electronics. It even mentioned removing CPAP's from their bags (this must be new as I've never been asked to do that before). So we get all the way up to the front and the TSA agent asks me if I had any food in my bags. Umm, yes a TON! And in every single bag of course. So I had to go through every bag and pull every snack and piece of candy out into a bin. MCO is the only airport I've ever had to remove food from our bags either, but they don't always ask.

Just wondering why do the rules change so much from airport to airport and from one visit to the next? It just makes it rather impossible to really be prepared with packing. Luckily, Frontier didn't question my entire extra bag when I didn't take the time to completely repack everything after security. I just threw most of it into a shopping bag so I could get to our gate.

On a positive note, security in MCO was moving way faster than it had been on any of our visits in recent years. And they had posted signs with wait times which I found very helpful. I don't think we spent more than 15 minutes in line. Not sure if that was a fluke or if it's really just improved.

We have twin girls both at 95 percentile activity levels. Two years ago they had just turned 4 and we went through MCO security. One of the twins saw the huge pile of water bottles taken from passengers and she ran under the folding table barriers and started routing through the bottles. The nearest TSA agent was a large man and his face bore no indication that he had ever smiled. He glared at me and told me to retrieve her immediately. I said I think she is thirsty and smiled. Bad response since at this point the glare deepened to the point that I started to worry about a night in jail. I retrieved my daughter and we made it through meekly without further incident. The incident really surprised me in that MCO TSA didn’t seem in the least tolerant of children. There was no harm or security breach and we were still some minutes from actual screening.

Active twins can be a handful and I don’t know how to please some people without resorting to duck tape and leg irons.

THe taking the food out of your carry ons has been a thing for a while and it depends on how busy the airport is. Food packaging is often flagged and needs additional screening, so if the security checkpoint is busy, you have to pull it out.

I have had to pull all of my food out several times in Philly, Miami, Palm Beach, Atlanta and I am sure there are a few others. It really depends on how crowded it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter