Why Spend $$$ on a Deluxe?

For me, it's the atmosphere of a Deluxe. I mean, I really like Fort Wilderness, as well, but that's not a typical moderate. Deluxes tend (except for the EPCOT resorts, where food is scarcer) to have accessible, delicious restaurants three meals a day, the resorts are gorgeous and not garish like the Value resorts are, and there is generally a higher level of Cast Member service.

We have always stayed deluxe because I am willing to pay the price for a vacation that I want. Now does that mean the mods and values are bad? No it just isn't for us. We stopped one time at pop for a drop off on the way to akl and I didn't care for the concrete mall feel. I enjoy a pretty lobby to walk into, I enjoy better pools with slides, I enjoy the theming, I enjoy the food options, I enjoy the closeness to the parks. Some use their resorts for sleeping we use ours for a lot so deluxe just works for us.

Just to throw a kink into that (because as I've stated earlier in the thread, I think deluxes are worth it)....I can't book CR for that same reason. Definite Concrete mall feel....and without any giant size statues to offset that....:rotfl2:

The convenience of CR is huge but I just don't care for the look of it, at all.

The only downsides of Swan/Dolphin is the non-DDP restaurants and the absence of Magical Express. But you get a Deluxe for a little bit more than the cost of a moderate.

Seems like a great "in between".

I do miss DME because the movie gets me revved up for our arrival. :) We've taken a town car on the Swan/Dolphin trips, so we get to the resort much faster. Even though we pay OOP for that, we still save a boatload of money over the WDW Epcot resorts. We don't do the DDP, so that hasn't been a negative for us.

I love POR but this time, for the same price as POR's rack rate...im renting points. Sure, i could play that wait and see game - hoping for a discount to come out but, Im so tired of that game. It just may be deluxe from now on for us!

If it's all about money-why not stay off site for $49-they have bus shuttles as well.

I'm sure there are folks who "can't for the life of them" understand why you stay on property at Values, and then upgraded even further to Mods besides.

We split stays with BLT and BC/BCV/BWI/BWV-that way we can walk to 3 parks and know exactly when to leave our room.

If we have an ADR at France, we can leave our room 10 minutes before. We would leave our room from a bus resort about an hour before a France ADR.

Same applies to a park opening or a FP return-we have way more time available for sleeping, swimming, dining, shopping etc during our stays.

Going back to the resort for a break is much easier as well. I would estimate we save over 20 hours a week doing what we want, instead of waiting and riding buses.

When Illuminations is over-we can be in our room before we would be to the EPCOT bus stop, and no stampede involved. After Wishes, we will be at BLT before we could get on a bus.

Times Square charges more, Ski slopes charge more and so do Beach resorts.

Now throw in much better beds, decor, pools, dining and room service on top of it.

For us the immersion is just better as well.

WDWXMAS2010224-4.jpg

P6260470-1.jpg

P1010261.jpg

Just to throw a kink into that (because as I've stated earlier in the thread, I think deluxes are worth it)....I can't book CR for that same reason. Definite Concrete mall feel....and without any giant size statues to offset that....:rotfl2:

The convenience of CR is huge but I just don't care for the look of it, at all.

Ha! True it looks like a toaster! But I would pay for a toaster then stay at pop. But I would stay at pop any day over off site. ;)

Why Spend $$$ on a Deluxe?

To put it bluntly, because I can. What one family can afford may be out of the question for another. What one family enjoys as far as resort amenities may be superfluous for another. We've stayed at all resort levels. Will never stay at another value resort. Not because they are awful, but because they aren't what we want in a vacation stay. We've stayed at all of the mods at one time or another and have really enjoyed most of them. Price point is excellent, amenities are adequate, and esthetics are lovely, for the most part.

But we also enjoy staying at deluxes. I refuse to pay rack rate, though. For us, the rack rate is just too inflated. But since we never travel during peak periods, discounts have never been difficult to find. The OP is quick to dismiss many of the pluses of the deluxes; however when added together they are important aspects of a great vacation for many people. To the previously mentioned 'extras' I would add the benefit of great dining within the resort. Knowing that I don't have to venture outside my resort to have a meal at (for example) Boma, Jiko, or Sanaa (or GFC, Citricos, and Narcoossee's) is a lovely bonus.

I'm having a hard time with the cost of deluxes too. I've always wanted to try each resort with the exception of Ft. Wilderness and now I'm getting down to only the Deluxes and Ft. Wilderness.

I have to say I love the sizes of of the deluxe rooms and the amenties at the Deluxes are great. I also really like the locations of the Deluxe resorts.
But that price really throws me for a loop.

And now that I've said that - I booked 2 nights at the Beach Club next April since I'm going to the Flower and Garden Festival because I've never stayed there before and I can walk into Epcot.
I am also planning on nice breaks those 2 days so I can enjoy the great pool, the nice big room and the Boardwalk Area without having to drive there.

So those are my reasons for Deluxe.
I'm just glad there are many different choices. I've stayed value a few times when I've had to, stayed moderate tons of times and stayed Deluxe quite a few times too.

For us, it's about the location primarily. We want to stay in the Epcot area because we walk in and out of Epcot all the time. We made a price concession two trips ago and stayed at the Swan. Loved it and stayed at the Dolphin last May. Our next trip, I will absolutely consider Swan/Dolphin again, or maybe rent DVC points.
Another consideration for many is that the extra money for a deluxe isn't a hardship, so why not do it?

This is us. I haven't stayed a Swan and Dolphin, but I would pick it over a monorail resort if I couldn't get a discount at one of the Disney Epcot resorts. I love being in the Epcot area.

I also need a gym and I need restaurant options that within walking distance. I don't want to bus all over the place to get to dinner or take a cab everywhere. We always rent a car, but I we like to have a few adult beverages with dinner so driving is out of the question.

I honestly would not go to Disney if I couldn't book an Epcot resort.

I'm with the OP. We tend to take longer, less frequent trips (10 days) since getting there involves a cross-country flight for us. Ten nights at $500 would total over six months of mortgage payments for us. I just can't justify spending that much on a hotel.

I'm with the OP. We tend to take longer, less frequent trips (10 days) since getting there involves a cross-country flight for us. Ten nights at $500 would total over six months of mortgage payments for us. I just can't justify spending that much on a hotel.

Even when I stayed club level at the Grand Floridian in the main building it was not $500 a night. If you learn to use discounts and go a week that isn't Easter or Christmas, you can pay for a Deluxe what people pay for rack rate at a moderate.

I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts! I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations! We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat. So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why???? Some of the arguments I've heard are.... Indoor corridors -- does that really matter? Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car. Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely! Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation. Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting! I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go. Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night! So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost? I'm honestly curious about this...

"But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go."

We don't travel like this to Disney anymore. We used to go morning til closing, although taking a pool break for the kids. We found this exhausting!

We've taken many trips to Disney. Now, we like to take everything in..We go early in the a.m. Come back, take a rest, swim, spend time at the resort. Have a cocktail on our balcony.

We also like to stay at the Epcot resorts. Dinner in Epcot every night means just walking thru the International Gateway. We can also walk to DHS or take the boat. I love that. Now, I can't do much of the walking, so I'm trying it ECV style this time :-)

Everyone has different ways of traveling.
That doesn't mean I'm not a coupon cutter, a sale ad shopper, & a discount I shall not miss.

When I ask my DH where he wants to go-It's Disney. When I ask him which hotel-he says by Epcot-kids too! I personally love GF!!

Yes, you can save a lot of money staying at a Mod or a Value, but your justification for not doing it is as strong as ours for making that choice. To me, that's one of the best things about Disney..There is something for everyone!

I love hearing ppl's trip reports..no matter where you stay, it's Disney! I personally could never stay off-site again!

I hope you enjoy your stay @ PoR..
I know I'm excited for my 1st stay @ BWI..

I know I'm entering delicate territory here, but when I look at the prices of the different resorts, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would pay $300-$500 or more a night for some resorts!

I'll preface by saying that I'm a budget-conscious mom---or you may even say cheap. I shop sales and discounts, cut coupons, and watch what I spend. That being said, we have been to Disney four times in seven years, so we're not against spending money on vacations!

We've always stayed at a Value resort until the last time when we stayed at POFQ and loved it! We'll go back there in a heartbeat.

So I spend less than $200 at POFQ for a lovely room, great service, fun pool, beautiful grounds, etc. Or I could spend $400 and stay at a Deluxe. Why????

Some of the arguments I've heard are....

Indoor corridors -- does that really matter?

Better transportation -- never had an issue with buses at any of the resorts we've stayed. And we've never had a car.

Nicer rooms -- thought POFQ room was lovely!

Closer proximity to MK -- when we go we visit all the parks, so don't care if we're closer to one. Again, never an issue with transportation.

Beautiful lobby/grounds/views/etc. -- Can get all that just by visiting!

I guess if we were going to spend our whole vacation hanging out at the resort, we might be more worried about it. But we're there to visit the parks! Yes, we'll take breaks, swim in the pool, eat in the food court. But our rooms are basically places to sleep, shower, dress, and go.

Unless money really were no object at all--which I can't imagine is the case for the vast majority of families--I can't justify spending the ridiculous amounts of money on the resorts. For that price, they should be throwing in breakfast (and lunch and dinner!) and providing me a private driver to get me where I want to go! Not to mention laundry services and a turn-down each night!

So let me hear it! How do you justify spending that kind of money on a room? Do you spend all your time there? Is it just to say "been there, done that'? Is the difference really worth twice the cost?

I'm honestly curious about this...

I'm currently planning my first trip to Disney. So I haven't stayed at any! Lol, I"m just going to give you my thought process through it all
First, I looked at the deluxes and was like, holy cow! no way! :sad2:
And saw the mods and thought they were just as pretty! Then I realized i could spend less then the price of a moderate off site AND have a full kitchen. But I couldn't really find one that looked nice enough, so i'm back to on site! :lmao:

And just the other day, i budgeted out if I stayed at a deluxe. I don't know what I like about them really...I love the theme of the Poly and Animal Kingdom. So that's why I would want to stay at those, the deluxes just seem more upscale, which i really like. But I can't afford them :\ But i'm okay with staying at a mod! They do look nice as well :)

We usually go for quick trips-- just 3 or 4 days, so proximity to monorail saves valuable time. Also, with very tall teens who don't fit 2-in-a-bed, the daybed allows us to stay in 1 room, rather than 2.

Well, here's my two cents . . .

I live here and have an AP, so I can do day trips any time. When I go on "vacation" I want to stay at a nice resort where I can have a great time whether I go to the parks or not. For me, I spend about half my time at the resort and about half in the parks. Location does matter to me, because I focus on whatever parks are closest. I spent 10 days at WL in September, and only went to MK. I will be spending 10 days at BC in December and focusing on Epcot and DHS. I probably won't go to MK or AK on that trip. I enjoy the recreational facilities at the resort and the other activities like the beach movies. So most of the time I stay deluxe or DVC.

However, I do have some 1-3 night trips now and then, for things like after hours parties where I feel it will be too late (and I will be too tired) to drive home afterward. I am more likely to pick a value or moderate for those trips.

Interior corridors matter to me a lot during hot, rainy weather, and especially on my September trip during the peak of hurricane season. If there is a hurricane and you are at a value or moderate you are confined to your room. If you are somewhere like WL, you can get out of your room and move around in the building. But there are times of year, like in the spring when the temps are moderate and the rain nearly non-existent, that I don't mind separate buildings or exterior corridors.

I don't think it has to be an either/or. Every trip is different, and it's fun to stay different places.

I love Epcot area resorts. I hate spending a lot of time on the buses. A good compromise is Swan/Dolphin. You have two parks in walking distance for the price of a Mod.

I love Epcot area resorts. I hate spending a lot of time on the buses. A good compromise is Swan/Dolphin. You have two parks in walking distance for the price of a Mod.

The issue, of course, is then you need to pay to get yourself to and from the airport.

The issue, of course, is then you need to pay to get yourself to and from the airport.

Yes you do. On the page before this one I mentioned that even after paying for a town car both ways, I still save lots of money over the WDW Epcot resorts.

What an odd question.

People stay where they want to and because they can afford it. Some prefer (or require) the extra space the deluxes offer. Some do it for the bigger, nicer pools, or the interior corridors, or the onsite TS restaurants, or the access to the Theme Parks by foot or by monorail or by boat.

What is worth spending money on to one person may not be to another. When we pay out of pocket, we stay at Pop. On our last trip, DH's uncle gave us his DVC points to use and we loved the resorts! If we could afford to stay at a deluxe OOP we would. They felt more luxurious, but I still love the values and the mods.

Yep factor that in your trip cost.

$65 plus tip for all 5 of us to MCO from S&D.

We walked out of the Dolphin-they waved a Town Car over and we were at MCO in 25 minutes.

ME is 3 hours before, so we had about 1 and 1/2 hours extra at the pool-which is worth a lot on a MN winter day.

Now with FP+, we will schedule attractions between 11AM and 4PM on check out day at either EPCOT or DHS, then no buses to get there and back to our EPCOT resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter