Why some don't like to mobile order?

One thing we’ve noticed with mobile ordering- and this could be just a coincidence , but the portion sizes are minuscule!! This was from the food court before at ASM- this “platter” used to have twice as much food and was $4 cheaper 591515

For me...I don't want or like to use my phone on vacation. Or a computer. I'm there to relax, and to me it's not relaxing to pull my phone out to order. So I certainly don't have a problem with mobile ordering, I just don't want to do it myself if I don't have to. Also about 75% of the time I don't bring my phone into the parks w/ me. I am right in the demographic below, but I realize I am in the minority-

"20-50 year olds are the market and most if not all are heavy mobile phone users."

I really, really like the opportunity to unplug once in a while, and that is one of the reasons I go on vacation - to unplug. So that is why I would prefer not to mobile order if I didn't have to.

I agree with this completely - At home I'm on my phone for work related things multiple times a day, and having to pull my phone out to use My Disney Experience is a constant reminder of the things I'm on vacation to get away from.

I tried it once on our last trip in 2019 at Aloha Isle for my Dole Whip. I was excited to use it. I ordered and paid and never got a notification that my order was ready. I couldn't even get close to the counter to ask as it was so packed. After at least a half hour, I gave up and walked away. Never did get a notification.

Going next year. I might try it again, but who knows.

I'm in my 30s and definitely didn't have a cell phone in my teens.
I'm knocking on the door of 50, and bought my first mobile phone when I was maybe 23ish. It was like a miniature brick, LOL! My current non-smart "flip"-phone (It actually slides open to give me a full keyboard---that I never use, LOL!) is an amazing upgrade from that old thing! But I could knock someone out with that first one if I needed to! 😉 But even that was less bulky than the bag phone my dad had for his car back in the day!

Reasons I don't like mobile ordering:

they have lost my order due to internet problems twice now
sometimes I have a special request or question
I enjoy contact with my fellow human beings
I have an illicit business and prefer to deal in cash
I like to make Disney pay salaries as it is the thing they hate the most in this world

Last edited:
Well, I haven't been in a couple years so have not done mobile ordering. So I will wait to see how it works for us on our next trip. Keeping an open mind. But a few issues I see for me personally, is #1 - my phone doesn't stay charged all day now, so down in WDW that will definitely be an issue. #2 - my phone has no room for more apps now, so I'll need to up my storage for sure and most importantly actually is #3 - I can't see my phone with my prescription sunglasses on, it kind of fuzzes out, I need to change glasses whenever I look at the phone, that will certainly be an issue! (I need another hand - one for each set of glasses and one for the phone...) We shall see in a few months!

Leaving for Disney World tomorrow, question, is there a way to have more than one credit card connected to the Disney Experience app, so that different people can pay for different meals? That is why I am scared of it, we like to alternate who pays for meals.

My DH hates mobile ordering anything... even at home.
He eats his burgers plain sometimes has strange request and it takes longer to remove things then walk in and order.
Just to put in perspective he also hates the self checkout . He believes we are taking jobs away from people and diminishing customer service.
Of course jobs are being eliminated, even though much earlier in this thread someone much more knowledgeable and smarter than I am explained that keeping people in jobs that are obsolete is not doing them a favor. I suppose they're much better off collecting unemployment while they get the skills and education necessary for a job pertaining to today's economy. Hopefully they have the funds to pay for that education/training.:)

I last went in January and can say I generally liked mobile order but it did have issues. We did get burned once trying to mobile order and doing it too late and not being able to get a pick up time.

We also had one time we ordered early and got notification that our food was ready without us saying we were there. We shot over quickly to pick up food and when got there was told someone had already picked up our order. Manager was able to replace the food but was odd to say the least.

Leaving for Disney World tomorrow, question, is there a way to have more than one credit card connected to the Disney Experience app, so that different people can pay for different meals? That is why I am scared of it, we like to alternate who pays for meals.
Yes, you can enter a different card number every time.

We shot over quickly to pick up food and when got there was told someone had already picked up our order. Manager was able to replace the food but was odd to say the least.
Thats one thing I always worry about even at home with mobile order. They never check for a name or number lol

So when you order you can input a different card number each time? I thought you used the one that was saved on the app. Thank you so much for the help.
Yes. You may be thinking of using your magic band to tap and pay. This is very different. But that can be changed too.

Whoever is ordering would likely have their own card set up in their account. That card will automatically come up to pay with, but there is a link that says "Use a different card" and another link for using a gift card.

Yes. You may be thinking of using your magic band to tap and pay. This is very different. But that can be changed too.

Whoever is ordering would likely have their own card set up in their account. That card will automatically come up to pay with, but there is a link that says "Use a different card" and another link for using a gift card.
That is great. Thanks everybody. Heading that way in 9 hours. Well, after a stop in Alabama that is,

The main reason I don't like it is that there seems to be no option for substitutions or customizations. Sometimes they at least have options to leave out certain things, which is helpful. But as others have suggested, I'd prefer a text box to enter any special requests -- substitutions, customizations, etc. If they would include this and then actually do as requested, that would be a major improvement.

I'm not a fan of mobile ordering because 1) I like to see the fresh food choices before ordering (stock pick may not be 100% reflective), 2) I like to be able to make substitutions or have extra sauce, etc 3) it was glitchy in March- told us our order was purged because we didn't pick up in time...meanwhile was only few min from having placed it. It also seemed like there were much fewer choices, but not sure that there would be more in person.

It also seemed like there were much fewer choices, but not sure that there would be more in person.

The fewer choices is/was due to covid, supply issues, etc. If anything the mobile order has more items. Some places have items available only via mobile order that aren't on the walk up menu.

I'm with you OP. I used mobile order all last week and thought it was the best thing ever. It was especially nice in that they would restrict access to the actual sit-down area for people picking up orders so that there were tables available. There was no need for anyone in the party to seek and hold a table while everyone else went to order and get the food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter