• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

why should i still be a dvc owner

You have to want to go to Disney and go frequently for DVC to be valuable. Otherwise, join Marriott Vacation Club. They have the same (similar) point system, similar accommodations, and you'll save money. We're staying at Sabal Palms just off Epcot Center Dr. and I-4 (next to Marriott World Center) ahead of our BCV stay this March. I'm paying cash rates (we don't own Marriott) for a 2 BR villa with access to the Marriott World Center amenities for less than my math on a standard room at Coronado 2 posts up.

Also, don't own timeshares for perks - the perk is the room. Anything else is extra and has to be thought of that way. DVC does not control what Disney World ultimately does as far as things like dining plans, restaurants, transportation, etc.

I see this comparison a lot. Would you have stayed in the same accommodation if you'd been paying cash? Before DVC, we stayed in moderate resorts. We did stay in a Contemporary Garden Wing room once, but otherwise Port Orleans (Dixie Landing) and Coronado have been our cash stay picks. Even post DVC if staying on cash we've stayed at a moderate.

I'm fully aware that I save money comparably to what I'd spend on the same accommodations, But do I break even to what I'd spend if I hadn't purchased (which I know is unfair because then it's not a like comparison in room type/amenities). We have a trip coming up in March and our "cost" for the BCV 1-Bedroom we have would be:
  • Dues on points: $2,657 (does not account for purchase price on top of dues)
  • Cash rate: $9,588
  • Rental rate: $7,315 (renting points through a 3rd party)
  • Cash 35% off rate: $6,236 (which really isn't available - no discounted rates offered as of today)
As comparison, a 2 queen room at Coronado is:
  • Cash rate: $2,813
  • Cash 35% off rate: $2,110 (which is really only 25% as the discount is "up to" 35%)

So, I am getting an extra room, larger bathroom, and a kitchen for about the same as I'd pay normally at Coronado but at a premium for the current available discounts. So for us, I believe DVC is more expensive, but we're getting accommodations and amenities we wouldn't otherwise get.

This is accurate... you pay the rate of an upscale value or moderate. In exchange for comitting to 50 years, you are basically upgraded to deluxe for free. Only issue is with the perks of deluxe going aqay (GF Orchestra, Poly lobby, etc.), that value proposition really goes away.

I do not know. Maybe i should try renting pts out for a while and see what is to come. I just do not see the perks getting better. Look at the old dining plan you got an app. entree dessert drink and tips was included leccellar was 1 now its 2 then we lost an app or dessert tip was not included cost for plan increased. annual pass discount was ok / great for renewals now look at the cost if they keep them. price and avail. for a day park use, no fast passes at one time dvc had 4 day 4 park tickets $160.00 was not that long ago extra magic hrs moon light madness less or no fireworks { at the price we paid for nearly a lifetime commitment to go and give disney our money vacation time off and word of mouth advertising LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO US

My opinion cannot be persuaded by hearing, "perks were never a guarantee". Perks were certainly pointed out as a sales incentive and taken into consideration for the affordability and ease of vacationing at Disney. It's a bit depressing for my family, as the added costs keep piling up. We still love Disney, but we're finding it more challenging to afford bringing various family members on our dime. We wanted it to be a gift that kept giving, but we're now having a hard time keeping up in retirement. Of course, we expected and planned for inflationary costs, but certainly couldn't forsee the extent of disappearing perks that would end up costing us significantly more $ and taking away some of the carefree elements of our vacations. I'm willing to make concessions knowing how challenging COVID has been for many, especially the vacation/travel industry. Hoping for the best when and if we get back to some sort of normalcy.

We have a trip booked for early December. It's a 2BR lake view villa at VGF for one week. We're there for a meeting. Comparing our buy-in price + 2021 dues for the 433 points, the cost is about $400 less than 2 regular hotel rooms at the steeply discounted convention rate ($295 + tax per night).

It might not be a huge savings but I'm getting so much more in a 2BR villa. And that's why, even though I'm disillusioned with all of the cutbacks and changes, we hang onto our DVC contracts. There may come a time when we decide that just going there for a resort-only stay isn't worth the hassle of air travel. And that will probably be the point when we decide to sell.

If perks should not be considered, other than lack of knowledge, why would anyone buy direct rather than resale on the original 14?

Reasons to buy direct include ability to stay at All resorts including RIV..as well as use those points in different ways resale points can’t.

But, the perks being discussed here are not DVC related in anyway so if these things are a concern, then even buying resale makes no sense at all

Reasons to buy direct include ability to stay at All resorts including RIV..as well as use those points in different ways resale points can’t.

But, the perks being discussed here are not DVC related in anyway so if these things are a concern, then even buying resale makes no sense at all

The ability to stay at all resorts is a perk that can be removed at any time.

The ability to stay at all resorts is a perk that can be removed at any time.

Not in relation to buying direct vs resale, which was the question I was answering,

Say someone buys direct at SSR. Those points are currently good at all the resorts, including RIV. Buying SSR resale can only be used at L14.

In order for that to be changed, the resort has to be removed from BVTC, which then applies to all points at that resort, whether you bought direct or resale

So, yes, exchanging to other home resorts is only an option as long as the place you own points remains in the club.

However, that has always been the case and always the same for resale vs. direct. It is one of those changes that has to apply equally to L14 owners no matter how they buy.

The question was why buy direct now, and the answer is because right now, you can stay at all the resorts...you can’t with resale.

When I first started going to WDW there was no Magical Express you paid for shuttle service. Then magical express came great! Over the years many perks have come and new ones replaced it. Sometimes better sometimes not. Prices went up but so did food, gas, housing, etc in our everyday lives. Global pandemic hits and things get cut. Yes while I believe Disney is using the pandemic as a cover to do away with a lot of things they want to change (and so are most other corporations) I do also believe that there are things they must cut to keep things that are still there. I was shocked when I saw the reaction about the magical express. I don’t use it, fortunately I live in driving distance, but all I ever saw on boards was how awful it was, how long I had to wait, having to leave 3 hours early. I expected people to be happy it’s was gone. I know many business owners who had to cut certain things for many reasons stemming from the pandemic.
im not making excuses for Disney I’m certain they are exploiting the situation BUT I would rather have a scaled down open Disney World than A closed Disney Land, Disney Paris, and so on.
i actually just bought DVC with panic selling I feel I got a great deal because I want my vacation rooms locked in and any other perks that Disney Offers well great. In all the research I did here on these boards I was told the whole purpose of buying resale was the cheaper price and forego the perks because they aren’t worth the money. The one thing I took away from all my research here to buy resale was your buying a room only at a resort you want

UGH. I am so not one of those people. I LOVED ME and im super sad they are doing away with it. I absolutely loved getting off the plane and going to the ME bus terminal. It was the perfect entrance to the bubble. No matter how many times i watched the videos I loved them. Its like having to take a boat to an island. It gives you a chance to shed the mainland and all of the stuff that comes with it. It sounds corny but im really going to miss it.

If perks should not be considered, other than lack of knowledge, why would anyone buy direct rather than resale on the original 14?

I purchased direct at Riviera. I love the location and I can foresee it being a great fit for our family. However, I also want the flexibility of possibly staying on the monorail loop since I have kids that are of an age where they still love Magic Kingdom. I could have purchased two resale contracts (one for Riviera, one for Poly as an example), but I opted for the direct purchase for the simplicity of our first contract.

Plus, I really wanted that backpack. 🤣

I purchased direct at Riviera. I love the location and I can foresee it being a great fit for our family. However, I also want the flexibility of possibly staying on the monorail loop since I have kids that are of an age where they still love Magic Kingdom. I could have purchased two resale contracts (one for Riviera, one for Poly as an example), but I opted for the direct purchase for the simplicity of our first contract.

Plus, I really wanted that backpack. 🤣
Yes that is why I did not include RIV

I see this comparison a lot. Would you have stayed in the same accommodation if you'd been paying cash? Before DVC, we stayed in moderate resorts. We did stay in a Contemporary Garden Wing room once, but otherwise Port Orleans (Dixie Landing) and Coronado have been our cash stay picks. Even post DVC if staying on cash we've stayed at a moderate.

I'm fully aware that I save money comparably to what I'd spend on the same accommodations, But do I break even to what I'd spend if I hadn't purchased (which I know is unfair because then it's not a like comparison in room type/amenities). We have a trip coming up in March and our "cost" for the BCV 1-Bedroom we have would be:
  • Cash 35% off rate: $6,236 (which really isn't available - no discounted rates offered as of today)
My signature shows my past stays, which are mostly at Christmas. In the mid to late 90’s while staying at the Beach Club, I was paying in excess of $400 a night per room for two rooms which was a lot of money. If I would have purchased DVC in 1994 when I was first introduced to it, my money savings would have been incredible. Am I happy with DVC? I have some concerns but knowing that it has let me take my children and grandchildren to WDW with premium affordable accommodations makes me very happy. Regarding the nickel and dimming and cost cutting of the Bob Igor era has made Disney a less enjoyable experience in the past 8 years. My next Christmas trip in 2021 will decide on whether after 41 years of going to the Disney, has it reached its past due date.

Last edited:
Yes that is why I did not include RIV

Terribly sorry! I missed the "original 14" part.

If you want to own at one of the original 14, but you want the option to use your points at Riviera, that might be a reason why you'd choose direct.

Terribly sorry! I missed the "original 14" part.

If you want to own at one of the original 14, but you want the option to use your points at Riviera, that might be a reason why you'd choose direct.
yes that is a reason to buy direct based on contract terms (not perks)

Other hotels do provide shuttles. Those that dont also arent charging $700 a night for a standard room. Disney also isnt coming close to regularly filling up at current prices...as a matter of fact, they literally never have. Will in shrink crowds? Sure but so will charging a million dollars a day. Youve ultimately proven the point that it is not longer about the guest experience which is part of.what most are getting at.
yes, it is not about the guest experience...correct. disney is a for profit business, period. we all want to go the seychelles, or the maldives, etc. disney prices have gotten to the point where it is a luxury vacation akin to going to the maldives (moneywise). people willing and able to pay the current prices want a less crowded experience. so its like...disney costs (say) $7000. people screaming at the top of their lungs that that is too much are already priced out...those arent the people to worry about. people like us are saying "ok, it costs $7000 and we have decided that we are still going to pay. we wish it would cost 9 or 10thousand and start reducing crowds". people are ok with paying $12000 to go the maldives because when you get there, you get the exact vacation you were expecting for the price with hardly another soul around. disney prices are in a transition zone where people who can just barely not afford it are screaming for lower prices and people who have decided this is where their vacation dollar goes hell or high water wish it was more expensive to drive crowds out. disney needs to pick a street and get cheaper to make the crowds happy and have full gates all the time or dial up the prices significantly for those who are willing to pay more for a better experience (not unlike those willing to pay for a dessert party for reserved fireworks viewing. those people are ultimately paying $89 for a couple of brownies and a good spot for a 20 min show. "seriously!?"...yes, seriously).

in regards to hotel prices, disney charges what they are comfortable with. like, because you say my car is worth $15000 and thats all you will give me doesnt mean its not worth 20 to me and i wont accept a penny less...its disneys hotels and they are full to their liking at the prices they decide they want.

As comparison, a 2 queen room at Coronado is:
  • Cash rate: $2,813
  • Cash 35% off rate: $2,110 (which is really only 25% as the discount is "up to" 35%)

So, I am getting an extra room, larger bathroom, and a kitchen for about the same as I'd pay normally at Coronado but at a premium for the current available discounts. So for us, I believe DVC is more expensive, but we're getting accommodations and amenities we wouldn't otherwise get.
agree on this. though comparing the cash rate for equal accomodations is fun, the right way to look at dvc is "stay at deluxe for the price of a moderate". now, for people who did, or would, stay at deluxe pre dvc or instead...you are almost crazy for not owning dvc. if you are a deluxe stayer period, you should own dvc period. haha.

its like asking "why would you buy name brand sunglasses for $400 when you get something almost the same for $50 anywhere?". the key word there was almost. some things are worth more than "almost" to anyone in relation to something...beit a tv, a coffeemaker, a pair of jeans, or dvc points. some points (direct) are just better (either a little or a lot depending on your needs and wants) than others (resale). being able to stay at any resort now or in the next 49 years is a big reason for direct buyers. you cannot make this a dollars and cents argument. there is no argument...you will unequivocally save more money point for point buying resale. thats not direct buyers primary concern or motivator.

agree on this. though comparing the cash rate for equal accomodations is fun, the right way to look at dvc is "stay at deluxe for the price of a moderate". now, for people who did, or would, stay at deluxe pre dvc or instead...you are almost crazy for not owning dvc. if you are a deluxe stayer period, you should own dvc period. haha.

It used to be marketed as deluxe for the price of a value!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter