why should i still be a dvc owner

keithal

Earning My Ears
I do not know. Maybe i should try renting pts out for a while and see what is to come. I just do not see the perks getting better. Look at the old dining plan you got an app. entree dessert drink and tips was included leccellar was 1 now its 2 then we lost an app or dessert tip was not included cost for plan increased. annual pass discount was ok / great for renewals now look at the cost if they keep them. price and avail. for a day park use, no fast passes at one time dvc had 4 day 4 park tickets $160.00 was not that long ago extra magic hrs moon light madness less or no fireworks { at the price we paid for nearly a lifetime commitment to go and give disney our money vacation time off and word of mouth advertising LOOK WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO US

You were never guaranteed those perks when buying DVC. They were just extras. I mean, you want to go back further and look at the mid 90s when you used to get a length of stay pass included for each points stay on property, that was the greatest perk they ever offered, but we survived when that stopped. You need to make the determination for yourself, but if you’re basing it solely on perks associated with Disney, you’re not making the best decision. Look at the whole picture and what you purchased this for. Also, periods are helpful when posting :)

Sorry I'll download grammar link later. I bought in 1994 OKW when the castle was a birthday cake. I saw the big picture I wanted everything and more disney had to offer. If I wanted just a room, I could have saved a lot of cash & stayed just outside downtown disney.

Many people are questioning their DVC now. Regardless of wether things have change now because of COVID, some perks have come and gone regardless.

We are only guaranteed to stay at our home resort. Anything in addition to that is nice.

Now price increases for DVC, merchandise, food and keep charging for extra events and cutting into park hours might be something I would start to think about.

We just missed the free park passes for members when we bought. We knew nothing about it then - so no biggie. For some new buyers - they don't know what they might be missing/missed.

If you were to buy, I would definitely say to really consider your purchase. I think prices are high. Ticket prices for someone with a family is high, etc. For many, it's not even an issue.

It's up to each individual to ask themselves if they want to keep going to Disney moving forward. Is it still worth it to you and your family? Do you enjoy it? I know I am going to give them some slack for a few trips. We bought many years ago (2000) - I am not sure I would buy today or definitely not buy as many points. But we are in a different stage of our life than 20 years ago too.

We still enjoy it and look forward to going. For us, we don't spend as much time in the parks. If they were to discontinue the AP, we would do more non-park trips. Buy a few days of base tickets and only go to the parks half of our days. Use DVC as a home base for certain trips, etc. etc. We are also looking to add more non-DVC/Disney travel. Time will tell - but you need to look at your situation. How long have you bee a member, kids? How often do you go, where are you coming from? Do you still love/enjoy going to Disney? Will you be making Disney trips in the future if you sell? How many points/contracts?

Good luck deciding. Many members are on the fence.

The great thing about buying dvc when you did is the low buy in price. Sell your points now and you will make money! And, have all the years of good memories at disney, using those points - when the perks were much better!

We pretty much agree with you. We once had 850 points over 4 contracts. We have sold 2 contracts, and have another one listed with a broker. Disney just isn’t the same to us either!

The 'perks were never a guarantee' response is always given anytime a member posts this sort of thread. That may be true but we all don't pay the high price tag for DVC Timeshare (remember it is a timeshare) and annual dues to basically be one and the same with regular cash booking Disney vacationers. We buy for some leg up.

We initially bought in 2006 and had 3 little kids. We wanted the 1 BR villas with separate room for us parents. The washer and dryer a big plus too. We also wanted to stay every year. We liked the idea of the Magical Express if we were to fly. Just get off plane and onto bus and tour luggage appears in your room later. That is going away now too.

We also loved that DP back when it was like $40 for adults and $10 for kids (we had 3 still under 10 then). And it included app, entree, desert and tips. First used it in 2005 and were wowed. They just kept taking away things and cranking up the price so it was not worth it anymore. So we started buying TIW card. That too cranked up in cost and now it too is gone. Maybe this will come back but rumors are that it won't.

Also loved that we, resort stayers, got EMH. They were plentiful at one time. Loved those late hours. Every trip we had several choices of late EMH to take advantage of. Gone too now.

Before buying APs, we were buing non expiry tickets. Loved loved loved those. They too went away.

We are supposed to check in tomorrow. There was no ticket purchase. We go again in Sept and were there last month too. Just can't buy, at these high ticket prices, every time we go...and now we go a couple times a year. Had been adding a lot of points, getting the APs and going like 3 times a year. Was up to 600 points. When things started to sour for us...and it was before covid hit...we began selling them off. Thank goodness we bought several contracts in smaller increments. We now have 275.

Last edited:
Sorry I'll download grammar link later. I bought in 1994 OKW when the castle was a birthday cake. I saw the big picture I wanted everything and more disney had to offer. If I wanted just a room, I could have saved a lot of cash & stayed just outside downtown disney.
This. They get top dollar for their timeshare...Disney does...because it is supposed to offer some sort of benefit for doing WDW. That benefit isn't just a plain old worn out room. It should be more. Or else we all would have to give away our timeshare like others do. Our friends bought Sheraton Vistana timeshare in Orlando for like $300. They took us one Christmas....we had a 2 BR and they had one too. Their $300 timeshares got us 2 units for Xmas week. They pay similar dues to us. But they can buy in for a steal. DVC is now selling 200 RR points for how much....$50,000? I'll take same set up for $300, Alex.

And being on site isn't that much of a draw anymore. No ME. Long bus waits. Currently no boats running. Monorail not running Epcot. Monorail breaking down all the time. Can just Uber in from off site.

If you have that many questions/concerns, then you should probably consider selling. We bought in 1992, added on at BLT in 1999. We had free park passes for 8 years. Crammed four of us in a studio for probably 15 years to save points.

Sure things have changed, but we are happy with the 385 points we have and would not consider selling, even after we have bought a house in Orlando about 20 minutes from the Epcot parking lot. We still really enjoy short stays on-site, with less park time as we get older. Planning on a stay in a Fort Wilderness cabin next December.

Our kids still really enjoy and look forward to WDW, and now we have two grandkids to bring. It is a lot easier to stay on site for a few days with the whole crew than stay at the house, so we usually do both. Plus the kids can use the points to go on their own occasionally.

I would not equate the current conditions to those that will hopefully exist in another year or so. Sure perks and amenities come and go, as they always have.

Frankly my biggest complaint about the evolution of DVC—- and all Disney hotels—- is the “untheming” of the rooms. Seems to happen more as every renovation occurs.

mac_tlc

Frankly my biggest complaint about the evolution of DVC—- and all Disney hotels—- is the “untheming” of the rooms. Seems to happen more as every renovation occurs.

mac_tlc

I think this point right here nails.the bigger picture. Sure to your family, x doesnt matter but y does. The fact that there are SO many negative changes and every family can find at least one is a huge problem imo. (I agree btw)

DVC, IMO, was a way to ensure a less expensive way to be a WDW onsite guests and enjoy the level of enjoyment that came with that vs being an offsite guest.

So, this question is really more about that and whether visiting WDW and staying onsite it worth it. Many cash guests struggling as well with this I

For us, as long as parks exist, the ease of onsite will will si DVC remains a plus for us. We did not take advantage of many of the things that have come and gone. Yes, DME has been used more often, but we also did an Uber with 5 for $30/each way. Only got dining plan with guests so they could budget. When DH comes, rental car is always used.

If one truly feels it’s not worth it to go to WDW, regardless of being DVC, and offsite is better, then I agree evaluating DVC ownership makes sense

For us, the two are not connected. !

Certainly tough questions these days!

I feel I’m ready to shed either one or both of our larger contracts (leaving us with just 25 points for perks) ... but DH isn’t ready for that conversation just yet. Of course, the biggest problem is the one-way gate DVD has built in recent years using restrictions. Once we sell ... there are no practical paths that lead back to owning at our present level.

Am I so thoroughly convinced that we are done with WDW, and DVC as a whole, that I’m willing to sell? Ah, no ... not yet, not today. Maybe we’ll revisit this thought later in the year. For now, I’ll be happy to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado (San Diego coastal property that is likely the inspiration for Disney’s Grand Floridian) using our DVC points and kinda “wait this out.”

why should i still be a dvc owner?

To me, that's analogous to asking "why should I stay in the stock market?" after a correction. It depends on your goals. If those have changed, it's time to adjust, or maybe to get out altogether. Or maybe, time to just wait it out, or even to go "all in" (buy low, sell high).

We're choosing to wait. We still want to go to Disney every year. I strongly believe the changes & deletions are either temporary or will be replaced with something better, once the pandemic is controlled & crowds return.

With DME gone, EMH gone, and APs gone, there really is no reason to buy direct right now, and we don't know if the APs are coming back may be Disney stops selling APs entirely at both DL & WDW. Maybe they think people who go 2 to 5 times a year will pay for tickets for each trip now. With all these "perks" and services gone Disney doesn't seem so "magical" for on-site guests anymore, much less DVC owners.

While the X is all we are guaranteed is a true argument it is not very useful

How many would have paid Disney timeshare prices and maintenance without placing some value on perks.

To the end point what percentage would have bought if there was not an expectation if not a guarantee that they would be attached to the parks. Very few at Disney prices would be my guess

Put me in the camp of the "perks are not guaranteed" owners, and I also realize that this is unprecedented times for the company. Unfortunately in any business, "perks" are usually the 1st thing cut. They technically cant be at the capacity numbers and hold special events like they had in the past so of course there will be less perks. They cant offer ticket deals if their idea of "full" is different then the "covid guideline's" version.

My value is, and will be, in the ability to have my room basically paid for whenever I want to go.I'm holding b/c I have used it well in the past and made great memories with my kids when they were young, recognize our current situation, but also look forward to the future when just me and my wife traveling for fun and the 'perks' may not be such an importance.

Now I also say this as a resale owner who bought in pretty low and have a grandfathered in blue card. I say this b/c in these exact situations, I find the whole direct/resale slap fight useless and how DVC painted themselves into a corner. Direct purchase price is astronomical right now and for current times show that what they are "selling" vs what they are "giving" are 2 completely different things.

why should i still be a dvc owner?

To me, that's analogous to asking "why should I stay in the stock market?" after a correction. It depends on your goals. If those have changed, it's time to adjust, or maybe to get out altogether. Or maybe, time to just wait it out, or even to go "all in" (buy low, sell high).

We're choosing to wait. We still want to go to Disney every year. I strongly believe the changes & deletions are either temporary or will be replaced with something better, once the pandemic is controlled & crowds return.
I'm going to try to be as optimistic as you. We've owned since 2007, before they started restrictions on resale contracts. We were up to 5 contracts at one time totaling 376 points. We now own 2 contracts for 340 points and have a 2nd grand child coming. My joy now is future trips with the next generation of our family. Will it be the same as when we had little ones to take, probably not. But I can't wait to see the expressions on their faces when they discover the magic of Disney.

Last edited:
One last thing about just being guarantied a room. I understood I was able to bank and borrow all my point now " for now" can only borrow up to half. I can not get the room I want for as long as I want because of this new policy is this also a lost perk that was never intended to be around for ever?

One last thing about just being guarantied a room. I understood I was able to bank and borrow all my point now " for now" can only borrow up to half. I can not get the room I want for as long as I want because of this new policy is this also a lost perk that was never intended to be around for ever?
Yes, you are only guaranteed to use your allotment of points in the one single UY your have, banking and borrowing are "allowed" by DVC but not guaranteed.

maybe that's why the new thing same dates every years is an optional choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter