Why resort recommends scooters in hall

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
First, fortunately, I haven't seen any scooters left in the hall. But at both Kidani and VGF this trip, housekeepers, bell services, etc. have really pushed me to do it.I think I may have a theory as to why. Lots of dings in furniture, doorways, and doors. They've been especially encouraging it here at VGF. Anyone else feel that way?

Given that there has been a rash of thefts of scooters from the halls (even those that take the keys with them have had them stolen from the Polynesian and Grand Floridian I know for sure), I would politely remind them that if they continue to encourage this, not only are they violating fire codes, but they could be held responsible for any theft.

I definitely would not leave it out there.

Sounds like a situation where they are just thinking about it from their own point of view instead of general safety and security.

It may also be a case where management has failed to train them properly in regards to where scooters should be stored and where they shouldn't and *why*. So the CMs recommending leaving them in the hallway may not be aware of e.g. it is a violation of the fire code to do so and may not be aware of or think of the potential theft / vandalism issues.

SW

Wait, there's been a rash of scooter theft there? I haven't heard about this. How weird! Who's stealing scooters out of a Disney resort?

Wait, there's been a rash of scooter theft there? I haven't heard about this. How weird! Who's stealing scooters out of a Disney resort?
I don't know what scumbags would do that, but DH met a few different people on our last two trips who had their scooters stolen from the hallways and has heard from Gold Mobility the they have had a few stolen as well, they mentioned it to remind not to park in the hallways, even for a few minutes, as some did so just to run into the room to grab something and come back, also from hallways. And obviously, they planned to do it, as all of the individuals DH spoke with had taken their key with them, which means the person had a key or knew how to out it on neutral and push it. Give. The number he has heard from personally is why I say there has been a rash of scooter theft.

LOL, except the individuals that he met were their own personal scooters and some not cheap ones.

That would really stink to have your expensive scooter stolen. Lesson learned I guess. Even if Disney tells someone to put it in the hallway, there is no way any judge would see this as Disney's fault. I may be a bit more street wise then most or less trusting, but there is no way I would leave anything out in the hallway that I would miss if it was taken. Maybe I have just worked with the public too long to not trust anyone. Yikes. I hope these people go back to Disney and at least let them know that they are getting stolen so they stop telling people to leave it in the hallway. Too many people are way too trusting.

I don't know what scumbags would do that, but DH met a few different people on our last two trips who had their scooters stolen from the hallways and has heard from Gold Mobility the they have had a few stolen as well, they mentioned it to remind not to park in the hallways, even for a few minutes, as some did so just to run into the room to grab something and come back, also from hallways. And obviously, they planned to do it, as all of the individuals DH spoke with had taken their key with them, which means the person had a key or knew how to out it on neutral and push it. Give. The number he has heard from personally is why I say there has been a rash of scooter theft.
to put in neutral is change a lever very easy in about a second and you can push it anywhere without a key

to put in neutral is change a lever very easy in about a second and you can push it anywhere without a key
True
and many ECVs use the same ‘generic’ key.
It may also be a case where management has failed to train them properly in regards to where scooters should be stored and where they shouldn't and *why*. So the CMs recommending leaving them in the hallway may not be aware of e.g. it is a violation of the fire code to do so and may not be aware of or think of the potential theft / vandalism issues.

SW
It could be, but also could be that they were trained and just not thinking or that they weren’t trained on that.

LOL I love it when Disney CMs violate the company's own published rules...

I refer you to this page, from the Walt Disney World Resort website, under the section marked "Prohibited Activities" (it's roughly halfway down the page)

One thing I did, that I hope gets some action, is I told Monica from Gold Mobility, about CMs encouraging guests to leave ECVs in the hall. She was surprised and NOT too happy to hear that they're doing this. She planned to pass that info along to GMS management. BTW, another VERY successful rental from Gold Mobility Scooters.

Aren’t a lot of Mousekeeping and other hotel staff contractors nowadays, and not reallyDisney employees at all? That could explain the different standards.

Aren’t a lot of Mousekeeping and other hotel staff contractors nowadays, and not reallyDisney employees at all? That could explain the different standards.

Regardless, I think there are just a *lot* of new folks right now... and some of them may not be fully trained, or sufficiently trained...

Regardless, I think there are just a *lot* of new folks right now... and some of them may not be fully trained, or sufficiently trained...
I wouldn't leave a scooter in the hall. Security issues is enough a reason.

I don't know details regarding fire codes. I haven't measured hall widths. I don't know if a scooter is considered an obstruction or impedes operations. Housekeeping carts are left on the hall.

Disney tells guests not to hang bathing suites on the balcony rail. Scooters in the hall isn't specifically addressed.

It would be trivial to include scooters on the hall as prohibited.

I'm not going to fault guests who rely information given by CM

I don't know details regarding fire codes. I haven't measured hall widths. I don't know if a scooter is considered an obstruction or impedes operations. Housekeeping carts are left on the hall.

Disney tells guests not to hang bathing suites on the balcony rail. Scooters in the hall isn't specifically addressed.

I get that some cast members are saying this, but when does it become common sense to not leave any of your personal belongings in the hallway? Why is it that some excuse a scooter, but would be angry if something like their luggage was left out? There is no difference, you are using public space to store your personal belongings. How can anyone feel that is justified?

I get that some cast members are saying this, but when does it become common sense to not leave any of your personal belongings in the hallway? Why is it that some excuse a scooter, but would be angry if something like their luggage was left out? There is no difference, you are using public space to store your personal belongings. How can anyone feel that is justified?
I wouldn't leave a scooter in the hall.

To answer your question, companies make accommodations for customers with disabilities. Leaving a scooter in the hall might, to some people, be such an accommodation.

One suggestion is to ask the hotel yo remove furniture, table and chairs for example

One suggestion is to ask the hotel yo remove furniture, table and chairs for example
That is a very good suggestion if anyone thinks there isn't adequate space in the resort room. The hallway is not a good option. It is against fire code, and very frustrating that some CMs recommend doing this. A couple of years ago there was a picture floating around from Poly (?) and the hallway was lined with ECVs making it very hard to maneuver a stroller, another mobility device or housekeeping carts.

I’ve been involved in regulatory, safety and Fire Marshall survey/inspections in hospitals. There are specifics for hospitals, but I believe the basics are the same. The hall width in fire codes usually applies to the actual width of the hallway and bstructions are considered anything that intrudes more than 4 inches from the wall into the hallway.
Anything in an exit/egress hallway is considered to be stored there if it stays in the same place - I think it was for 8 hours or more. Housekeeping carts may be in a hallway, but are moved frequently as Housekeepers clean rooms and they are generally put back into a Housekeeping closet or storage area at the end of use.
At least in the hospital, if a fire alarm goes off, staff need to clear the halls; Housekeeping puts their carts away and other carts (supplies, computers, etc. ) are pushed into storage or unoccupied rooms.

I wouldn't leave a scooter in the hall.

To answer your question, companies make accommodations for customers with disabilities. Leaving a scooter in the hall might, to some people, be such an accommodation.

The person with a disability who wants to leave it in the hall might consider it an accommodation, but it would interfere with safe passage for other people. That would make it not a reasonable accommodation.
That is a very good suggestion if anyone thinks there isn't adequate space in the resort room. The hallway is not a good option. It is against fire code, and very frustrating that some CMs recommend doing this. A couple of years ago there was a picture floating around from Poly (?) and the hallway was lined with ECVs making it very hard to maneuver a stroller, another mobility device or housekeeping carts.
agree. Hard to manouver for everyone, but especially for people with visual impairments who rely upon the walls as pathway guides. Usually there are not many housekeeping carts in the hallway at a time - and they are necessary to the Housekeeper’s work. Allowing ECVs, strollers or other things puts unnecessary obstructions in the way.
Besides that, there is the issue of obstructing paths in case of an actual fire or other emergency evacuation where the halls might be dark or smoke filled and people panicked if they come up against an obstacle in their path out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter