Why is ASMo cheaper that POP and AoA?

dskib

DIS Veteran
I'm pricing out a vacation in November 2013. While my preference is POFQ, $$ is dictation that we might need to go value this time :)

I priced out POP, AoA, and ASMo - all for the same dates and standad rooms, and ASMo is $10/night cheaper that POP and $15/night cheaper than AoA. I had always thought all Value resorts were created equal, but I guess not??

We're looking at a 6 night vaca with several (3) rooms (suites won't work for this crew), so the savings eally adds up!

Why would this be?

The main reason is that Pop and AoA are more popular than the All Stars, at this time. AoA is brand new and Pop has a good reputation. So Disney can get more money for those rooms. That could change in a couple of years. Disney is a for profit business and will charge what the market will bear.

There is also the situation that Pop and AoA are in Orange County. All three All Star resorts are in Osceola County. Osceola has a higher room tax per night than Orange County.

You can interchange the prices with all three of the All Stars.

But PP is correct with AoA and Pop. Part of the popularity with Pop is that it doesn't share a bus.

I did a split stay recently at Pop and ASMo. I had never been to either resort before. I would definitely choose Pop over ASMo on future visits. Both resorts were equally nice, equally well-kept, same room size, etc.

* Pop had a much better food court, had an oven with flames for doing flatbreads, and had an espresso machine. ASMo had no espresso machine, and seemed to have less food choices.

* Pop's gift shop was bigger and more comprehensive than ASMo's. This mattered later when I was looking for a specific jacket that I couldn't find in the right color/size one day at the Emporium (MK), another day at Mouse Gear (Epcot) and still another day at World of Disney (DTD). I remembered I had seen it at Pop, and made a special trip back to try and get it (and they had it in the right size/color). ASMo & ASMu didn't have the jacket at all.

* I stayed in the Mighty Ducks section at ASMo, which is closer to ASMu's bus stop, food court and gift shop than ASMo's facilities. When the ASMu buses unloaded, lots of people got off and walked over to ASMo. So if you stay at ASMo I would recommend these buildings for these conveniences without having to pay the usual premium price based on location. At Pop I stayed in the '70s Section, not lake view but very close to the path and benches along the lake. It was a big lake with nice views of the AoA resort and a bridge across the middle. There were no lakes that featured prominently at the All Star Resorts (that I came across).

* Pop's and AoA's closeness allowed visits across the bridge, to experience completely different food court offerings. And AoA was fabulous to just walk around. I don't recall their gift shop, but it was probably a size like Pop's. You could also use AoA's separate bus service while staying at Pop.

I would give Pop a clear edge. (Personally, I love espresso drinks and that was an important distinction between these hotels. :surfweb:)

I have never stayed at AoA, however in 2009 I stayed at Pop & loved it! didn't spend any time at the pool, however, it was always busy! food court was awesome, as well as gift shop.

Pop is very popular and vary rarely has to discount to fill up rooms.

AoA while still a value has enough amenities that it is a little more perked up than the all stars, plus being new it is not hard to sell non discounted rooms so again not a lot of discounts.

I've not stayed at PoP, but I"ve stayed at ASMu and AoA. I'd choose ASMu over POP, AoA, or ASMo. But that is a personal preference. I"m not a fan of over the top icons as decorations.

We have stayed at all the values exceot AOA I like Music the best by far...it is the smallest and easiest to get around. We especially thought the food court was the least busy. The pool seemed to be larger too.Would stay there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter