Why I Hate the DDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the servers are getting fed up with the dining plan. People use it to their full advantage. While some may not get the appitizer, entree and desert, some people probably do. Theres probably some people who use the entire thing per person. Each person gets an appitizer, entree and desert. The DDP is making the servers work harder, and they are probably getting burnt out. Another thing is they are probably getting tired of having to answer questions whats aloud and what isnt or getting tired of explaining how it works, especially to those who have never had the DDP before and they are using their first TS credit for that trip. If you paying OOP, you dont have to ask those questions. Only questions you have to ask is something about a item on the menu or to tell them to leave such and such off like no onion on my hamburger or something. We dont know how it is behind the scenes when it comes to paying either. They might have to do more work when paying with the DDP. They might have to stand there and try to figure out what the 18% tip is, or who knows what else. Another thing is I just thought of something. We all know that the servers get taxed on the bill and they have to pay that tax by using tip money. Well, what if Disney has it set up to where everyone automatically gets the appitizer, entree and desert. If someone doesnt get a desert or whatever, maybe the server has to pay Disney for that loss. You never know. Why else do you think Im always reading on here that their waiter tried to shove everything on them when they are on the DDP. We just know what we get on the DDP and what the server gets for tips. We however dont know the behind the scenes.

Sorry - but I haven't read this whole thread. Just wanted to say that we have found that we get BETTER service because we are not on the DDP (we don't even do the free one - just a personal choice, which I don't bother to defend any longer, as others have actually called me stupid because of my choice).

We've had servers look at us warily, and sigh while asking if we're on the DDP. When we say no, they actually seem to brighten, and we get great service! Maybe it's just fun for them to "work the table" to see if they get a good tip (better than the standard DDP tip) - who knows!

And altho I can't use the word "hate", I also dislike the DDP for taking away a lot of spontaniety for folks heading to Disney. It's cool to have it as an option, but I don't like the way Disney is steering the whole thing, so folks will HAVE to have it to eat at Disney.

We've had servers look at us warily, and sigh while asking if we're on the DDP. When we say no, they actually seem to brighten, and we get great service! Maybe it's just fun for them to "work the table" to see if they get a good tip (better than the standard DDP tip) - who knows!

We have noticed the same thing. Almost a sigh of relief can be heard when you tell the waiters that you aren't on the DDP.:confused3

Offense Taken...Have you ever done a trip last minute? How would you remedy couples, etc. who decides on a Wed. that Fri. night they would like to return to the GF for a long weekend? They shouldn't be able to eat at TS (which is all they use $$$) for 4 nights but yet there are plenty of GF rooms available how would you fix that?

Just curious, doesn't Disney allot a certain number of tables for walk-up or day-of guests? I didn't know that they can allocate all tables for ADR and reserve the entire restaurant. Granted, we have only been to WDW the past 2 years while the DDP was in effect, but we were actually able to get reservations the-day-of, or during the course of our stay on a few occasions. We usually go in early December, which is not a peak time, but the only restaurants that turned us down without an ADR was Coral Reef last year and San Angel the year before. This year we are planning way ahead, I have had all of our ADR's planned for our Dec trip since early April and we can't actually book them until early June. I am just curious though, my family operates a few restaurants and they would never book a whole restaurant for reservations only. They always keep about a quarter of the tables for those that just show up or call ahead. You do have to show up pretty early on weekends and special occasions, but there should be some tables for those who didn't have the option of planning way ahead, or just want to be spontaneous. JMHO, but we do love the DDP.

Yes I would. As you stated then the "resorts would go to pot," they would take a steep incline in quality just like dining has.

No I said under your reasoning the resorts would go to pot. And I think most people (even you) would be racing to the phone to make ressies.

And there is absolutely no proof that the DDP has caused a decline in dining quality, in my opinion dining is just as good. I think it is sour grapes, pure and simple.

Just wanted to say that we have found that we get BETTER service because we are not on the DDP.

Many others here have disagreed. Like I said many times, we were only on the DDP for half our stay, and got the same service whether we were on the plan or not.
And altho I can't use the word "hate", I also dislike the DDP for taking away a lot of spontaniety for folks heading to Disney.

The ADR situation is exactly the same at Disneyland where there isn't a DDP option.

A lot of guests are just wising up and getting info before they spend 3K for a vacation. It's the same with airlines or any major touristic spot in the world.
Try to find a hotel room in NYC & Broadway tickets for tomorrow night and see what your options are !

I agree that nowadays you just have to plan ahead, no big deal for most (except those darn last minute trips ;) ). However, I still think it's bad business to turn other guests away from a half empty restaurant because somebody didn't cancel their ADR or they haven't shown up yet. The way I understood it (as I wrote before), is that although they are called Advance Dinner Reservations, they aren't really reservations but like PS used to be. You get the next available table. Meaning that your wait could be 5 minutes or 15. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Do I think it's "all because of DDP"? Nah, not all. Maybe in part because more people are doing TS when they otherwise wouldn't. But mostly I just think (and again it's just my opinion) that Disney is overbooking their restaurants with ADRs and not taking walk-ins into as much consideration. Like I said, we were turned away from several half empty restaurants with the "we're full/booked" reason. But my reasoning has really not much to do with DDP but ADRs, so I'm sorry for getting OT!! :)

This summer I will be taking my first trip on the DDP. I'm looking forward to it because it's something new. In the past, we've waited until we've gotten down there to get our TS ADRs...and if they weren't available I didn't blame anybody but ourselved for waiting too long. If we would have planned ahead, we would have been able to eat where we wanted to eat. No big deal to us! After all, restaurants, regardless of where they are, only can serve so many people in one night. If that many people have been booked, then we're out of luck! We still had a wonderful trip!

:)

I cannot comment on the DDP, I have never purchased it. I have observed over the last 4 years however, there has been a small, but general decline in food quality, and reduced menu options as other posters have mentioned.

I agree that nowadays you just have to plan ahead, no big deal for most (except those darn last minute trips ;) ). However, I still think it's bad business to turn other guests away from a half empty restaurant because somebody didn't cancel their ADR or they haven't shown up yet. The way I understood it (as I wrote before), is that although they are called Advance Dinner Reservations, they aren't really reservations but like PS used to be. You get the next available table. Meaning that your wait could be 5 minutes or 15. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. Do I think it's "all because of DDP"? Nah, not all. Maybe in part because more people are doing TS when they otherwise wouldn't. But mostly I just think (and again it's just my opinion) that Disney is overbooking their restaurants with ADRs and not taking walk-ins into as much consideration. Like I said, we were turned away from several half empty restaurants with the "we're full/booked" reason. But my reasoning has really not much to do with DDP but ADRs, so I'm sorry for getting OT!! :)

They are Dining reservations. My travel agent always tells me to arrive 15 minutes before your ADR so they know you will be eating there, and 30-45 minutes before dinner shows.

And in my opinion, I think that the families who order the three courses are taking more time than the families who order the entree and maybe coffee. This may be burning out the waiter/waitress and the tables are not turning over as fast as they would normally without the DDP, which is why some servers may be getting peeved, since less turnover = less tip.

They are Dining reservations. My travel agent always tells me to arrive 15 minutes before your ADR so they know you will be eating there, and 30-45 minutes before dinner shows.

And in my opinion, I think that the families who order the three courses are taking more time than the families who order the entree and maybe coffee. This may be burning out the waiter/waitress and the tables are not turning over as fast as they would normally without the DDP, which is why some servers may be getting peeved, since less turnover = less tip.

Why sould there be less tip if the DDP user is getting an appetizer, entree, drink and dessert? The bill would be larger, thus the tip larger. And many servers have noticed that many guests will tip MORE for good service. Lome don't because they treat the DDP like the plague. I think the ploblem some servers have is they haven't taken the time to understand the plan, then have a hard time answering questions.

Right. And I agree you should always arrive as early as you possibly can (within reason) to your ADR time. But here's a direct quote from my 2007 Passporter.

"...Walt Disney World allows you to make "Advance Reservations" (formerly known as "priority seating"). Unlike traditional reservations, in which a table would be held for your party at a designated time, Disney's advance reservation system gives you the first table that becomes available." (was bold in the book as well).

So it's not a true "reservation", right? And THAT is why I find it strange and surprising that they turn people away (walk-ups). I'm not talking about full restaurants at a peak time, that's obvious to me. I'm talking about walking up to a restaurant and seeing that it's half (or partially) empty and having them tell you they are booked. I just see it as bad for business.

any which way it goes, Disney has an issue with inflexibility.

When people go on a vacation they don't like to be tied by schedules and such.

Disney has gotten so bad that for the average family going for the average amount of days, it's hard not to plan the better part of your days and meals.

For many people, including me, that doesn't feel like a vacation.

I know many people who won't go back to Disney because of this issue.

The way I understood it (as I wrote before), is that although they are called Advance Dinner Reservations, they aren't really reservations but like PS used to be. You get the next available table. Meaning that your wait could be 5 minutes or 15.

You are correct. They are still "priority seating" just called ADR's.

any which way it goes, Disney has an issue with inflexibility.

When people go on a vacation they don't like to be tied by schedules and such.

Disney has gotten so bad that for the average family going for the average amount of days, it's hard not to plan the better part of your days and meals.

For many people, including me, that doesn't feel like a vacation.

I know many people who won't go back to Disney because of this issue.

I can't see this happening- alot of people will continue to go to disney. To me part of the fun is planning my disney vacation including making my dinner reservations well ahead of time. I don't feel tied down by schedules as I enjoy knowing where I can eat and being able to get into that restaurant when I want to. It would drive me nuts not to have an ADR and want to eat at a particular place and not being able to get in!! I think some people think that they can just go to disney and whatever happens happens and if they can't get into a restaurant then they get mad- so be it, you should of planned instead of griping about it afterwards.. Such is life. Do people buy something new without checking it out first?? In order to enjoy something new you should be armed with all of the knowledge possible.
Planning with your ADR's makes a disney vacation more enjoyable- less stressful in the long run.

Considering the amount of money that you actually spend on a disney vacation I plan away.

We just got back and both DH and I loved and disliked (not hated) the DDP and ADR situation.

We thought it was a good value and way too much food which I did not like, I dont eat that much but DH loved because he LOVES to eat.

We plan most of our trip and I told DH that we needed to make ADRs but he did not want to be tied down to really strict plans and really couldnt believe we would have a hard time getting in somewhere although I told him what I read on the DIS. I am a planner, he is to a degree but would like flexiblity. I think it is a matter of personality. I talked to a freind of mine and she thought the whole planning thing did not sound very vacation like to her. So to each his/her own. We also were hesitant to plan too much because of having kids. DS9 is the energizer bunny but DS4 does not have that kind of endurance so we had no idea when we would be eating dinner etc. I mean one night he fell asleep at 7, we had pushed that day but luckily we ate at 5:30. So anyway kids factored into why we did not want to plan the whole trip down to the second. Although I would never do a Dsiney trip and not plan!!!!

So this is what I did, I also knew that DH would not stand in line for chacracter greets in the park so I made breakfast or lunch ADRs for character meals every day. This worked out great for us and DH was glad I did this afterwards.

Now we were able to do a walkin one morning, we had an ADR for Chef Mickey later in the week but when we walked down to have breakfast at CR Chef Mickey looked empty and so DH ran over and asked and we got in, we wound up with two character meals that day, there and CP for lunch but oh well. We did then cancel the ADR for later in the week so hopefully someone else got in!

Now the only thing DH wanted (although he would not let me make an ADR) was dinner at Concourse Steakhouse (esp since it will not be there next time we go) so we got back from AK that day and he tried calling down and they had nothing open for all evening, the only thing they had available was 5:30, well we had just eaten at AK at 2 so we were not all that hungry but I convinced DH we should take it because I thought DS4 would not make it very long(He didnt). It was one of our best meals along with CP and Garden Grill.

Now CS was another issue, we thought most stunk except for Seasons in Epcot. And one night at MK we tried for almost two hours to try and find some counter service to eat and they were either packed or had food my kids wouldnt eat. We wound up with McD's fries and ice cream for dinner. Good thing we had the CM for breakfast and the CP for lunch that day.

Also a friend of mine is going down next weekend to meet her DH after a business trip so they are going to EPCOT for the day because he has never been to WDW in his life. So I gave her the heads up about ADRs becasue she had no idea and is going to see what she can get. She really wants to surprise him with this so I hope she lucks out!

No I said under your reasoning the resorts would go to pot. And I think most people (even you) would be racing to the phone to make ressies.

And there is absolutely no proof that the DDP has caused a decline in dining quality, in my opinion dining is just as good. I think it is sour grapes, pure and simple.

You are wrong. I would rather pay full price for a deluxe resort and enjoy deluxe accomadations, service and dining than a so called DDP style of hotels. I do believe in the case of Disney you should get what you pay for hence those who pay should get quality, service, high end menu items that have been erased due to the fact that we must agree that is what DDPer's would jump on....I know you have read hundreds of threads that tell the same old story, "I would never buy a $30 entree, I never have several courses but I do there, we always ate at CS not anymore," has greatly compromised quality, sevice and presentation to accomadate quantity and the bottom line.

First...I loved the "beating the dead horse" picture...funny stuff!

We did DDP for the first time this year, previously we were not able to participate b/c we are DVC members. I loved it.
I do have to say that our habits did not change all the much being on the plan.

We always make our ADR's 180 days out and usually do 1 TS per day.
The only difference is that we didn't usually have snacks w/o DDP.

We paid for 1 TS OOP this year and there was NO difference in our service.

I think that a big problem are the families that make ADR's and then no show. Maybe Disney should start to guarantee reservations with a credit card. If you no show, they charge your card x amount. That would cut down on the number of jerks that don't show up!!

You are wrong. I would rather pay full price for a deluxe resort and enjoy deluxe accomadations, service and dining than a so called DDP style of hotels. I do believe in the case of Disney you should get what you pay for hence those who pay should get quality, service, high end menu items that have been erased due to the fact that we must agree that is what DDPer's would jump on....I know you have read hundreds of threads that tell the same old story, "I would never buy a $30 entree, I never have several courses but I do there, we always ate at CS not anymore," has greatly compromised quality, sevice and presentation to accomadate quantity and the bottom line.

1. So what actually defines a "DDP style of hotel"....?

2. I think the vast majority do get what they pay for because a lot keep coming back for more.

3. The fact that ordinary people are able to afford to eat at sit down establishments within WDW really seems to bother you.

1. So what actually defines a "DDP style of hotel"....?

2. I think the vast majority do get what they pay for because a lot keep coming back for more.

3. The fact that ordinary people are able to afford to eat at sit down establishments within WDW really seems to bother you.

Well put! I don't know what a "DDP style of hotel is" but oh well. The DDP gives people the chance to get that dining plan and save lots of money. And if DDP hotels are being refered to as values (because this other person would rather stay at a deluxe) than thats wrong. Some people stay at a value because it is the most affordable way to go on vacation. I just finished my first year of college and my DBF just finished his second. Being a college student takes up a lot of time so we don't work full time making as much money a year as others. We can still go on vacation and afford it, and we enjoy our time. Besides, why pay all of that extra money when you are out at the parks the entire day? For us that would be a waste of money. I think some people need to realize that not everyone is wealthy and they do what they have to to go on vacation, even if that means staying at a value.

I guess in a way it does.....the huge impact DDP has made on Disney restaurants IMO is terrible in all the ways I have already mentioned.

From reading other posts I see I'm not the only one and I believe Disney will one day take this into consideration and make some changes that caters to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter