Why I Gave Up on Walt Disney World

Hello everyone! Like @WebmasterJackie and others have said, I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere. I'm not the author of the article being discussed. I love Walt Disney World, and I'm looking forward to many more adventures at the Most Magical Place on Earth. :) ~Deni
Okay two things, and then I absolutely have to get off the internet for the day.
I love your user name, and I noticed your joined date...

Last edited:
Everything else is basically a well known consensus, so why lie about this point?
Ryno shared he was assigned a room at Pop that absolutely reeked of bleach. Was he lying too?
This poor chap has been called everything from a liar to a whiner for an article that is basically a similar consensus to these boards.
What is going on here??!

IMO it feels very similar to our currant political climate, where you're either on one side or the other. And it feels (to me) that some individuals absolutely love DW, so much, that they honestly cannot understand why anyone would feel differently, and if they do, then they're "entitled", a "whiner", "one of those people", "jaded", "pointless" or a liar. When in reality, we're maybe just different, lol.

For me the author managed to sum up my current opinion almost verbatim, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone. The one thing he didn't mention (that I wish he would have) is the DW system for bag check. Oy Vey, what a horrible experience that is every, single, time, you go to DW. One CM inspects every nook and cranny while the CM next to them looks inside and says have a nice day. So one line moves 20 people in a minute while the other line only moves 3. IMO this experience is atrocious!! Meanwhile when we visit Universal, we throw all our stuff into a bin, walk thru a medal detector, and we're done. Hands down a better experience.

Was I the only one that after reading the article read "The DIS Content Team" as "The Discontent Team"? The eyes are working against me more and more as the years go by! :D:P

The vomit in the room is inexcusable for any resort..that's horrible. Would love to say I'm shocked by that. That being said, I'm far from reaching my breaking point. The pros of vacationing at WDW still outweigh the cons by a long mile. Is it perfect, no, but what is? I think what can happen is seeing the past with rose-colored-glasses can skew how you see the present..especially if you're like me and you seem to be getting more and more curmudgeony with age. :P My biggest gripe with Disney right now is their unwillingness to pay staff a living wage...I realize they agreed to 15 an hour, but they had to be pulled by the nose to do it. The fact that they seem hesitant to want to take care of their people bothers me a lot. Otherwise, I try my best to take the changes in stride because imho WDW is still the best vacation/entertainment value for the buck.

Everything else is basically a well known consensus, so why lie about this point?
Ryno shared he was assigned a room at Pop that absolutely reeked of bleach. Was he lying too?
This poor chap has been called everything from a liar to a whiner for an article that is basically a similar consensus to these boards.
What is going on here??!
I think both the initial finding and the response by the front counter are so far out of the usual that people have a tough time accepting it. The scent of cleaning products in a hotel room is much more believable.

IF and ONLY IF you are willing to make a few concessions.
People who only go every 1 or 2yrs don't want to wonder if the cost of spontaneity is being put at a serious disadvantage. It's not easy to accept sacrificing your odds, especially after paying thousands for the trip. It's possible things work out, but who wants to risk striking out every day? That would stink.

I read the article and felt like I could have written it myself. We did take a break - five years. We vacationed all over the world including a trip to Disneyland Paris. I feel like it's finally time to come back. I've booked the trip, but I admit I'm still reluctant. That's why I haven't told my family. I'm here on the DisBoards trying to get info to help me decide.

The vomit room is ridiculous. I can’t believe they even let Disney attempt to clean it, not my problem! I’m out of there, get me a different room.

I would bet cold hard cash he's exaggerating about it.

Hello everyone! Like @WebmasterJackie and others have said, I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere. I'm not the author of the article being discussed. I love Walt Disney World, and I'm looking forward to many more adventures at the Most Magical Place on Earth. :) ~Deni

Deni! Good, I was worried we were gonna lose another good one!

What is going on here??!
OK, I'll own it - I called him a whiner. Keep in mind, we are responding to a nationally published news article. It has appeared everywhere. This is not some post on the DIS boards. That's open season for criticism in my book.

Yes, the vomit in the room is completely inexcusable. He should have been given different accommodations immediately. It seems a little weird that he was not -but- that's based on my experiences where I have been treated more than fairly in circumstances that were nowhere near as severe. I would call that an anomaly - that is if we are not being told the whole story (was he offered and he refused? No way to know).

His other complaints about the need to plan so far ahead - THAT is where I take issue. Disney responded to visitor complaints as best they could in all cases (FP's, ADR's and My Disney App). He's complaining because he has to plan so far ahead. I get that, but too bad. Disney is giving you the opportunity to skip the line at least 3 times each day...FOR FREE!! Do you really have so little knowledge of your Disney vacation that you are unable, or I dare say, UNWILLING to do this? I don't think so. You should be excited about your trip. I know I am, every time. Is it an inconvenience to log on to a computer and book these line skipping opportunities 60 days before your trip? Honestly? Not for me it isn't - I look forward to it. That's part of the experience for me. ADR's at 6 months - well, yeah. I can't say as though I get that excited about eating. It beats the snot out of picking up the phone and calling each restaurant individually though.

Compare that to Universal now, because that's what the author did. Nothing wrong with Universal, LOVE Universal in fact. Line skipping there costs you $69 per person, PER DAY - MINIMUM, and that doesn't include all rides. You want to check each restaurant individually for reservations? Universal is your place, because that's what you have to do there. Not to mention, dining options are REALLY limited at Universal. Universal has an app - not the same as MDE though - not even close. Resort options at Universal are getting better but are still miles away from the options at WDW. I must say though, in fairness, MUCH more affordable! Universal also doesn't have DME or the internal transportation that WDW has.

Other complaints about the cost and the decline in quality - well... The quality could definitely improve, especially since, as others have rightly pointed out, cost is dictated by crowd control and what the market will bear - not actual costs of labor etc. Employees should be better trained as they used to be, and better paid. In turn, higher standards should be set and insisted upon, up to and including termination for employees that don't meet muster. Don't like it? Go work at Universal. It should be the Disney standard at Disney prices though, not the "that's what everyone else is doing" standard.

Wow, this is such a pointless rant of an article. The writer misses the dark rides of yesteryear at Disney so now goes to Universal instead? That makes no sense. Are there any Disney style dark rides at Universal? I can't think of any - maybe E.T? Last time I went to Universal I got shouted at twice by team members on the same day and I had to pay top dollar to NOT queue for an hour or two for every single ride. Cast members at WDW are, on the whole, still very nice and you can skip the lines for free. What's not to like? Disney will get my money every time. I just checked the prices for skipping the line for both Universal parks this weekend - $109.99 plus tax for one time skipping per participating ride or $129.99 plus tax for unlimited rides. And these prices are just for ONE day and per person! Wow. Just Wow. That is shockingly expensive. Those prices deserve their own rant post from someone. I will definitely stick with Disney despite all their perceived 'faults'.

You're comparing $100 (if you don't stay at a deluxe resort) Express Passes to free Fast Passes, but they are entirely different things.

Give me the option to spend an extra $100 and do unlimited rides at a Disney park - as many times as I want - and I'd be back at Disney my next trip. It won't happen because you would be able experience far more of the parks in half the number of days. That $100 would be a bargain relative to the far greater amount you'd save.

You're comparing $100 (if you don't stay at a deluxe resort) Express Passes to free Fast Passes, but they are entirely different things.

Give me the option to spend an extra $100 and do unlimited rides at a Disney park - as many times as I want - and I'd be back at Disney my next trip. It won't happen because you would be able experience far more of the parks in half the number of days. That $100 would be a bargain relative to the far greater amount you'd save.

I don’t think that’s why we won’t see a pass similar to Universals. At that price point at Disney, I think too many people would buy it rendering it useless. I’d be shocked if they ever had a good for everything FP that cheap.

If anything like that ever came to Disney I would expect the price point to be significantly higher than the $17ish dollars a ride they value the club level FP at, but at least less than the hundreds of dollars an hour they value the VIP tour guides at.

We were shocked to see overflowing trash cans etc, as well. I wish we could try the Tokyo Disney, but this recent trip with the insanely high ticket prices decimated our savings. I was trying to use a Southwest voucher before it expired and DVC points, only to be blindsided by how much they had raised the price of park tickets, and felt stunned (perhaps betrayed) at how much less we were getting for our money. Hubby has been going to WDW from the beginning, and I've been going since our marriage in the 80s, so we know what we're comparing it to.
The worst feeling on this trip, besides the pillaging of our savings, was the feeling that whoever is making the bad corporate decisions doesn't appear to know what "Disney magic" is (was), which is a deeper level beyond just not caring... In ways it was like they were just occupying the shell of Disney's former self but with no understanding, like they have alien dna, and alienating thought processes. The Disney, and DVC, experiences have been decining for a long time, but this this trip felt like it had changed in some quantum way. Our impressions and experiences affirm what was written in the article.

Compare that to Universal now, because that's what the author did. Nothing wrong with Universal, LOVE Universal in fact. Line skipping there costs you $69 per person, PER DAY - MINIMUM, and that doesn't include all rides. You want to check each restaurant individually for reservations? Universal is your place, because that's what you have to do there. Not to mention, dining options are REALLY limited at Universal. Universal has an app - not the same as MDE though - not even close. Resort options at Universal are getting better but are still miles away from the options at WDW. I must say though, in fairness, MUCH more affordable! Universal also doesn't have DME or the internal transportation that WDW has.

No DME but with Uber and Lyft being so affordable and easy, I can’t say it’s a problem. Door to door service vs waiting on a shuttle and others is a plus for me. 😊
The resorts are great- better hotels at a lower price than the Disney offerings and with the deluxe hotels you get unlimited Express Passes. One night equals two days of Express Passes, which is pretty awesome.
The internal transportation is 👍. Boat or walk (less than 10 minutes) from the deluxe hotels. Continuously running shuttles from the other hotels to the main drop off point. Once you’re through to CityWalk, everything is such a short walk. It’s like going to Disneyland. So easy to hop between the parks too. They’re just right there by foot or Hogwarts Express.
I like the size and ease of Universal. It’s just what I want from a vacation. We’re all lucky to be able to afford any vacation so it’s great to have options to choose from. No one has to pick just one place either. It’s a big world!

I hope Disney never start offering the option you desire, then the rich will take over and us peasants will have to go back and wait in line again for hours. That's what happens in Universal.

Last edited:
I hope Disney never start offering the option you desire, then the rich will take over and us peasants will have to go back and wait in line again for hours. That's what happens in Universal.
The peasants don’t have to wait in line at Universal. With what you save on multi day park tickets at Universal vs Disney and on on-site hotels at Universal vs Disney, You can do the same length trip at Universal with the Express Pass for the peasant price at Disney.

You don't have to be rich to stay in a Universal deluxe. They are a much better rate than a Disney deluxe. I'm not rich by any means and 2 nights at HRH gets me 3 days of EP. It's only double my Pop rate for the same week.

IMO it feels very similar to our currant political climate, where you're either on one side or the other. And it feels (to me) that some individuals absolutely love DW, so much, that they honestly cannot understand why anyone would feel differently, and if they do, then they're "entitled", a "whiner", "one of those people", "jaded", "pointless" or a liar. When in reality, we're maybe just different, lol.

And also like our current political climate it feels like if you don't 100% agree with someone they assign you to the group that is 100% against when in reality, most people are somewhere in the middle

At least speaking for myself I have repeatedly said I agree with the authors points about customer service going down and that being double tough to take as pricing goes up. But other points mention, like around the planning, are more preference that something universally negative. For every person that doesn't like the advance planning there is someone who prefers that way of doing things.

So it think there are two different buckets of complaints I here - and just because I agree with some and point out why I don't with others doesn't mean I am calling the author a liar or jaded or anything and I think a lot of comments in here are like that.

The peasants don’t have to wait in line at Universal. With what you save on multi day park tickets at Universal vs Disney and on on-site hotels at Universal vs Disney, You can do the same length trip at Universal with the Express Pass for the peasant price at Disney.

This is obviously getting off target a bit here but the difference I see is that you almost have to pay for EP or stay on property to be productive at Universal where at Disney you can stay off property and there are just more ways to do it "on the cheap" (which is what we almost always do - the one time we did Universal it was much more $ per day than our average Disney stays).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter