Why hasn't Disney improved deluxe counter service?

Adding food courts at deluxe resorts would be a bit much, but there is certainly no reason they can't "plus" the existing quick service options to set them apart from the values or even moderates. There are people who go out of their way to eat certain, unique items, even at value resorts. I have driven to Pop (twice) solely for a King cupcake...and to Art of Animation for a chocolate-covered cheesecake on a stick or a unique burger. And rarely do we walk out with just the single item. There are tons of people out there who simply enjoy exploring the deluxe resorts, even if not staying there, and if there is a known "must have" quick service item or two at that resort, people would stay and eat while exploring. If someone is staying at a deluxe and is out by the pool in the afternoon or is coming in from a park late at night, they are much more likely to swing by the quick service place for a really unique flatbread or sandwich but might just skip it if pepperoni or plain cheese is the only pizza option or if the same ol' cheeseburger available everywhere else on property is the highlight of a menu. We love signature and other table service restaurants, but we're not eating there for every meal, even if we're staying in a deluxe resort. There are also plenty of people who want to enjoy the deluxe resorts and stay there for a few nights, but as a result, can't shell out the money for table service (choosing priorities). Any perception that everybody staying at a deluxe resort is filthy rich and only want to be served in a table service restaurant is absolutely wrong.

If there is something unique and really good at a quick service, I am much more likely to notice and be willing to spend a little more time and money at the resort. Captain Cook's is a prime example (to me, anyway) of what a deluxe quick service could and should be. Several very unique options themed to the resort that definitely improve the menu...even at breakfast. I will gladly adjust my MK schedule to hop on the monorail and swing by the Poly for Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's (regardless of where I am staying). But I'm absolutely not going to go out of my way to go by the Beach Club Marketplace on an Epcot morning (even if I am staying at Beach Club!). The Marketplace is an embarrassment to Disney dining.

"Why would Disney provide excellent when adequate will do?" I can't believe I even read that above. It only takes two or three items and relatively little imagination (or cost) to transform a menu from adequate to excellent. And as the parks down the street continue to improve, I hope that Disney will focus more on excellence than relying on adequacy.

A lot of people state they wouldn't want a food court, but it doesn't have to be a food court, just better quality and speed of service would be a good start.

Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD is quick service but still offers great pizza and rotisserie chicken served on china plates. Just offering something closer to Worlfgang Puck Express would be a start, improving the quality and offering to bring to your table items that take more than five minutes to serve.

EXACTLY!!! I'm not sure why so many people keep equating QS with "food court". I wouldn't expect a big food court at a Deluxe. I was always thinking it should be more along the lines of Wolfgang Puck Express or BOG (minus the need for ADR's) -- actually, the first thing that came to mind was something like Panera especially with the option to sit at a table and place your order using a touch screen right on your table (like they have at some locations). I just want there to be somewhere in my resort to get a nice "quick" meal that doesn't require me to know I'm going to be hungry for dinner at 6:00 on June 12 all the way back on December 15th and doesn't take over an hour to experience. I'm fine with a few table service meals during our stay, but our family doesn't focus on food/restaurants when we're at Disney -- we live close enough to 2 large cities that we can do that at home and have far better options than the restaurants at Disney. I do realize that for many people, food/table service restaurants are the focus of their trip and that's fine. But that's not true for everyone. I don't expect Disney to change things - though it would be interesting to see what an upscale QS restaurant at a Deluxe resort would do to ADR's at that resort's TS restaurant. Do Deluxe resort guests eat at that hotel's TS restaurant because they like it or because it's convenient???

Do Deluxe resort guests eat at that hotel's TS restaurant because they like it or because it's convenient???

Or can guests not eat at their hotel's TS as guest staying at other resorts booked it up months ago?

(I know this isn't the case all year and many resorts do have walk-ups available at times, but there is a feeling that if you don't book ADRs, bad things will happen!)

I have to agree, in part, with this. Though I can't see a full blown food court at any of the deluxes, I do wish they would improve and expand their food offerings to include healthier grab and go choices. We stayed at Poly last week and, other than a fresh fruit cup, there was literally nothing available that we could eat for breakfast in the morning. All of the options tend to be filled with sugar, processed carbs, artificial sweeteners and flavors. I know this is the general trend in WDW to begin with, but in some places, it seems they are starting to do a better job at offering alternatives - the fresh fruits at many of the stands, we found hard boiled eggs at Starbuck's, etc. I truly don't think people who stay deluxe simply want to eat TS all the time, either. We certainly don't and typically bring things to eat and keep them in our room, but it would be nice to see some expanded menus and better, healthier choices.

All of the options tend to be filled with sugar, processed carbs, artificial sweeteners and flavors.
mmm-donuts-homermmm-17.jpg

I definitely do not want a food court (shudder), but Mara was dirty and understaffed during our stay. We stayed CL and used the lounge everyday, but i also had three teenaged boys who didn't want to leave the pool to go upstairs.

I nearly chose POR over WL because of this issue, so I assume at least a few other people factor it into their thoughts, the size & speed of QS service also features in a lot of Tripadvisor reviews of Wilderness Lodge. Also I am more likely to spend $10 on a breakfast if there is a nice place to eat it and it is served quickly, otherwise I may grab a snack or skip breakfast, so there would be some increase in revenue if they can serve more people quicker.
I can tell you it is a good reason why we have never chose deluxe. we have also looked at a cabin at FW but realized that they had NO CS at all!! We have found that we like CS and outdoor corridors, and the fact that we can afford to stay longer at the moderates. I could stay deluxe if I wanted and just shorten the trip a little, but the upgrade isn't worth it to us because the things that are the most important to us are at moderate. Now I have a friend who stays deluxe every trip, but they rarely eat CS, and spend a ton of time at their resort, so for them, it's worth it.

Funny! I have stayed a many deluxes over the years. Want to know how many times I ate quick service? Once (in about 150+ days total being there). My first experience was at the Poly. Gross. TS only for me...or a snack when Im at deluxe. I recently stayed at POFQ (2011). I ate in their "food court /venue/cafeteria" (I dont know what you call it), many times during the 5 days I was there!

The vast majority of people who stay in deluxe resorts do so simply because they want to. They don't care about cost or convenience. They stay at deluxe resorts for far less practical reasons: they like the feeling of luxury, or they have always dreamed of staying there, or it's were they always stayed as children, or they want to stay somewhere new, or they want to see Cinderella Castle from their room, or because they're resort snobs and think staying at a value resort is beneath them. We make our choices based on emotion, not logic.

I beg to disagree. I like the larger rooms, the location, the generally quieter atmosphere, and the amenities, in particular the lounges and TS restaurants. That's not emotion, but logic and a value judgement.

I think a lot of the deluxe clientele types don't want to deal with the hassle of counter service.

Conversely, they often don't mind the extra time and expense of table service because: (A) they're there for the resort experience just as much as the park experience; and (B) the extra marginal cost of table service dining just isn't that big of a deal to them.

Contrast that to, for example, a breakfast at Kona, which is dramatically more relaxing. Yes, you pay a bit more and it maybe takes 20-30 more minutes but that's time and expense that I think most deluxe patrons are gladly willing to pay.

Both comments are very true for us. I'm on vacation. Not only is food a big part of vacation for us, but I don't want or require quick while I'm on vacation. My regular workday is full of grabbing quick food. On vacation, I want to sit, relax, enjoy the food, the company (DH) and absorb the atmosphere. I don't want to have to find a place to sit, carry my food around until I do, clean up after myself, etc. I wouldn't be happy to see space that could be used for nice restaurant filled with a quick or counter service food location. It's one of the reasons that I do stay at Deluxe.

I think most people oppose the food court, such as the one at Pop Century, Electric Umbrella, and Cosmic Rays.

Just a big feed bag of random food with people corralled in there like cattle.

My fav QS places are in the deluxe resorts...captina hooks, WL QS restaurant, and the QS in the CR.

Somewhat a food court, but scaled down and they bring you your food. Not waiting in stalls in line for a burger or hot dog.

I can tell you it is a good reason why we have never chose deluxe. we have also looked at a cabin at FW but realized that they had NO CS at all!! We have found that we like CS and outdoor corridors, and the fact that we can afford to stay longer at the moderates. I could stay deluxe if I wanted and just shorten the trip a little, but the upgrade isn't worth it to us because the things that are the most important to us are at moderate. Now I have a friend who stays deluxe every trip, but they rarely eat CS, and spend a ton of time at their resort, so for them, it's worth it.

That's not entirely true about Fort Wilderness. There is Trails End to Go which has pizza and fried chicken plus all the sides as well as some good snack and breakfast items and another small CS area at the main pool with sandwiches, hot dogs, etc. It's no POR food court in terms of variety, but it's something. And Trails End is so inexpensive for a buffet, that we eat there more than we otherwise probably would (plus 10% off with Disney Visa!)

I would really hate it if they put large food courts in the deluxe hotels. I don't really see the need for them as if you don't want a ts meal they all have good room service

Well, to be fair, the cabins have kitchens.

To be fair to Disney, if you stay at a full-service hotel, such as a Hilton, or W, or Intercontinental, or Marriott you will NOT find anything remotely close to a Disney QS. What they will have that is most similar to a QS is what BC has at the Marketplace - a counter that serves very limited items (coffee, pastries, etc.) and where you can take your food to limited tables, the lobby, or your room. If you actually want breakfast, or lunch, or dinner, you will go to one of their actual restaurants, where you sit down and order and are priced accordingly *or* order room service with the usual service charge and delivery fees. So, it's not a Disney thing, it's really a hotel industry-wide thing.

Personally, I would love to see better food options and seating at the deluxe QS, but I don't think there will be enough on an ROI for Disney to do this. In fact, it may take away from the profits from their regular restaurants. I love the BC/YC, but the Marketplace is sorely lacking. We've also stayed at Poly, AKL, and WL, and while their QS are a little better, it's not where I would want to regularly begin my day.

I think the QS at the deluxes are generally fine. You can get hot breakfast there in the mornings, sandwiches, salads, those flatbread things that are everywhere, kids meals, usually a pasta dish, some have even more options (like Contempo). Fruit, milk, yogurt, snacks, etc. Seems fine to me. I don't think you would want to eat all of your meals there all week, but not sure how many people would do that anyway.

I do wish they had just a bit more physical space to maneuver around in though, they get crowded and awkward at times.

I did find the BC QS seemed to be worse than the others, but I'm not sure why, I think it had to do with the physical layout

Anyway, I think they serve their purpose fine.

I do wish they would improve and expand their food offerings to include healthier grab and go choices.

1) Why ???
2) The object is to generate revenue and make profit.
3) A quick grab-and-go doesn't do either.
4) If YOU owned the resort and eatery,
. . . would you rather sell gran-and-go and let people escape with just a single purchase?
. . . would you rather sell a more expensive entrée and side?

1) Why ???
2) The object is to generate revenue and make profit.
3) A quick grab-and-go doesn't do either.
4) If YOU owned the resort and eatery,
. . . would you rather sell gran-and-go and let people escape with just a single purchase?
. . . would you rather sell a more expensive entrée and side?

1) Because some people don't want to eat large platters of heavily salted, fat-laden food for breakfast and would happily pay for healthier grab and go items. GF and BC have a far better selection than Poly, so it is possible.
2) If Disney wasn't generating revenue and profit on grab and go items, they wouldn't offer them. I believe charging $2.75 for a bottle of grab-and-go water and $3+ for a fruit cup is generating quite a profit. Now put a plain yogurt or a few boiled eggs in there for another $3-$4 more and you've just gotten the cost equivalent of an entree and side from me and it didn't require me to clog a line or use up kitchen staff labor.
3) Again, profit margin on grab-and-go at Disney is quite substantial. There is plenty of room in the fridge sections at the deluxe QS to offer healthier options.
4) If I owned the resort and eatery I would rather sell food that people are going to buy. We left there empty handed many days.

We've stayed at nearly all the deluxes and the only ones I ever found lacking for a respectable QS option were Kidani and Boardwalk. All the others have a reasonable location to get a quick offering for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

For us, part of the appeal of staying at a deluxe is that you have better TS options...we are far more likely to explore those than we would be to get QS. There are gobs of QS all over WDW if that's what one desires; I don't see any need to expand the locations at the deluxes. Now, if they want to add some more interesting options to the existing QS, I'm all for that (but, those that prefer QS generally want the same old burgers/fries/pizza kind of stuff, so I don't see that happening).

Also wanted to second the PP who noted that FW has good options. Crockett's Tavern & Trails To Go are just fine and the Meadows Snack Bar has plenty of good options! Plus, Trails End Buffet is about the same time investment as a chaotic food court would be, but so much better!

. . . I believe charging $2.75 for a bottle of grab-and-go water and $3+ for a fruit cup is generating quite a profit. Now put a plain yogurt or a few boiled eggs in there for another $3-$4 more and you've just gotten the cost equivalent of an entree and side from me and it didn't require me to clog a line or use up kitchen staff labor.

1) I fully understand your point.
2) But, remember, before Disney makes financial decisions, they have done a lot of investigating.
3) From YEARS of experience, they pretty much know the tastes and appetites of their guests *
. . . they already have your "average" spending and "average" menu choices plotted
. . . we have even had meetings and where they tell us how much each guest will spend during their vacation (food, souvenirs, etc)
. . . that is why Concierge have Sales Contests, to try to sell other items, or upsell popular choices
. . . and, yes, I have won several contests (such as driven at Petty, Tier-1 tickets at Cirque, Cat-1 seats at HDDR, free hotel nights)
4) Although your premise seems probable, I wonder how many would go for the healthy alternative(s).
5) This is a vacation, and people tend to eat quite differently than at home.
6) Or else, DDP would not be so popular.

* And, from the Magic Bands, we know even more info as to where you go and where you spend you time. We have seen sheets that tell us which items to try to sell to guests at which resorts. (It has not gotten down to the individual guest yet, but we are told it is coming. They want to be able to target exact guests with exact offers in order to increase revenue.) Face it, they did not spend over $2-billion on MDE and bands for the guests' experience/benefit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter