Why Don`t They Understand

I'm trying to convince my DH that we need to go to Disney for our next vacation. He can't understand why I "need" to go back since I've already been there 4 times. He's never been and doesn't see the appeal of going without children. He thinks WDW is all about kids and geared only toward children and families.

My sisters have gone and came back disappointed. When I asked what they thought about this or that, they said they didn't know about that. Some people don't know what Disney has to offer and are so overwhelmed by all they see that they only skim the surface and just don't get it :confused3

I've been dropping little tidbits into conversations to show DH what Disney has for adults. There's just so much and every time is so different!

If a person has never been, how do you explain that the resorts are some of the nicest hotels you'll ever stay in, the food is great, the entertainment is world class. Some people just don't associate those things with Disney :sad2:

Oh boy do I hear ya! One of my friends asked me if I ever go 15 minutes without mentioning WDW, much less thinking about it. Er...no. Why would I want to? Everything Disney makes me happy and I like to think about and talk about what makes me happy!

My mom once said "who in the world would want to go to Disney?" right before we planned our first trip. She has yet to live that down. And guess who we are dragging to the BWV with us in April? Heaven help me, lol.

I had some people at work say sort of the same thing.

I told them that it was good that they didn't go, because I doubted that they would be able to handle a Disney vacation! Too many choices of things to do!

(three of them went the next year!!)

Haha I agree with everyone on here. If ever I try to explain to these people why it is so great, my husband tries to stop me and says "who cares that is one less person in front of us in line!" Which is true!

I have been all over Europe and tanned on the beach in Hawaii, the Caribbean, and Mexico...and it was all wonderful...but then in between I have to return to Disney. It just fills my heart.

My husband's family especially doesn't get it, but we are taking his whole family on their first trip in April. A lot is resting on my shoulders for them to have a good time...if they don't, this might be my nephews' first and last trip! So I have my work cut out for me, but I hope to show them the magic that I see every time I go. Wish me luck!

More from my boss :laughing: I told her we already have our 2009 cruise planed. It will be our 3rd Disney cruise. We did 2 4 day cruises on the Wonder. Before we got off our 2nd 4 day cruise last Oct 07. We made plans to do a 7 day cruise on the Magic . Well back to my boss. She looked at me and said don`t tell me it`s a Disney cruise:lmao: YEPPPER IT IS She just looked at me and shook her head and walked away. I did not get a chance to tell her that we will be at WDW for a couple days before we leave for the cruise :rotfl: I don`t think I will ever lose the magic as long as I have Walt in my heart:love: and the little kid in the back of my head. And I will never forget what Walt said .

I ONLY HOPE THAT WE NEVER LOSE SIGHT OF ONE THING THAT IT WAS ALL STARTED BY A MOUSE :)

I'm fortunate enough that both of my parents and my brother absolutley LOVE :love: the World. We call it the "Disney gene" you either have it or you don't. My friends and the rest of my family don't have the gene. I feel bad for my cousins b/c they will probably never go. We've offered to take them but my aunts "don't think it's a good idea" :rotfl2: whatever that means. We're going in December and will be there on Christmas day for the first time:banana: My grandmother can't believe that we're not gonna be here for Christmas, and when we told her where we were going she got mad and said it was just dumb to miss Christmas with the family to go to WDW. My friends always give me the "you're 19 why are you going to Disney World with your Mom?" like that's so bad. Then they tell me it's just so kiddie and immature:rotfl: I just laugh and respond "I'm sorry you're so mature." and walk off. I've stopped trying to explain what it is about Disney that makes me and everyone else here love it so much. I've just decided to enjoy myself:woohoo: and pity those who don't and probably never will get it:sad2: .

My DW loves disney but not as much as I. So when we travel anywhere else with our kids she always tells me remember its not Disney. She tells me I compare all our other trips to Disney and most places can't compete. I always have a countdown going for our next trip and when i she the castle after coming out of the tunnel I feel like I'm back home. Her family thinks were nuts and always asks when the next trip to Disney. My family is the opposite two of us are DVC owners and the other is always looking to get our points. I say to each there own and it WDW for me.:thumbsup2

I get the same comments from co-workers, friends, and some family. I've heard it all - "Disney again?!" "Don't you want to go somewhere different?" "Disney for your honeymoon? Do you really want to be around all those kids?" "Your kids are too young - they won't remember it."

My DH wasn't a Disney fan at all until I dragged him along with me and my parents when we were dating. He also thought it was just for kids. He absolutely loved it and it was his idea to go on the Disney cruise for our Honeymoon! We went back again before kids and took his parents - they still don't get it. I actually feel sorry for them - his Mom doesn't do anything for "fun" and the only thing his Dad does is fish or hunt.

I grew up in a Disney family and have always loved the magic there. But the last 3 trips have been with our kids. In 2005 DS was 2. In 2006 DS was 2 1/2. Feb 2008 DS was 4 and our youngest DS had his first birthday in the MK. We really heard a lot about taking a 1 year old to WDW! Disney is amazing as a child and as an adult, but to be a parent and see Disney through they eyes of a child - especially a child that is young enough to believe in the magic and not to question anything - that is priceless. I'll never forget my oldest DS's first reaction to the first character he saw (Minnie Mouse) or his face on this last trip while the White Power Ranger was signing his book or my youngest DS jumping up and down and squealing with delight on It's a Small World or his 1st Birthday dinner with the characters at Liberty Tree Tavern, or the way he cried when our turn taking pictures with Mickey on the last day was over and we had to take him away from "the mouse". I could go on forever.

My DH said he would like to go somewhere else next year just because we've already done that and he'd like to do something different. I asked him what he wanted to do- go to a beach? Disney has that. Go fishing? Disney has that. Go snorkeling? Disney has that. Parasailing? Skiing? Waterparks? Horseback riding? Camping? Disney has it all. I think my brother put it best. He has been taking his girls since they were little (now 10 and 12). He said it's the only place he can take them where they have smiles on their faces the entire week. Needless to say, I won with very little argument. We're going back in May of 2009 for 2 weeks! I can't wait!!!

Oh boy do I hear ya! One of my friends asked me if I ever go 15 minutes without mentioning WDW, much less thinking about it. Er...no. Why would I want to? Everything Disney makes me happy and I like to think about and talk about what makes me happy!

Ha, DH says this to me all the time!!! :rotfl: I'm still working on converting him to our side.

These comments often also come from the same people who when they take a week off work, all they do is sit at home (every time they take vacation).

You hit the nail on the head! I think its a subconscious ( sp? ) jealousy to some extent. I used to be that guy who just took my vacations because I had to use them up within the year, but I'd just sit home and do nothing, or I'd just randomly use days of vacation here and there till they were gone. Oddly enough, after a couple trips to Disneyworld, I remember sitting home one day and thinking "I need to do something with my vacations, Im so sick of wasting them away by sitting at home!" I remember looking into hotels in Miami and California, thinking I could just get a nice room with a beachfront view. I might still be sitting around, but atleast I'd be able to sit out on my balcony and enjoy the view. Then out of nowhere, I started thinking about those two trips I had taken to Disney World a couple years back and decided, "hey, why not go back to Disney?!" So eventually I booked a trip and the rest is history. After that trip, I was hooked. Im not sure why it took me 3 trips to become addicted, but Im glad I did. I think it was finally getting to that comfort level of knowing where everything was and how to "work the system" of WDW. It became much more of a relaxing destination and everything was at the pace I chose. I think it just annoys me when people say "Why not travel the world and see all the different places?" because these same people don't do it either. Its like they are annoyed that you aren't spending your money doing what they want to do, but don't.

i totally understand and dont care if others dont..it floats my boat!
(mollygirl) take your dh during the food and wine -that may convince him that disney isnt just kidfriendly..

I have a slightly different problem. I live in Florida. I work at Walt Disney World. Most of the people I know work there or love the place.

My question is this...Where do I go on vacation. Since I'm a CM, I can't afford long trips.

Actually we are thinking about a Disney cruise next year. CMs get a HUGE discount.

I have a slightly different problem. I live in Florida. I work at Walt Disney World. Most of the people I know work there or love the place.

My question is this...Where do I go on vacation. Since I'm a CM, I can't afford long trips.

Actually we are thinking about a Disney cruise next year. CMs get a HUGE discount.

Its obvious, you go on the cruise, or to DLR!!!

I asked my boss today if he saw my request for vacation days in July.
He looked at me,...and without skipping a beat he said "Which resort are you staying at and how many days until you leave?":rolleyes:
I guess the Mickey lapel pin, Cinderella ink pin that lights up and resort mug that I drink from each morning has finally made people around me realize that Disney is MY happy place:cloud9: . It is were I want to spend time with my family to make the memories that will last a lifetime. If they don't like that...too bad!
If they don't get it...it's their loss.:confused3

There are people in my family who don't get it either, my own parents included. But, last year when sis and I were going, my Dad mentioned that he would like to go someday(he's never been). So, I booked a trip for September 2008 and he's going with me. I can't wait to "convert" him!:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter