Why do servers not like the DDP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat0727

DIS Veteran
They always seem so relieved when I tell them I'm not on the dining plan. Last month I had a Mama Melrose waitress say, "thank god!" Why is that? Gratuity isn't included on the dining plan so I don't really understand.

I've seen this reported several times (or similar reports) and it always puzzles me.

We have been on the dining plan 10 times in the last 3 years...free dining, paid regular dining and paid deluxe dining. We have eaten at almost all of the Disney restaurants (about 7 we have not been to yet.) In all those restaurants, there was ONE occasion when the server indicated she was not pleased with the dining plan. But that was the year they switched to the newer version that no longer included apps or gratuity...and she was unhappy because so many people on the dining plan that year were not tipping at all because they were sure they'd bought a plan that covered "everything".

Other than that one server, in more than 35 restaurants (last time I counted, several trips ago, probably many more than that) anyway, we've never heard a word against it at all.

editted to add: I just thought of one reason why...the servers always start on the spiel about what's covered, blah-blah-blah and we always stop them & explain we've been on the plan many times, including this year. They're always relieved they don't have to explain it all and walk us through every aspect of it. So maybe that's why they're relieved...saves them time & effort? Other than that, who know :confused3

I just think it would be so annoying to be asked over and over, can I order this on the dining plan, can i order that on the dining plan.

I've also ready on other forums that people may tip less while on the dining plan. They order the most expensive things to maximize their plan or just because it's "free." Maybe they don't plan ahead and are a bit shocked when the bill comes.

My guess is that people don't tip based on their total bill. They probably tip a lot less... Maybe even nothing if they somehow think the plan includes it. I personally will tip based on the cost of the total bill, but I'm a good tipper and I doubt everyone shares my mentality.

I also think it would be EXTREMELY annoying to have to answer the 'Is this included? WHY DID I GET CHARGED FOR THIS?! I'M ON THE PLAN' questions/statements.

I'm sure there are alot of people not tipping properly and they also probably order more food then they would normally so lots more back and forth for the server,we are doing the deluxe plan but just so we can do more signature places and more sit downs but other wise wouldn't have ordered appitizers and desserts that we might now becuase they come with the plan.

I suspect it is probably a tipping issue, based on some of the questions I've seen here over the years. A lot of people don't seem to know the general rule of thumb that you always tip on the undiscounted tab, and based on Disney's menu prices someone tipping based on some perceived notion of what a TS meal is worth on the plan rather than on the full menu price total would be a substantially lower tip for servers.

I don't think explaining the plan should be a problem; I don't think that's any different from explaining the specials or making recommendations. It is just part of the job.

I will say, though, that I've never encountered a server who seemed unhappy that we were on the dining plan. We used the basic plan a couple of times before the deluxe was introduced, and now we use the deluxe plan every trip. I do politely interrupt to let the server know that we've done the plan many times and don't need the full explanation, which might make a difference since it lets them know we're not going to be the family arguing over the plan's inclusions.

We have a family friend who is a server, she said its extremely awkward to ask people how they want to leave the tip, be it a credit card or cash. Also we noticed last year when we were there that a lot of people waste A LOT of food during the free dining. We witnessed a mother allowing her 3 children to take a bucket of clams each at the clam bake, and then let them throw it all out because they did not like clams. When we asked the server if this was normal during free dining she told us it happens more than one would think. I don't know about anyone else but i was brought up to never waste food, take a little at a time, you can always go up for more.

Closing this because of the strong tipping undertone. Please take a few moments to read the first post of the Tipping Sticky (found here) it shares the reasons on why there is a dedicated tipping thread, tipping thread guidelines, and a tipping FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter