Why do people......

I am one of those people who have to "dress up" on a daily basis so on my cruise I DID NOT. I had a great time, and am quit sick of reading all the posts which have to quote the Disney brochures "policy" and how if we choose not to be good little passengers we should vacation elsewhere. All the ranting and whining about how others dress will never change it so perhaps if you need to be surrounded by well dressed people maybe it is you who find an alternate vacation where you can get a nice sunburn on the bottom of your nose.

I will be cruisin' in khakis in 2004 hope to see you there!

mickman - you can sit with us anytime! I'd rather have someone sitting at my table who is comfortable than someone who is upset because they "had" to dress up.

(But please, not too much skin!!!!!)

Rae

this is a reminder that DCL is for familys to go on vacation. this isnt NCL or PCL. DCL recomends that you dress up but DCL also tells you that its a vacation. if you dont believe me then call DCL and ask them. like some others have said there are people that wear suits to work all year long. and the last thing they want to do is dress up yet some more. so go figure. its a vacation and if you dont want to dress up then dont. its your choice. there are other places to eat on the magic other then the main dinning rooms. so its your choice. enjoy the cruise and ill see ya in my tux. LOL

Originally posted by KYCruiseCrazy
. there are other places to eat on the magic other then the main dinning rooms. so its your choice. enjoy the cruise and ill see ya in my tux. LOL

this is exactly what I am talking about. Why should I have to eat somewhere other then the main dining room just because I might not meet your idea of proper attire?

We love to dress up....mainly because my DS9 looks sooooo handsome in his coat and tie whether he believes it or not!:p

Proud mom from NC

this is exactly what I am talking about. Why should I have to eat somewhere other then the main dining room just because I might not meet your idea of proper attire?

One last word from me, thank goodness! It is not "your" or "my" idea of proper attire! It is the request of DCL!

Nobody, or at least me, is trying to be snobby and "get the bottom of our noses sunburned" (I'll have to store that one away...it was good:teeth: ), but maybe I am just brainwashed by my chain of command at work....they are requesting it for a reason, and I am happy to comply.

One way to avoid getting formally dressed up more that 3 times on your 7 nite is to dine in Palo on one of the semi or formal nites. That is our plan. My input will now stop! But it is fun reading others reasonings!

Well, my DS and DH will be renting tuxes on our next cruise, but not for any of the reasons stated on this thread. To explain a bit, I have always been against renting tuxes, limos, etc... for weddings, proms, cruises...if you don't own them you shouldn't be using them is my opinion. Following that reasoning I think the formal night on a family cruise is silly...people are spending money to be with their families and enjoy new things, not to dress in clothes they will never wear again. BUT...after reading this thread this morning, I got to thinking about how much my autistic DS loves formality and show...I showed him the tux rental brochure and asked if he would like to wear something like that on our next cruise, and his face lit up and he said "Yes !". I still feel this is a waste of money, but this morning I downgraded our rooms because if DS wears a tux, that means DH wears a tux, and that means I have to match. I will go along with it because I will do anything to make my DS happy, but I will be more than happy to dine with anyone wearing cutoffs, swimsuits, or whatever else they come up with. My situation could have gone the opposite, that DS was only comfortable in sweats, and beleive me, if that were the case, we'd have been in the dining room with everyone else because we are PAYING for the cruise, I don't think of DCL as my host.

Why do people dislike dressing up?
It's not that I dislike it but I have to do it each day for work so when I go on vacation, wearing a tie, suit or jacket is not my idea of fun.

My husband wears a suit 5 days a week and has for the last 21 years. We also go to a lot of black tie balls and events during the "season" down here in Naples, so the last thing he likes to do is get formally dressed, especially while on a disney cruise after sitting a beach or something all day. We bring a suit for the formal night, not his tux and a ballgown, and as far as I'm concerned, that's just fine. I'm also not going to purchase a suit for my two growing young teens for one night when they will never wear them again. They look very nice in their pressed dress khaki pants along with a nice pressed long sleeve Ralph Lauren shirt and dress shoes and that's how I choose to dress them for the dinners.
I could care less about what others are wearing while on any kind of vacation, it's simply not important enough to me to spend any time checking out other people. Everyone has their own story, whether it's lack of funds, lost suitcases, not enough dressy clothes, dieting, or anything else as to why they may not be that dressed up. As long as someone is clean and not in jeans or shorts, then that's just fine by me.

For a portion of your cruise that takes up such a relatively a small part of the whole cruise, there is a lot of controversy surrounding it.

There are so many more important things in life to worry about than what the person at the next table is wearing.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

ahhh nothing like a good controverisal post....

heres my feelings: theres no way i'm packing formal outfits. its dinner on a ship in the carribean. one of the most relaxed places on earth. i'd rather save the space for goodies i pick up along the way. so, i'll have my khaki capri's with me and perhaps even my <gasp!!> textured lucky brand jeans. if that bothers you, you can either:
A) choose to look away and not let something so petty ruin your meal
or.... if you are a SWC under 30
B) focus on my face instead and come join me for dinner....
ta-ta :P
-K

Did the people sitting near us even have clothes ON???? Don't know, didn't notice.

Hi all. I just had to pipe in here. I had originally planned for DH and DS to wear rented tuxedos for our cruise. (Notice I said "I")

It came to my attention that THEY were not pleased with the idea. So, we decided on suits they already own.

We have had a tough year in my family, I am counting my blessings and not the tuxedos.

On formal night my DD 6 is wearing her Cinderella ball gown. I'm wearing my not-so-little black dress and my gorgeous men will be in suits.

I personally do not care what anyone else is wearing. As long as everyone is pleasant. If they can't be pleasant-then be quiet.

The whole thing boils down to Disney not enforcing the "policy".

I for one am glad they don't because as others have stated I do the suit, makeup, pantyhose and high heels daily. When I am on vacation I usually go to a place where they expect you NOT to wear shoes! ;)

Of course on the ship we abided by the rules on our 4-day and wore appropriate dress to each of the dinners and Palo. On our next 7-day I will bring my husband's suit and my little black dress - put them on for an hour or two and take them back off!

Our table guests on the last cruise, however did not abide by the "policy". The first night the husband wore a tank top and shorts. Funny thing though - they were expertly pressed - which I found odd for a tank top - but whatever!

My eyes were not on his underarm hair sticking out of the tank top, since their one son throwing an open butter pat at the other son's face, where it stuck until the mother removed it, diverted my attention elsewhere! :rolleyes:

I think it is hard since everyone has a different level of expectation about their vacation.

Without really enforcing any policy people push the envelope - so until they do - this debate will go on forever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter