Why are flights so expensive??!!

dmdj232

Mouseketeer
We have a trip coming up in August. Our preferred route is Non-stop from Newark (EWR) to Orlando. We we very happy with the price and service with Southwest on our last trip in Aug 2017, but it seems that Southwest has discontinued the Non-Stop flight for this route. They have not released the exact dates for our August trip yet, but based on what is available now, there are no Non-stop flights and traveling with 2 young children (3yrs old and 1yrs old at the time of the flight) it would be very difficult to have a connecting flight and spend half the first day of vacation in an airport. After searching for hours, I'm getting prices for around $1,800 round trip (including 2 checked bags each way per person, excluding the 1 yr old) with all the other airlines. I think that those prices are out of control for such a short flight. I have tried many other ways to try to save money such as playing with the dates a little, changing to other nearby airports, etc... but the savings in minimal and really not worth the hassle of traveling 3hrs to a nearby airport to save $70. Can anyone help with the tips and tricks with ways on saving on flights?? HELP!!!

SW has been cutting non-stop routes from a lot of airports lately. And their fares haven't been particularly low. Why? Because they can be. People will pay these fares. They have gone up each year. It's really hard to find really good fares anymore. I would actually wait until they release your dates...then start planning.

I am in the exact same boat!!! Every year we do a trip in August and we travel from EWR too. I've just started shopping for flights and am finding the same thing...sooo expensive! Actually your $1800 is cheaper than everything I have seen, non-stop, one checked bag pp and taxes i'm getting around $2100. I tried same thing, checking surrounding airports and the minimal savings if any are not worth the extra hassle. I think last year we paid about $1800 for Jet Blue and I was expecting about that again this year but its crazy. Just out of curiosity what did you pay for Southwest in the past? I looked into some of those discount airfare websites and saw some prices that seemed to good to be true so a I am a little leery of them. I will be following your post to see if anyone has any ideas. Good Luck!!!

Try looking at Spirit out of Atlantic City International (ACY). They are non-stop and have reasonable prices the last two weeks of August. Good luck with your search.

Why does Disney keep raising their prices? Because they can. As long as airlines are still filling planes, they can continue to raise prices. To simplify, "supply and demand".

And before you book with Spirit, make sure you understand the negatives associated with flying them.

I am in the exact same boat!!! Every year we do a trip in August and we travel from EWR too. I've just started shopping for flights and am finding the same thing...sooo expensive! Actually your $1800 is cheaper than everything I have seen, non-stop, one checked bag pp and taxes i'm getting around $2100. I tried same thing, checking surrounding airports and the minimal savings if any are not worth the extra hassle. I think last year we paid about $1800 for Jet Blue and I was expecting about that again this year but its crazy. Just out of curiosity what did you pay for Southwest in the past? I looked into some of those discount airfare websites and saw some prices that seemed to good to be true so a I am a little leery of them. I will be following your post to see if anyone has any ideas. Good Luck!!!
We paid around $280 a person Roundtrip including Early Bird Check-in!

Thank you for your suggestion! I did look into leaving out of A/C on Spirit but the additional cost of carry-on's, picking your seats, checked bags, etc... it didnt really save too much plus the hassle of driving 2-1/2hrs to get there cost of gas.

I don't want to give OP false hope but our SW flights did not become reasonable until 5 weeks prior to leaving.

SWA has always been the lowest price for me flying from Buffalo. And its lowest by HUNDREDS of dollars!
I have no clue how other airlines can charge so much and SWA can charge so little.
In fact I've found that for a couple years SWA were getting a bit high but my last 3 trips plus the flight I just booked for my next trip in July all non stops have really gone back down by a lot.
I've paid $250 RT or less. The one I just booked is $217 RT.

You're looking too early. Looks like Southwest doesn't offer N/S service to Baltimore. That would give you a quick connection. I'd wait. Some people think you'll get your best airfares 30-60 days before your flight. When the Southwest schedule is extended see if their are any reasonable connecting flight. Sort your results by flight duration. If there are a couple of flights that work, departure time and flight duration, monitor and see if the fare comes down.

Pick a number you're happy with. Maybe $250/ passenger. If see flight times you like grab it otherwise keep looking.
Does JFK work for you? More competition may mean better fares.
Do you really need to check 2 bags per passenger? Does your airline charge for a "bin bag"? A duffel bag, without wheels, packed light enough so it can be compressed to fit the sizing template will fit a lot of stuff.
See how many checked bags you'll get for free if you get your airlines credit card. You might get 1 (2 if it's a premium credit card) for the cardholder and one (or more) other passengers. You'll probably have to use the credit card to buy the tickets.

Edited to add
United charges 30 for first bag an 40 for second. Your figure in OP includes 420 in baggage fees. Avoid basic economy.
Fares in January are under 100. You're looking too early

Last edited:
Looking at Southwest's current flight schedules, the connections are either in Chicago (not good), St. Louis (out of the way), or Nashville. A short layover in Nashville may still be better than paying all of the extra cost on other airlines, just for having a nonstop flight.

I would suggest holding off until Southwest's schedule is extended on about 02/02/19.

Looking at Southwest's current flight schedules, the connections are either in Chicago (not good), St. Louis (out of the way), or Nashville. A short layover in Nashville may still be better than paying all of the extra cost on other airlines, just for having a nonstop flight.

I would suggest holding off until Southwest's schedule is extended on about 02/02/19.
The shortest connection time on BNA is almost 3 hours. Flights connecting in Chicago have a shorter total duration.
Southwest's current schedule, first few days in August doesn't offer great flight options from EWR.

Southwest hasn't extended their schedule. Other airlines are booking on a projected schedule. High fares means fewer passengers to rebook when the final schedule is released

It opens on 2/7 just to be specific.

The shortest connection time on BNA is almost 3 hours. Flights connecting in Chicago have a shorter total duration.
Southwest's current schedule, first few days in August doesn't offer great flight options from EWR.

Southwest hasn't extended their schedule. Other airlines are booking on a projected schedule. High fares means fewer passengers to rebook when the final schedule is released

Since the OP does not specify when in August they will be flying, there is a chance that Southwest's flight schedules will be different for their travel dates, with different connection opportunities, than now available for the beginning of August. The layovers at BNA vary, depebding on month, day of week, etc., just as they do at MDW. There are 1+ hour connections at bot, at different times. MDW's 30+ gates are divided between two terminals, while BNA's 12 gates are all on one concourse. Even though MDW and STL show in connections, I would not want to fly more than 700 miles out of the way for a connecting flight. With two small kids, I would not want to take a chance of a long trek for a connecting flight.

It's premature to debate connections, when most of August's schedule is unknown. Here's hoping that Southwest will reinstate nonstops, or at least direct flights, between EWR and MCO.

Since the OP does not specify when in August they will be flying, there is a chance that Southwest's flight schedules will be different for their travel dates, with different connection opportunities, than now available for the beginning of August. The layovers at BNA vary, depebding on month, day of week, etc., just as they do at MDW. There are 1+ hour connections at bot, at different times. MDW's 30+ gates are divided between two terminals, while BNA's 12 gates are all on one concourse. Even though MDW and STL show in connections, I would not want to fly more than 700 miles out of the way for a connecting flight. With two small kids, I would not want to take a chance of a long trek for a connecting flight.

It's premature to debate connections, when most of August's schedule is unknown. Here's hoping that Southwest will reinstate nonstops, or at least direct flights, between EWR and MCO.

Agreed. I also suggested waiting. Southwest's schedule for the first week of August isn't doesn't really work for the OP.

I think (hope) they are over-estimating their checked luggage needs.

It's too early.
We are booking our son/daughter in law to be honeymoon flight. We were shocked to see 4 nonstop flights from Louisville to Orlando, but the return date is not posted yet. I'd be patient until the February release date then react accordingly.

Why does Disney keep raising their prices? Because they can. As long as airlines are still filling planes, they can continue to raise prices. To simplify, "supply and demand".

And before you book with Spirit, make sure you understand the negatives associated with flying them.

Also, as with any business - because their costs to up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter