Why are flights so expensive??!!

I agree with your mother, use a little of the $250 savings to pick up a few things to occupy the kids!

Not true at all, I see RT's in February on SW to Orlando from KC for $74 each way at the moment, $188 RT including taxes. You just need to keep an eye out and book when you find the price you want.
No the other poster is generally correct. Despite SWA being KCI's largest airline in terms of passengers we don't typically get amazing deals.

I know this comment is older but the cheapest I see right now for Feb is $94 and that was during the week.

Presently getting to MCI:
upload_2019-1-13_11-34-23.png

Presently getting back home to KCI:
upload_2019-1-13_11-35-10.png

$94 1-way is pretty darn cheap to get to Orlando and the above pricing is with a SWA New Year's Sale going on. September 2017 our trip was $298 RT PP Friday through the following Sunday and that was after initially booking on release day at $372 RT PP.

That's not to say that there aren't times that it's cheaper for sure but it's not really just as easy as saying "You just need to keep an eye out and book when you find the price you want." We just don't typically get dirt cheap airfare out of KC.

Well, hopefully the less of a drive and saving 250 dollars will make up for the fact that they have no screen tvs? What sucks is Kindles die so fast, so having Delta's movie screen was super helpful. Do they have plugs? I knew I should have just paid more for Delta but my mom was all like OHHHH SW IS SOOOOOO GREAT!
Hmm my kindle voyage lasts and lasts and lasts. Are you talking about a Fire Tablet? If you are tablets do tend to run down the battery faster because of what you use them for, the screen brightness, etc. My Kindle Voyage has auto brightness adjustment and def. lasts.

No SWA does not have plugs. I did like that about Delta but on the other hand portable chargers can be bought for fairly cheap honestly and could quite possibly come in handy more than just the airplane ride. I often find myself having to hunt for seats at the airports that have charging capacity so if my battery on my phone, tablet, etc was real low I could at least pull that out.

The tv screens were quite nice on our Hawaii trip on Delta no doubt..except for when they would get interrupted by the pilot freaking everyone out lol. And some people couldn't get their screens to work. Still I know it's a nice perk. But I fly SWA majority of the time with Delta being my second choice so it might be different feel for someone who isn't used to flying SWA as often.

No the other poster is generally correct. Despite SWA being KCI's largest airline in terms of passengers we don't typically get amazing deals.

That's not to say that there aren't times that it's cheaper for sure but it's not really just as easy as saying "You just need to keep an eye out and book when you find the price you want." We just don't typically get dirt cheap airfare out of KC.

I'd love a $94 flight at this point! I remember a loooong time ago we paid under $400 r/t direct flights out of KC for all 4 of us. I can't even get one ticket at that price now. Starting to get a little nervous, I've never waited this long to book our airfare. I read a comment on another thread where someone said they saw the best fares 5 weeks out from their trip. Fingers crossed that something good appears soon!

I'd love a $94 flight at this point! I remember a loooong time ago we paid under $400 r/t direct flights out of KC for all 4 of us. I can't even get one ticket at that price now. Starting to get a little nervous, I've never waited this long to book our airfare. I read a comment on another thread where someone said they saw the best fares 5 weeks out from their trip. Fingers crossed that something good appears soon!
I hope you're able to get a good deal too!

I’m having the same dilemma. OKW is booked 8/11-8/20. I’m stalking United flights from EWR to MCO. Definitely flying United because we have vouchers we must redeem before they expire in August. The flights we want are $447/rt...insane! It’s just my daughter and I, and we each have $450 credit to use. I’m wondering if I should book it (won’t cost us anything) or hold off to have some credit left over (it won’t go to waste). Such a gamble...who knows!!!

I just booked our
I’m having the same dilemma. OKW is booked 8/11-8/20. I’m stalking United flights from EWR to MCO. Definitely flying United because we have vouchers we must redeem before they expire in August. The flights we want are $447/rt...insane! It’s just my daughter and I, and we each have $450 credit to use. I’m wondering if I should book it (won’t cost us anything) or hold off to have some credit left over (it won’t go to waste). Such a gamble...who knows!!!
I just booked Aug RT flights on JetBlue EWR to MCO and paid $432 per person includes one checked bag. This is about what we paid last year for the same time. I always get sticker shock, there are 4 of us. I went ahead and booked because I was afraid of not getting the time we wanted and figured with deals being announced for the summer the flights might start to fill up. Good luck :)

I just booked our

I just booked Aug RT flights on JetBlue EWR to MCO and paid $432 per person includes one checked bag. This is about what we paid last year for the same time. I always get sticker shock, there are 4 of us. I went ahead and booked because I was afraid of not getting the time we wanted and figured with deals being announced for the summer the flights might start to fill up. Good luck :)
I can’t believe how expensive it’s become. Just curious—are you flying out on a Saturday/Sunday morning? We are looking to fly out on a Sunday in the am, which usually we would do a weekday, so I was thinking maybe that was why it was so pricy.

I can’t believe how expensive it’s become. Just curious—are you flying out on a Saturday/Sunday morning? We are looking to fly out on a Sunday in the am, which usually we would do a weekday, so I was thinking maybe that was why it was so pricy.
We leave Friday come home the following Saturday. I checked a few other airlines out of Newark and tried AC but they're all around the same price. The only way I could find a deal was one of those discount airfare websites, but you have to flexible with days and times and we're not so it won't work for us.

Reactions: ;-)
Booking 6 months out will pretty much guarantee you are paying too much. The best flight prices are most commonly in the 30-90 day range. A great way to keep some eye on it far out is to use https://www.google.com/flights You can search for your flight including specific times/non-stop/etc. Then toggle to "Track prices" and will alert you when they increase or decrease. I still haven't booked our April flights yet as I expect them to drop in another month or so.

If you're extremely worried about availability of flights you can check for available seats and how many more seats are available at that specific rate every week or so.

Flying JetBlue(Blue Plus) this August, out of NY(LGA to MCO) for $331RT. I'm not a fan of LaGuardia, but it is the closest airport to us, plus it was the bast fare. I should mention that we are flying mid week.

I was checking for a flights going in June Sunday to Sunday with Delta. After checking all different days I found out Sunday was the highest price. I ended up changing our dates to Saturdays, which wasn't that much cheaper but better. We just can't seem to work out a way to fly on a weekday. Weekdays are definitely cheaper. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are just to high but I have to pick one of them. Right now a weekday is around 260.00 to 280.00 round trip and weekends are around 315.00 to 415.00. I haven't book yet I'm still waiting for them to drop.

Last edited:
Reactions: ;-)
:eek::eek:
Booking 6 months out will pretty much guarantee you are paying too much. The best flight prices are most commonly in the 30-90 day range. A great way to keep some eye on it far out is to use https://www.google.com/flights You can search for your flight including specific times/non-stop/etc. Then toggle to "Track prices" and will alert you when they increase or decrease. I still haven't booked our April flights yet as I expect them to drop in another month or so.

If you're extremely worried about availability of flights you can check for available seats and how many more seats are available at that specific rate every week or so.
Where are you flying from? Last year I played the waiting game, and in fact they did go up the closer it got to summer. I think the airlines just take advantage now, flights to Orlando (especially while the kids are off in summer) are in high demand and are always full...they can basically charge what they want, they don’t need to fill seats. I’ve never been in April but I hope it does come down! Spring break brings lots of crowds! You should check the seats also and make sure the plane isn’t filling up. And if they let you book saying they will assign you a seat upon arrival..that most likely means they are overbooking!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter