Whispering Canyon Cafe, is it worth it?

I might suggest dinner at WCC. We did lunch there about two weeks ago, around 12pm. It was only half full so we didn't really see much of the antics. We saw the ketchup thing once but they only got about two bottles. It just wasn't as lively, loud, or fun at lunch when it's less crowded. We've been twice before for dinner and the restaurant was full and there was definitely more going on. Not sure how breakfast compares, but I'd expect it to be slower than dinner.

We plan on doing dinner!! We usually try to do one of the first seatings but maybe we will wait till an hour into dinner so we can experience everything!

We plan on doing dinner!! We usually try to do one of the first seatings but maybe we will wait till an hour into dinner so we can experience everything!

Good call. I think we were one of the first seatings at lunch, and we were one of maybe 4-5 tables in the dining room. It did fill to maybe 60% full by the time our meal ended, but the antics were still quiet. Its better with a full restaurant, IMO.

Background.... My Dear Wife and I go to WC for EVERY breakfast. Been doing this 16 days per year x 12 years = 192 visits. Throw in the occasional first/last day lunch? We've hit a good 200 visits. If there is gum under a particular chair? We know where it is....

Now - right off, this is a WONDERFUL place :). No one would go there a good 200 times if it was not :). The staff is stunning (we generally get hugs from most of them every visit). Food is GREAT for all meals. "Antics" are WONDERFUL - but you do NOT have to participate if you do not wish to.

GO here. I have no other way to say that :).

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong

I absolutely adore dinner. Cannot wait to go back in April! The skillet is sooo good--I always get a refill on the mashed potatoes! And the apple vinaigrette on the salad is delicious!

Yes ..this. We also were seated in the back room. Felt like the lobby. Was disappointing listening to the rest of the restaurant having a great time.
We are going as a party of 10. Do they have tables that large in the main dining room? I’d hate to be out if the action.

Just make sure they seat you in the main area. Our last trip over Christmas, the restaurant was busy and they seated us in the back room. It is completely separate from the front main room so you can't really participate in any of the action. Our boys were a little disappointed. Next time, I'll request not to be seated there.
Definitely request to be seated in the main dining area if that’s where you want to sit. As retired seniors, we prefer to observe more than get involved in some of the tomfoolery, so we usually ask to be seated in that back room. However, we really enjoy the food at dinner. We’ll be back there this coming Monday.

Thanks everyone for the great reviews! We are SO excited to try dinner here! Definitely want to participate in all the shenanigans! :)

It’s been a few years, but I really like the dinner skillet. The meat is smoked in their own smokehouse. The salad and cornbread are really good too.

I asked my 3 DD’s thier favorite restaurants. The Youngest said ketchup. My middle told me that means Whispering Canyon.

The food isn’t any better or worst than the average WDW restaurant.

Last edited:
How do you "opt" out of the fun if you are more the shy type? Just don't participate?
I believe you have a round “coaster” type thing that is green on one side and red on the other. If you want to opt out of the antics, just flip it to red at anytime.

*At least that’s the answer that I got when I asked the same question. We are going to WCC for the first time in June, but we’re ALL IN. Bring on the antics

How do you "opt" out of the fun if you are more the shy type? Just don't participate?
We had dinner there a couple years ago and my DH definitely isn't into "antics". As we were being seated the hostess asked us if we wanted to participate and we told her no, so she put a red coaster on our table. At first I thought our server was going to ignore the coaster because she she came to our table she said something like "Did you all put this at red" and when we said "yes", she flung the coaster in the floor and said something like "We'll see about that." She was just being funny and we did not participate in the antics.

The food was really good, we both had the skillet. The antics were funny to watch, but the ketchup thing gets REALLY old in a full restaurant. People were yelling for ketchup so much that there was no way the people who actually needed it were even having a chance to use it before they had to run it to the other table.

We ate there several times last summer when we stayed at WL. (At the time the food court was being renovated so this was our primary option.) We really liked the food and the atmosphere was fun.
We are staying at AKL this trip so I didn’t book anything at WCC. My 6 and 7 year old asked why we couldn’t go to the “screaming ketchup restaurant” lol.

We had dinner there a couple years ago and my DH definitely isn't into "antics". As we were being seated the hostess asked us if we wanted to participate and we told her no, so she put a red coaster on our table. At first I thought our server was going to ignore the coaster because she she came to our table she said something like "Did you all put this at red" and when we said "yes", she flung the coaster in the floor and said something like "We'll see about that." She was just being funny and we did not participate in the antics.

So you got antic lite. :)

Servers are good about reading the customers. It's been just DH and I in the past, no kids, and we are more reserved and not there for the antics. They've seated us in quiet places towards the back and the servers really kept things to a minimum for us each time. I think the most we got was a handful of straws.

In what sense?

The servers at 50s Prime Time are more animated and the antics are heavier there, IMO. DH and I have eaten here as well and our server force-fed DH a giant fork full of collard greens to him. LOL! It was all in good fun but I would say no one is safe at 50s PT!

I believe you have a round “coaster” type thing that is green on one side and red on the other. If you want to opt out of the antics, just flip it to red at anytime.

*At least that’s the answer that I got when I asked the same question. We are going to WCC for the first time in June, but we’re ALL IN. Bring on the antics

We were just there two weeks ago and there was no coaster. Our last time prior to that visit was in 2014, also no coaster. So not sure if that's something they used briefly and discontinued it, or if they only use it during busy times or what. Never heard of it.

Servers are good about reading the customers. It's been just DH and I in the past, no kids, and we are more reserved and not there for the antics. They've seated us in quiet places towards the back and the servers really kept things to a minimum for us each time. I think the most we got was a handful of straws.

The servers at 50s Prime Time are more animated and the antics are heavier there, IMO. DH and I have eaten here as well and our server force-fed DH a giant fork full of collard greens to him. LOL! It was all in good fun but I would say no one is safe at 50s PT!

We were just there two weeks ago and there was no coaster. Our last time prior to that visit was in 2014, also no coaster. So not sure if that's something they used briefly and discontinued it, or if they only use it during busy times or what. Never heard of it.

See I would like this! We want to go but aren't really into doing the antics. Watching yes, doing, no!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter