Which ride lines don't fit a mobility device

Jmljasmine

Mouseketeer
My mom just got a walker with a seat device which is going to be very helpful. It's pretty big (about the width of a wheelchair and tall) and sturdy. It does fold but will be unfolded in line as that's the main point. What rides will it not fit in and how does that work for our party? We've never had anyone with a mobility device before. Would she just leave it with a cast member when boarding?
I doubt we will use buses but just in case, how does that work?

Thanks

My mom just got a walker with a seat device which is going to be very helpful. It's pretty big (about the width of a wheelchair and tall) and sturdy. It does fold but will be unfolded in line as that's the main point. What rides will it not fit in and how does that work for our party? We've never had anyone with a mobility device before. Would she just leave it with a cast member when boarding?

Thanks

Hi! I'm thinking you're talking about the WDW parks and not DLR (California), am I right? If not you can let me know!

Basically the rides at WDW are mainstreamed, meaning mobility devices including wheelchairs, ECV's etc (such as rollators/walkers) can be used while in line as the space is large enough. You shouldn't have any problems there with the majority of the rides. Neither a DAS nor going through an exit are needed for this at these parks. However, if you have any questions while you're there, feel free to ask one of the CM's at the entrance to the ride.

As far as the buses go, provided your mom can walk onto the bus, I would suggest just folding the walker once you sit down (there is disability seating with more space if it's available and you need it) and it shouldn't be a problem. In 2017 when I was there and using my folding power chair, I would some times ride a few of the buses and my husband just folded the power chair and we sat in a regular seat. Other times I used the lift and stayed in the chair, but it just depended on the situation.

I doubt you will face many difficulties, and I really hope you guys have a fabulous trip! Let us know how it goes!!

Oops, I missed part of your question. You will be instructed as to where to leave the walker when you get on the ride. You can use it all the way up until you board, and you will either come back to the same place at the end of the ride and it will still be there, or if you unload in a different place, a CM will move it there so you will have immediate access either way! Take care!

Thanks
main one I can think of would be the People Mover because no way to avoid the ramps. about leaving at rides just ask the CM at boarding and they will tell you what to do. just thought of another ride where she might have to transfer to a wheelchair provided at the ride is Pirates as you unload in a different building. my guess on buses would be to fold and hold it in front of one of your party. think like a stroller

main one I can think of would be the People Mover because no way to avoid the ramps. about leaving at rides just ask the CM at boarding and they will tell you what to do. just thought of another ride where she might have to transfer to a wheelchair provided at the ride is Pirates as you unload in a different building. my guess on buses would be to fold and hold it in front of one of your party. think like a stroller
Good point Betty! I forgot that certain rides like Pirates require you to use their wheelchair as your accommodation. Thank you for adding that!

Space ship earth and big thunder mountain you go to the exit the cast member will let you know what to do

Hi! I'm thinking you're talking about the WDW parks and not DLR (California), am I right? If not you can let me know!

Basically the rides at WDW are mainstreamed, meaning mobility devices including wheelchairs, ECV's etc (such as rollators/walkers) can be used while in line as the space is large enough. You shouldn't have any problems there with the majority of the rides. Neither a DAS nor going through an exit are needed for this at these parks. However, if you have any questions while you're there, feel free to ask one of the CM's at the entrance to the ride.

As far as the buses go, provided your mom can walk onto the bus, I would suggest just folding the walker once you sit down (there is disability seating with more space if it's available and you need it) and it shouldn't be a problem. In 2017 when I was there and using my folding power chair, I would some times ride a few of the buses and my husband just folded the power chair and we sat in a regular seat. Other times I used the lift and stayed in the chair, but it just depended on the situation.

I doubt you will face many difficulties, and I really hope you guys have a fabulous trip! Let us know how it goes!!
Yep WDW. Thanks

Space ship earth and big thunder mountain you go to the exit the cast member will let you know what to do
Good to know ahead. I need to make sure to mention the wheelchair transfer ahead. That line looks like it's usually too long for her to try to power through without (which may be her inclination if she isn't prepped for it). Spaceship Earth is one we definitely want to hit too.
At one point I heard haunted mansion may be different too? Is that the case there or does it fit?I think I remember that being pretty narrow after the stretching room.

Good to know ahead. I need to make sure to mention the wheelchair transfer ahead. That line looks like it's usually too long for her to try to power through without (which may be her inclination if she isn't prepped for it). Spaceship Earth is one we definitely want to hit too.
At one point I heard haunted mansion may be different too? Is that the case there or does it fit?I think I remember that being pretty narrow after the stretching room.
I would talk to a CM at haunted mansion I think you go in the line like every one else and then get pulled off right after you enter the first room

I would talk to a CM at haunted mansion I think you go in the line like every one else and then get pulled off right after you enter the first room
that was true for me but was after the first room that I was pulled
Yes it is after the first room
Hmmm...interesting. The last 2 years, my mom has been in a scooter nd each time the CM at the line has directed us to the fastpass CM to give us a "return time." When we returned; we would scan in and then be taken to the exit doors, park the scooter and then be taken through a door, bypassing the stretching room. I'm wondering if it was somehow different because of Covid??

Yes.
Guests using mobility devices wait in the regular line and go into the stretching room with everyone else.
But, you will be instructed to stay to one side and NOT follow the other guests out as the room empties.
After they are all out, guests with mobility devices are directed to a door that leads to a hallway that ends up at the exit. That is where guests with mobility devices board.
That was how it was before COVID and when we were there in February and April/May 2022
Hmmm...interesting. The last 2 years, my mom has been in a scooter nd each time the CM at the line has directed us to the fastpass CM to give us a "return time." When we returned; we would scan in and then be taken to the exit doors, park the scooter and then be taken through a door, bypassing the stretching room. I'm wondering if it was somehow different because of Covid??
That was because of COVID. Guests without mobility devices were just using the stretching room as a way to get to the boarding area while COVID precautions were in place. Since guests with mobility devices don’t board at the same place as ambulatory guests, it didn’t make sense to send them in there.
One of the reasons for giving the return times was the area at the exit can get really crowded with guests waiting with mobility devices. Using return times helped spread them out a bit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!