Which restaurant did you not like that everyone raves about?

My only surprise at this point, ABC Commisary, why is it still open!

ha! agreed! that place is.....HORRIBLE....what do they put in the food there?
FWIW, I think almost any place else,barring price shock is ok, but we actually threw the food out from ABC.....

We thought Cali Grill was totally overrated. The food was 'meh' (and we discovered we are not sushi people) and the fireworks viewing was crowded and not what you would expect from a signature dining restaurant. However the server we had was lovely, and very attentive. Our best on the trip.

'Ohana was also bad- and we felt a little tacky. (For dinner, as we really liked breakfast!)

Rose and Crown I was looking forward to, but the food was horrible and not British AT ALL. Very disappointed. We did get a great view of the fireworks though- as the deck was closed off and really quiet.

I don't know that people have raved about it, but the worst meal for me at WDW was about 2 years ago at Tusker House at AK. The food was terrible and the place was filthy!

-M

Nobody else seems to have had a problem with it but DH and I were very disappointed with the Flying Fish Cafe. Because of all the good things I had read on the Disboards, I was really looking forward to this meal. But, the service was not good - we were ignored for long stretches and my scallops were under done - although the server made it a point to tell me that they were cooked to perfection, even though I might think they were under cooked - this before I even cut into them. Also, the tables were very close together. I really expected more from a signature restaurant. By comparision, our first time at Narcoossee's was fabulous.

We both felt like we had better meals the night before at the Turf Club, for half the cost.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Cape May Dinner :confused3 Oh, and Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace, and any table-service breakfast (did 1900PF & 'ohana). I now just avoid the buffets with exception to Boma.

Chef Mickey's hands down. Close runner up: Crystal Palace dinner. The worst 2 dinners we've ever had. Crystal Palace, not only was the food bad and the service worse, but we were there for a total of 3 hours (between waiting to be seated 45 minutes late for our ADR and waiting for the characters) and never even got to see Eeyore.

Chef Mickey's we're giving another shot on our upcoming trip. Haven't been there in 4 years. Crystal Palace, that was our "give it another shot" shot. Will never eat a meal there other than breakfast before the park opens, if that.

Well, after reading this whole thread I think I may have to cancel all my ADR's!:lmao: Let's hope BOG is good! Glad that I did not book Yak and Yeti or Chef Mickey's!

Geez, I'm thinking the same thing. I guess I could save some money by canceling them all and just doing quick cs meals :rotfl:

Coral Reef was awful when we went in 2010. My food arrived not even lukewarm...yuck. Service was very slow too.

California Grill was underwhelming. Not because the food was bad, but I just expected more. I'd heard such amazing things about the spicy kazan roll and just thought it would be absolutely amazing. It was good but I've had better sushi for half the cost. The view was amazing, though. We're giving it another chance for my DD's 6th birthday. She's looking forward to seeing the fireworks ;).

Coral Reef was awful when we went in 2010. My food arrived not even lukewarm...yuck. Service was very slow too.

California Grill was underwhelming. Not because the food was bad, but I just expected more. I'd heard such amazing things about the spicy kazan roll and just thought it would be absolutely amazing. It was good but I've had better sushi for half the cost. The view was amazing, though. We're giving it another chance for my DD's 6th birthday. She's looking forward to seeing the fireworks ;).

We haven't returned to Coral Reef since our disaster experience there in 2008. They won't be getting another chance. Barely warm, nasty food, poor service, missing custom cake.

Earl Of Sandwich. Dislike bordering on hate. LOL

Bet we're the only ones though!!

I wasn't too into Sci Fi, the atmosphere there was not what we were looking for, I hated the cars and you didn't face the people you were with, it was noisy due to the domed ceiling, and the food was just eh...ok. Milkshakes were the only thing going, and you can get better ones at 50's prime time.

I wasn't too into Liberty Tree Tavern either, service was horrible, food was just ok, didn't wow us.

Ohana dinner...the meats were cold and rubbery, and the veggies and noodles were cold as well. Love breakfast here, just not dinner, I'll stick with Kona for dinner.

Nobody else seems to have had a problem with it but DH and I were very disappointed with the Flying Fish Cafe. Because of all the good things I had read on the Disboards, I was really looking forward to this meal. But, the service was not good - we were ignored for long stretches and my scallops were under done - although the server made it a point to tell me that they were cooked to perfection, even though I might think they were under cooked - this before I even cut into them. Also, the tables were very close together. I really expected more from a signature restaurant. By comparision, our first time at Narcoossee's was fabulous.

We both felt like we had better meals the night before at the Turf Club, for half the cost.

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Like all the WDW run restaurants Flying Fish suffers from inconsistency. One meal can be excellent & another avg. at best. The inconsistency issue is even more obvious here than at some of the other signatures. When it's great, it can be better than most of them though. You just have to get lucky & hit one of the excellent nights. For this reason, I always recommend bluezoo instead.

DisMN, I was so surprised of your EoS comment. Every trip we walk by the diners' tables looking at their sandwiches to try & determine what to buy. And everytime, the sandwiches look like all bread & very little filling. And everytime, we pass it by & go somewhere else. We've never eaten there.

We also miss the old Akershus. It was always a highlight of our trip. :(

Isn't it strange how much we can find to dislike at WDW? It's odd to read these threads about all of the awful restaurants and resorts and rides and so on.

Have to agree with others:

Akershus is just a mere shadow of its former glory. For those of you who never got to experience the original form, pre-princess, it had a hot and cold board and you helped yourself to both and the food was wonderful - it was the one restaurant that was not to be missed! We went one time when they changed to princess city and never again - food, atnosphere are all gone!
:sad2:

Happily there are still plenty of wonderful choices that we have never had a bad experience at! :thumbsup2

Ah, yes, we also miss the old Akershus! Definitely one of our faves. I will admit, I was once not too happy way back then when our waitress got me to eat rabbit sausage and didn't tell me until afterwards what it was! I would have been even more horrified if I had liked it! LOL

Of course, if it was up to DD we'd eat there every day now since it's her fave with all the princesses. So, we always go and remember how it used to be!

When I read the title of this thread, I knew immediately that three names were going to be on many people's lists...

Jiko - Clearly it's not for everyone because of the "exoticness" of the menu. But you should know that going in. If you're not at least a little bit daring when it comes to food, you're better off somewhere else.

Le Cellier - It would be impossible for this restaurant to live up to its hype. There's no doubt it's a good restaurant, but if you think it's a world-beater, and the best meal you'll ever have, you're going to be disappointed.

'Ohana - Family-style is immediately going to turn some people off. And the food is also somewhat on the daring side.

There's often an expectation of greatness, especially with the signatures. If a restaurant is not "great" for one reason or another, there's going to be a letdown.

I think Jiko really is a great restaurant, but some people just simply aren't going to like it. Le Cellier should have something for everyone, and it's a more than decent restaurant. 'Ohana is what it is.
Wow, spot on!
I feel the same with these addendums:
Le Cellier; love the intimate, cavelike setting
cheese plate and whiskey (whisky) flight need I say more:)
If you are uncertain about Jiko give Boma a whirl...that way if you don't prefer bobotie and fufu chicken nuggets and fries await
As for 'Ohana I don't think anyone goes there for the food...do they? Again, it's an experience for kids and adults. Not to mention if you dine lateish there are fireworks, Also, if they try to give you the bum's rush with all your food at once just let them know how to pace your food. They don't prefer it, but they will follow your wishes.
Just our .02

ha! agreed! that place is.....HORRIBLE....what do they put in the food there?
FWIW, I think almost any place else,barring price shock is ok, but we actually threw the food out from ABC.....

We tossed our food too!!
The only good part of the experience was: it was OUT of the rain..........we waited out the rain and then had supper (again) DTD

We actually weren't thrilled with our WPE tonight. :( DH had the bacon wrapped meatloaf platter w/ fried onion straws, mashed potatoes and gravy. He said it was good . . . But that's about it. (I tasted a bit of mashed potatoes and gravy. Potatoes were good. Gravy was a tad sweet.)

I had the chicken aioli sandwich. Very underwhelming. The chicken was good. But there wasn't enough provolone and the cilantro aioli was so disappointing. I love almost any kind of aioli, so I was sad about this. Something in the flavor just didn't mesh well with the other components. Oh and the bread was tasteless too. On the other hand, I liked the fries and DH didn't.

Disappointing b/c I know it's very popular here.

Earl Of Sandwich. Dislike bordering on hate. LOL

Bet we're the only ones though!!

No, you're not. I tried it twice and don't much care for it either. My main complaint isn't the quality of the ingredients or the quantity of the fillings, both of which I think are fine. I'd even really like the ciabatta bread on its own, sliced with cheese or torn up for dipping in olive oil. For a sandwich, though, its texture is far too tough, and combined with the dreadful excess of spreads and condiments, means every sandwich turns into a falling-apart mess.

Don't even get me started on that nightmare called the "Holiday Sandwich."

It's also too much of a hassle to find an inside table, especially when I'm on my own.

It's kind of a shame as I think with different bread, and better sandwich assembly, I be there all the time. I think the sandwiches are definitely priced fairly, it's just the execution that's off.

My real enmity is for DIS-fave Shula's. I've had the displeasure of going to three locations: the Dolphin one, the original in Miami Lakes, and the one in Naples (the last two, I wasn't paying and had no real choice). All three suffered from the same defects: oddly stilted and disinterested service, nonstop upselling, the hysterically overpriced wine list, and steaks that weren't exactly earth-moving. The overweening football-clubby theme - yes Don, we know you're the only undefeated season NFL coach; you still stayed on about five years too long with the Dolphins - grates after about five minutes. I don't need to see the meat trolley, I can ask questions about the cuts if I have them. I know how I want my steak done, so please don't insist I hack into it to make sure your kitchen got it right. If I'm paying top dollar, you need to dry age at least some of your steaks.

Boma.

I can't get over all the love I see for this place on the Disboards. The handful of people I know in real life who tried it thought it was as bad as we did.

The prime rib was so ice cold that the fat on it was pure white. The ribs tasted like someone melted cinnamon red-hots and dumped it on top. (Someone else posted that comment here, so this is not an original statement, but it totally fits.) Salmon in banana leaves were so dry, you couldn't peel it out of the leaves without it flaking completely apart. The watermelon rind salad looked like something I'd put in a garbage disposal. Seafood curry stew or soup or whatever it was tasted like it contains pounds of sugar and coconut.

Not only was the food horrible, the atmosphere was as loud and busy as a high school cafeteria. I swear it sounded like people were breaking plates and dropping silverware all over the place.

Truly, Boma was the worst dining experience we ever had at Disney. We had an awful meal at Big River Grille one time where the food was burnt to a crisp. The manager insisted on comping us for everything, whereas when we complained at Boma, they more or less said, "too bad."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter