Which Ocean View?

DJBounce

DIS Veteran
I will be going down in June of 2002 with my DF and staying at FW. We have the passes that we want in mind, and we have set out and extra day to go see the ocean. I will be 31 when I make the trip and I have never seen the ocean. For all you in the know, where is a nice, beautiful, somewhat quiet(as in not touristy) place to see it. I was thinking St Augustine because of the history, but if anyone else can point me to a nice place within 2 hrs that would be swell. Thanks a bunch in advance:smooth:

It is out of the way for Ft.W but we really enjoyed Perdido Key last summer. There is an All Star resort there with beautiful camp sites right on the beach. 1-800-245-3602 or www.allstar-rv.com/florida.htm
For summer camping on a beach front site call right away. We made ressies before we left for summer 2002. Enjoy:D

St Augustine is on the Atlantic Side - I don't like this side - the gulfside has much nicer and whiter sand. So I would go to the Tampa side (90 minutes from WDW). You can also see Bush Gardens while you are there.

The ocean side is brown sand and has boulder and rocks on it.

We like the Gulf side much better too! We always drive down after Disney and spend a few nights in St. Petersburg Beach. There's a park there called Fort Desoto where we like to camp. The campsites are right on the water - it's very peaceful there! The only downside is that you can't make reservations in advance, unless it's within 30 days. But, they do set aside some campsites for walk-ins, so if you get there early you could get a site.

The St. Pete Beach area also has some very nice hotels/motels on the beach. The beach here is very peaceful, and the water is much warmer than it is in the Atlantic. The waves aren't as big either.

While I agree the Gulf Beaches are very nice...I absolutely love St. Augustine's. Growing up and driving from MA to FL we always stopped in St. Augustine's for a few days on the way down...that's the one and only thing I miss about driving to Florida!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter