Which is bigger, DCL Magic/Wonder, or Titanic?

Deb in IA

Knows that KIDS are better
DD asked me this question last night, and I thought SOMEONE here would know the answer.

Titanic: Passengers - Fully Loaded: 739 First Class, 674 Second Class, and 1,026 Third Class Crew – 892 / Officers (not including Captain) - 7

Magic/Wonder: 2400 passengers, 950 crew

The DCL ships are bigger.

The Titanic was 882 feet, 8 inches in length
46,328 Gross tons
92.5 feet wide
Draft was 34 feet (how deep in the water to the bottom of the hull)

The DCL ships:

964 feet long
83,000 Gross tons
106 feet wide
Draft of 25.3 feet

Interesting site with facts about the Titanic:

http://www.keyflux.com/titanic/facts.htm

And the Disney ships are identical in size, and other statistical info. The only differences between the two are decor only.

The Disney Magic/Wonder...

Specs on Titanic: 46328 tons, 882.5 ft long by 92 ft wide by 9 decks and 3000 passengers (source:rpsoft2000 com/shipsize.htm)

Specs on Disney Magic: 83000 tons, 965 ft long by 106 ft wide by 11 decks and 3325 passengers (source:tripcentral ca/trip/CRUZ/DISNEY/DISNEY_MAGIC/index.html)

rob.

when u classify a ship by its size its always by a tons. A ship maybe shorter then then magic but a higher tonnage and would be considered bigger then the magic... just an fyi.. :)

I can't find anything official to verify it, but I distinctly remember Captain Henry telling me that one of the ships is actually 1 foot shorter than the other, and The Magic has one more stateroom than The Wonder.

LarryC said:
I can't find anything official to verify it, but I distinctly remember Captain Henry telling me that one of the ships is actually 1 foot shorter than the other, and The Magic has one more stateroom than The Wonder.

While I don't remember any specifics, I do recall there are some minor differences between the Magic/Wonder than just the decor.

As an example, I recall the exact tonnage is slightly different between them. They are both quoted as 83,000 tons but let me see what I can find on Google...

... after a breif search, I found the following numbers (don't know if the sources have them exactly right).

Disney Magic 83,338 tons
Disney Wonder 83,308 tons

The Magic also has a scar from consturction that the Wonder does not. The Magic was built in two seperate pieces while the Wonder was built in one piece. Thus the Wonder does not need the reinforcing in the center of the ship. When we took the ship tour the guide told us the this was the only differenence between the two ships other than decor.

I always wondered how modern ships compared to Titanic, now I know thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter