Where would you move?

Reginak

Mouseketeer
We are selling our business and will have approximately $400,000 to start over.:banana::banana::banana:

If you were in my shoes where would you move and what would you do?

My husband keeps asking me where do I want to move but I don't know.

What would your dream job and location be if you weren't going to be rich but could just pick up and start over?

Regina

Celebration, Florida. I've spent the cold, cold winter in Ohio daydreaming about doing that very thing.

well when I finish grad school...I want to either...

be a college professor or
run a nonprofit for economic development

My dream disney job....either imagineer or Behind the Scenes guide (You know the folks that tour the parks with people in the little plaid outfits.) I wouldn't mind having a go at Jim Lewis' job.

Hubby regulates municipal water systems, so it would only make sense for him to be a Disney drinking water tester/regulator, filtration system kind of guy.

Seriously though...IF I had money to invest...

there are these guys locally that made a fortune selling fried catfish out of a catering truck. They set up in Wal-Mart parking lots within about 100 mile radius and partnered with boy scout troops, cheerleaders, etc. The brilliance of their marketing plan was that all of their advertising was free, they had practically no overhead, free labor, and a ton of pre-sales. Now that's a business plan! Oh yeah, and the catfish is delicious!

I would choose somewhere with a view of the ocean (always moving) or lake. Celebration intrigues me too. Our daughter jokes that when she gets her nursing degree, we should all move down there. I'd go in a heartbeat!

We have family that live in Celebration. It is a great place to live! If not there...I have always wanted to buy a condo in Naples, FL. :thumbsup2

What would your dream job and location be if you weren't going to be rich but could just pick up and start over?

Regina

This sounds very silly because it's Disney-related, but I would love to work in Disney's Legal Department. I'm a litigation legal secretary for a large law firm here in Atlanta but my dream job would be working with Disney's attorneys sifting through its legal issues...how awesome would that be?!? :woohoo:

To the OP, congratulations on the sale of your business and enjoy finding a new profession! :flower3:

Where would I move to? I wouldn't move. I'm happy where I am. Why does selling your business mean you have to move? If you like where you are, can't you start a new business or do something there?

Colorado - My husband has been dying to get out there for years. But its not the right time in our lives to do so.

Part of me would like somewhere in New Mexico--Santa Fe maybe.
Another part tho would like the Gulf Coast of Florida--Ft. Myers area.

I would park the money somewhere safe for 6 months and think through the move very carefully. The best thing to do when you come into some money is absolutely nothing. After 6 months you will be thinking with a clear mind.

I would park the money somewhere safe for 6 months and think through the move very carefully. The best thing to do when you come into some money is absolutely nothing. After 6 months you will be thinking with a clear mind.

Good advice, when I sold my business 10 yrs ago, I just took it easy for a few months, let the money sit for awhile, then started laddering some bonds for income(had a few more $$ than the OP). Didn't go nuts and jump into the stock market whole hog, buy a huge McMansion or move cross country.

10 yrs later, still in original house, managed to ride out the financial turmoil of the last decade rather well. Hey I'm just getting around to trading in my 98 Merc wagon that I was driving back in 2000. Biggest expenditures, redid my kitchen and bought DVC.

So it pays to take a deep breath and think things through.

We talked about moving but with having older parents(both DH and I) and rather clueless siblings locally we thought it best to stay put. Now that the last of them past away last summer, we are getting around to thinking about relocating.

We probably wouldn't move, and if we were to "start over" in terms of finding a different job, it would be dependant on my husband getting a job there. His field is rather specialized and there aren't too many of 'him' out there - which makes him very employable, but we couldn't be picky about location.

Florida would be one of the last places I'd choose to live though. Possibly Portland, Oregon. Santa Fe, New Mexico. Believe it or not, Fargo, North Dakota (hot economy, small town atmosphere - as long as you can afford to flee the winter for a week or two). Madison, Wisconsin (similar to Fargo, beautiful around there).

We have already started our "dream" career. After being in IT for 20 years my husband is now a photographer. It has been slow going in this economy but very enjoyable. I am still working in corporate america but help him in my spare time.

Our dream location is the florida keys. We would move in a heart beat if the money/circumstances were right. Suprisingly our three teens are very keen on the idea it's other parties that would stop us (x-spouses are always a problem) :headache:

This sounds very silly because it's Disney-related, but I would love to work in Disney's Legal Department. I'm a litigation legal secretary for a large law firm here in Atlanta but my dream job would be working with Disney's attorneys sifting through its legal issues...how awesome would that be?!? :woohoo:

To the OP, congratulations on the sale of your business and enjoy finding a new profession! :flower3:

I have to laugh, legal issues bore me and give me headaches so your dream job would me my nightmare, but I think I can top you with the bordom factor... I'd love to work in the IT dept (programming and systems development/maintenance) for Disney. Celebration Florida is beautiful but horribly overpriced, I really took a liking to a town called Clermont (family there), or if looking for something with more of a wooded feel, Montverde is very nice and older.

Since Crystal and the OP are both from the south I'm sure they're aware, but to others who may be considering a move and not know: Be aware - bugs grow BIG in the south. We've seen spiders the size of a man's palm... and roaches... in the south, they fly.

We are selling our business and will have approximately $400,000 to start over.:banana::banana::banana:

If you were in my shoes where would you move and what would you do?

My husband keeps asking me where do I want to move but I don't know.

Regina

depends, is this windfall a retirement type thing or more of a career move?

if you want to still work, since you were successful in your business:thumbsup2 i'd think another startup of same type (where-ever your dreams take you & cost of living is bearable;)) would be a smooth move:)

Back to Montana and maybe work for the National Park Service.

Celebration, Florida. I've spent the cold, cold winter in Ohio daydreaming about doing that very thing.

Unfortunately I don't think $400,000 would go far in Celebration. I really wish it would, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I would live anywhere that doesn't have taxes as high as New York....oh wait.....that's everywhere else isn't it!! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter