Where should we stay?

MotherofLandon

Mouseketeer
I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Disney for next May. I know it is a little soon but I like to plan in advance, especially when I have so many people to please. My party is going to consist of me, DH, DS9, DD18months, my mom, my MIL, my FIL, my nephew (4) my aunt, and my cousin who is 22. I listed the ages they will be at the time of travel. We are looking at 8 nights and I want to stick to about 5k for accommodations, a little more is okay. We want to stay on property. I was considering the tree house villas but I am worried that we will spend to much time walking from the tree houses to the main parts of the resort. We will have 2 cars however neither will belong to me so I will not want to drive them. My DH has bad knees and my FIL is on oxygen so after a morning walking around the parks they won't be up for walking far to the pool etc. I do like that the tree house villas have a kitchen, washer, and dryer. And that they are so close to DTD. We could also book 3 rooms somewhere but I am not a fan of the value resorts. My DH and I will need our own room, my aunt and cousin will share their own room, and my in-laws will need a room. My mom is happy anywhere. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My first thought would be a monorail resort but I'm not sure the cost for 3 rooms? Another deluxe would be Wilderness lodge, you can take the boat to MK and also the friendship boat to the contemporary hotel (and catch the monorail). You might be able to get a good discount for WL.

If you need to stay at a moderate I would do POFQ. It's a small resort so not much walking, the young ones will love the pool, the pool slide is perfect for really young ones. The theme should please everyone. Piano bar amusement some nights for the grandparents. Also you have the boat to DTD perfect for down time from the parks (night life for the 22 year old LOL!). And you can take the boat up to POR which would be another pool and larger pool slide for the 9 year old to enjoy.

Port Orleans Riverside is a moderate resort and the preferred rooms that are close to the front bus stop and food court are $179 a night and can accommodate up to 5 ppl. 3 rooms at POR would come in under your 5k budget for your rooms.

It's good that you are planning early...especially if you are considering villa accomodations. One option to keep costs down would be to look into renting DVC points, which would allow you to possibly keep the costs down. You could either all stay in one villa or possibly break it down into 3 studios, a 1br and 2 studios, 2br and 1 studio...whatever would be best for you. SSR resort (as opposed to the villas) might be a good option because you still get the proximity to DTD, bus stops are around the resort so not a long walk to those, and you could always put in a request for your FIL's mobility issues. Not sure if the regular resort appeals to you, but they usually have availability so if a combination of studios and/or 1br/2br rooms might be easiest to coordinate there if you were renting points.

Biggest downside to renting points I think would be that there is not much (if any) flexibilty if you need to cancel or change the reservation. If that might be an issue, then booking direct through Disney and keeping an eye out for PINs or discounts might be a better way to go. A good code with seperate rooms at a moderate might work too...but then you wouldn't have the benefit or in room laundry and kitchen.

Other things to keep in mind if you rent points is to plan as far out ahead as possible because some book up really fast at 11 months out, there is no daily housekeeping, and do your research about the resort so there are no surprises. There's tons of information out there, everything from resort photos to room layouts, so I would check those against your needs before making any decisions. DVCrequest.com has a point calculator to give you an idea of cost based on the dates you are looking at and you can compare that against direct through Disney to see if it really is a savings for you...sometimes it is not.

Another thing to keep in mind (and I only say this because it is an issue with my family), really think about whether or not you all want to stay in one room or if that will just be too much 'together' time for all of you. Sometimes it's really nice to be able to go back to your own room for some alone time...and just meet up in the mornings at one of the rooms or at the food court. This might work really well if you got one 1br and 2 studios...all meet at the 1br and then you can take advantage of the full kitchen in that room. I know in my family, with that extended time together...sometimes it's best to be able to get away from each other for a little while...keeps the peace.

Anyway...those are just some ideas and thoughts that I thought might fit your needs. Hope it helps...even if it's just some other things to think about.

I'm sure it will be a great trip!! Have fun planning!

I suggest looking into renting DVC points and getting a 2 bedroom standard view room(sleeps 8) and an extra studio(sleeps 4). The cost if you got a rate of $11 a point would be around $5k. You would need to book by June(11 month room) to get a standard view and would need to be willing to rent directly from a individual to get the $11 rate. We have done this every year for 6 years and find that it is a way to stay in deluxe accomidations without paying a deluxe price.

Boardwalk is within walking distance of Epcot. There is a boat that will take you to DHS.

I love Boardwalk:cool1:

For three room under 5k at a deluxe resort for 8 nights your best bet may be the Swan and Dolphin. The location may work out great for your husband and father in law, and with rates under $200 per night (perhaps cheaper- is anyone in your party a teacher or nurse?).

The downside would be no dining plan and no magical express (but it sounds like you are driving anyway.) But the upside of being in the middle of the Epcot area with boats to DHS and Epcot would be great!

I agree about the Swan or Dolphin. You can't beat the location, and prices per room for under $200/night are fairly common.

If anyone in the group is in the military Shades of Green would be an inexpensive option as well.

Thank you for the suggestions!

We are interested in doing the dining plan so I do not think the swan or dolphin will work out. Can we do the dining plan if we rent points? If it is much cheaper then we could do without the dining plan, I just like having most of our dining prepaid for.

Thank you for the suggestions!

We are interested in doing the dining plan so I do not think the swan or dolphin will work out. Can we do the dining plan if we rent points? If it is much cheaper then we could do without the dining plan, I just like having most of our dining prepaid for.

Yes, the owner would have to book the DDP for you. I'd be careful about renting points, I've heard of people being burnt.

I like the option of 3 rooms at a moderate. POR is our fav, in the mansion section. http://allears.net/acc/g_dxl.htm

For FIL, on oxygen, he can rent a scooter. There are off site rental places that will deliver scooter to your room, then FIL would have it for the resort as well as at the parks, and I believe they charge a lot less then WDW charges for a daily rental.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter