Where is the funnel cake? Updated 8/13/13 Finale!!

I was about to award Brenda a point for the DIS meet with photo when I realized that this is Karla's thread, not Brenda's. :lmao:

But anyway...Yay for DIS meets! :cool1:

I was about to award Brenda a point for the DIS meet with photo when I realized that this is Karla's thread, not Brenda's. :lmao:

Please hang on to that point.... it shall be duly awarded soon!! :lmao:

I'm so glad that you recognized Em!! Otherwise I would have completely missed a fabulous impromptu Dismeet!!

And folks, I saw the pucker from the frozen lemondade so it must have been tart! :rotfl2:

We did bump into each other in Germany... did you get a treat there? We were just browsing but if I was hungrier I would have grabbed some caramel treats.

That was so great that the CM recognized your anniversary and did something special.

In my head it played out like a movie. Slow motion at first and then the double take and then it clicked in my head.
Yes, that was a pucker I will never forgt, I must have sucked up all the lemon flavor in that one sip. We did get something and that will head up my La Hacienda review with those treats and treats they were! :lovestruc:
It was cool with the CM. We actually got lots of well wishes from CM's all over on this trip. It was a great trip.

Well, it is my thread, but it is Brenda's picture. She emailed the pictureS that we had taken after our trips were finished. Because of this point, I am not requesting to be awarded points for this picture. Brenda really does deserve to get multiple points, and if you continue to read my report, you will see why. But that is all I am willing to say right now.::yes::

Day 2 snacks and La Hacienda​

So after our wonderful dismeet, we headed over towards Germany to finally check out Karamell Kuche (spelling). Brenda and her family were also there but we were both intent on our own goodies we went our own ways. I knew what I wanted but the rest of the family had no clue, so I had to get their choices. I got the chocolate covered strawberry with caramel and the caramel marshmallow swirl. My DH got the caramel oatmeal apple cookie and a fudge chocolate caramel square. The kids didn’t get anything here since they already had their bags of goodies.
100_2014.jpg

100_2015.jpg

100_2016.jpg

100_2017.jpg

100_2018.jpg

Then there was a HUGE thunder storm and we huddled near the bathroom and ate our yummies. The strawberry was huge, sweet, juicy, and there was just the right amount of milk chocolate covering the entire strawberry. Then there was just enough caramel drizzled on top to add to the flavor. I would get a case of these delicious goodies. I kept the marshmallow for later. My DH said his cookie was ok but he wouldn’t get it again, he would try something else. I had a bite and it was ok, but I am not a fan of those ingredients together.

I would go there again and try some more goodies. Our total was $19.00 or 4 snack credits. We have 4 sc remaining.

So now on to dinner.

La Hacienda

When we were in WDW last, La Hacienda was in the process of being built, so this was our first chance to try this place. I had heard good things about this place and I love some good Mexican food. I really wanted to try this as opposed to San Angel Inn because of the more negative reviews and the just iffy menu. La Hacienda had what sounded like some great items for us to try. I also knew that my kids would like the choices also. So we checked in and with in 5 minutes we were seated. We were seated in a booth and I took some pictures from our seats.
100_2025.jpg

100_2026.jpg

100_2030.jpg

100_2027.jpg

100_2029.jpg

Our server Rosa was very friendly and accommodating. She explained our options on the deluxe plan. We also explained that we were not even close to hungry but we wanted to try this place. So, we opted to skip appetizers (I know value for the money and getting the most out of the plan and all…blah, blah, blah). I really wanted the appetizers, but we had a plan. Ever read Of mice and men…??? So we ordered the
La Hacienda - Mixed grill offering New York strip, chicken al pastor, chorizo and vegetables, served with beans and fresh salsas
100_2033.jpg

And then we also got the
Del Mar - Mixed grill offering shrimp, fish, scallops and vegetables, served with beans and fresh salsas
100_2032.jpg

The strip steak was good and juicy and flavored very nicely. I made some steak tacos of sorts with the little flour tortillas they served with the meals. They were fresh and hot and yummy. The chicken was a bit dry but everyone else liked it. I was not a fan of the chorizo but DH and DD liked them. On the seafood platter, the scallops were perfectly cooked and yummy and the fish not bad. I am not a fish fan but this was good. Even our DD who refuses to eat fish had some. That must count for something. Now the shrimp, that was some spicy, hot shrimp. It was perfectly cooked but too spicy for my liking. There were sides that came with it and I liked 2 of the 3. The rice was delicious and flavorful and complimented the beans nicely. The black beans were so scrumptious! I am not normally a fan, and I wasn’t going to have any but that darn DD of mine said, “Mommy, you REALLY need to try these!” Ok, don’t tell her I am saying this, but she was so right. Cooked perfectly and creamy they were a surprise hit. These trays were a great way for all of us to mix and match and try many types of meats and go back for the ones we really liked the most. Now, on to the third side I didn’t like. The corn, I am not sure what was on it or if I just got too much of the stuff on top, but if I were 5 years old, I would not have been as discreet as I was, let’s just say that I didn’t go back for another forkful of that! Now, the others seemed to like it, but it was the least favorite item of the meal. We did get dessert, but decided to get it to go. We got the
Empanada de Manzana - puff pastry filled with sauteed caramel apples, served with dulce de leche ice cream and cajeta (caramel sauce) and the
Tamal de Dulce - sweet tamal filled with guava, topped with strawberry coulis

I have no pictures of these because we go them to go and I am sad to say that I honestly can’t do a review of these because we were never hungry enough to eat them and the lingered in our room fridge until we had to dispose of them. Sorry!

So, what did we think about La Hacienda? We would rate it a
4 :fish:
The food was delicious and well seasoned and plenty of it. Having the two sharing platters was a good choice for us to try all the options. My only regret? I regret that I was not hungry enough to try the appetizers or the desserts.

Our meal cost $148.64 or 4 TS credits or $37.16/credit. Yes, I would go back, but I will go back when I am hungry.

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at La Hacienda. We had an ADR there for our Dec trip...until a few days ago, when I gave it the axe and booked Brown Derby.

I still plan on La Hacienda for our Oct trip next year.

Karamel Kurche looks soooo ammmmmmmazing! Cant wait to try some of those goodies!

Sorry you weren't able to get an American Dream. Those do look very refreshing.

Yea for unexpected Dis meets :thumbsup2

The seafood platter at La Hacienda looks so good! I'm on the fence about trying it again after a disappointing first experience, but your review has me considering putting it back on the list. :)

We went there last trip and loved it, but you are right, go there hungry! I must say that I am learning from this trip report so far to not do three TS meals in one day. I think I would e plied! Just too much food! DH would have to roll me out of there. Lol

But, the most important question is...did you find the funnel cake at the American Pavilion?

I've had the seafood plate at La Hacienda, too! Like you, I loved the scallops. They were so perfectly cooked! The mahi mahi was probably the best I've ever had. I'm not a shrimp eater so I passed on those but my nephew loved them. Glad you enjoyed your meal there!

That seafood platter looks delicious!!! :thumbsup2 It's a pity though that the shrimp was too spicy, because they looked especially yummy. :worried: I was thinking I'd go with the tilapia next time I visit La Hacienda, but now I'll have to consider the seafood platter too. :lmao:

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at La Hacienda. We had an ADR there for our Dec trip...until a few days ago, when I gave it the axe and booked Brown Derby.

I still plan on La Hacienda for our Oct trip next year.

Karamel Kurche looks soooo ammmmmmmazing! Cant wait to try some of those goodies!

Sorry you weren't able to get an American Dream. Those do look very refreshing.

Yea for unexpected Dis meets :thumbsup2

La Hacienda was good, I WILL do that place again! Never been to Brown Derby, DH has never wanted to go there. The caramel is so good and they have something for just about any craving you are having. Brenda and her family were so nice and very friendly, glad we met them.

The seafood platter at La Hacienda looks so good! I'm on the fence about trying it again after a disappointing first experience, but your review has me considering putting it back on the list. :)

It was really good. Next time, I would really like to try some appetizers and desserts, maybe even skip the entrees, but the scallops were so good and I love all things scallops.

We went there last trip and loved it, but you are right, go there hungry! I must say that I am learning from this trip report so far to not do three TS meals in one day. I think I would e plied! Just too much food! DH would have to roll me out of there. Lol

We have now realized that if we do Deluxe again, we will do a mid to late breakfast and a signature dinner. But you feel so obligated to eat so much because almost all of it is SO very good.

But, the most important question is...did you find the funnel cake at the American Pavilion?

We did find the funnel cake but did not get it there because it is not a snack credit in Epcot! And since I wasn't hungry, I wouldn't have gotten it there that day. But we have another epcot day and 2 magic kingdom days still coming up. We still have a chance to find the ever elusive funnel cake.

I've had the seafood plate at La Hacienda, too! Like you, I loved the scallops. They were so perfectly cooked! The mahi mahi was probably the best I've ever had. I'm not a shrimp eater so I passed on those but my nephew loved them. Glad you enjoyed your meal there!

My DH says the shrimp here were not as spicy as the ones at Raglan Road, but I must have hit a pocket of spice or something cause I think they were really spicy. But the scallops, man I could eat those all day long.

That seafood platter looks delicious!!! :thumbsup2 It's a pity though that the shrimp was too spicy, because they looked especially yummy. :worried: I was thinking I'd go with the tilapia next time I visit La Hacienda, but now I'll have to consider the seafood platter too. :lmao:

My DH and DS finished those off, they loved them.

Great job with the photos! Enjoying every one! :)
Thanks, I was using my new camera that I had bought about 3 months before. Loved using it on great looking and tasting food.
Better to make you drool with!!! :lmao:

Very, very late joining but I am here now!

Your reviews are wonderful, so much great detail :goodvibes

The seafood platter at La Hacienda looks amazing :cloud9:

Very, very late joining but I am here now!

Your reviews are wonderful, so much great detail :goodvibes

The seafood platter at La Hacienda looks amazing :cloud9:

Hi Linda,
I am honored that you have joined in on my report. :lovestruc Thank you for the kind words. Hope you enjoy the rest of my report.

Great reviews!!! You write beautifully! We were there for the same day lunch at Yak and Yeti and for Sci Fi as you were!!!! Can't wait to hear your reviews!!!!:wizard:

Hi...loving your reviews and the pictures of your family! Keep up the great work and maybe one day we will bump into each other in Disney! :goodvibes

Great reviews!!! You write beautifully! We were there for the same day lunch at Yak and Yeti and for Sci Fi as you were!!!! Can't wait to hear your reviews!!!!:wizard:

Thank you very much and welcome to my review! I have Tusker House to post tonight then the next one will be Yak and Yeti. If I had known you were there, I would have said :wave2:

Hi...loving your reviews and the pictures of your family! Keep up the great work and maybe one day we will bump into each other in Disney! :goodvibes

Thank you so much for your kind words! I would love to bump into or meet with you or any other Disers in the World. The next time we plan to go down is in 2014 when all of Fantasyland will be finished.

Just joining in now, fabulous reviews so far!!

Welcome and thank you so very much. Glad to have you along!

Slightly :offtopic:, I made my homemade Loaded Cream of Baked Potato Soup today. My DD wanted me to make it for her Birthday Dinner. (sidenote: we listed her as 10 on our vacation because she didn't want the "kiddy" menu, so we paid more money than we really needed to but she was happy to be able to get all the adult food that she so loves.) So, since her birthday is tomorrow, I made the soup for her! And of course she loved it. And if I have to say so myself, it was pretty darn good. Now back to the reviews...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter