Where is muster quieter?

Mainsail Minnie

Momketeer
Inside or outside? Any vets have an opinion on this? I have extremely oversensitive ears & have a choice between two completely equal staterooms, one with an inside muster (theater) and one with an outside muster (deck 4). Any idea on which is less loud? I've been through it before & know it's loud anywhere, & wear a ton of ear protection, as well. But any reduction of the noise, in terms of choosing a better location, would help.

Anyone ever noticed the noise being worse/better indoors vs. outdoors?

Inside or outside? Any vets have an opinion on this? I have extremely oversensitive ears & have a choice between two completely equal staterooms, one with an inside muster (theater) and one with an outside muster (deck 4). Any idea on which is less loud? I've been through it before & know it's loud anywhere, & wear a ton of ear protection, as well. But any reduction of the noise, in terms of choosing a better location, would help.

Anyone ever noticed the noise being worse/better indoors vs. outdoors?
Not real sure as to "quieter", but inside in the theater is certainly more comfortable.

Outside is terrible. They pack you in while you bake in the sun Inside is definitely preferable for the completely pointless muster exercise. Take that if you can get it. ETA: If noise bothers you, then definitely be aware of when the alarm sounds. Depending on where you are, it can be VERY LOUD. Best to plug your ears right before it goes off.

I know outside is less comfortable otherwise, but the noise issue far supercedes that for me due to a medical condition with my ears. That's why I'm asking.

Do you have noise cancelling headphones? You could wear those for the parts where the alarm was sounding and then take them off for the instructions. They let kids do this regularly.

I believe you've said this is your first cruise. I encourage you to listen to the drill (and still on future cruises) so you understand what to do in case of emergency. While you probably won't remember what all the horn patterns are, you will take away what to do with yourself.

Do you have noise cancelling headphones? You could wear those for the parts where the alarm was sounding and then take them off for the instructions. They let kids do this regularly.

I believe you've said this is your first cruise. I encourage you to listen to the drill (and still on future cruises) so you understand what to do in case of emergency. While you probably won't remember what all the horn patterns are, you will take away what to do with yourself.
I've cruised 5 times & every time the muster is the roughest part of the cruise strictly due to the noise. The waiting and crowding isn't fun, but that's nothing compared the the feeling of that horn going off.

I do already wear both earplugs (carry them with me everywhere) and high-quality padded noise-reduction headphones to the drills. It is still unpleasant (without them it would be unbearable, like getting a tooth drilled without Novacaine). I just wondered if one location might be better than the ones I've been in before. Never did muster in the theater before.

One other point - you don't get a choice of inside/outside muster stations. Its based on your stateroom. There is a list somewhere on these boards showing what station each room is assigned to.

One other point - you don't get a choice of inside/outside muster stations. Its based on your stateroom. There is a list somewhere on these boards showing what station each room is assigned to.
Right. As i said, I have a choice of two equal staterooms, just 2 doors apart. One has muster inside, one outside. I know from checking that list.

Outside is terrible. They pack you in while you bake in the sun Inside is definitely preferable for the completely pointless muster exercise. Take that if you can get it. ETA: If noise bothers you, then definitely be aware of when the alarm sounds. Depending on where you are, it can be VERY LOUD. Best to plug your ears right before it goes off.
Do you know exactly what time it goes off?

Is your issue the actual siren alarm or the ambient noise, too?

I've only done muster inside and it's loud so I have nothing to compare it too. I'm wondering if you could speak to a CM and let them know of your issue and maybe they can direct you somewhere to be while the siren blares and then you can re-join the group for the rest of the instruction. I mean, the point of the alarm is that it should be heard everywhere so I don't know if anywhere is "better."

If ambient noise is your issue, unfortunately I think it's going to depend on the rest of the group in your muster station. I've done some where people were attentive and listening and others when the CM's in charge used the siren on their bullhorn a couple times because people obviously weren't paying attention. In that case, I'd at least show up on the late side and try to get a seat in the back.

Is your issue the actual siren alarm or the ambient noise, too?

I've only done muster inside and it's loud so I have nothing to compare it too. I'm wondering if you could speak to a CM and let them know of your issue and maybe they can direct you somewhere to be while the siren blares and then you can re-join the group for the rest of the instruction. I mean, the point of the alarm is that it should be heard everywhere so I don't know if anywhere is "better."

If ambient noise is your issue, unfortunately I think it's going to depend on the rest of the group in your muster station. I've done some where people were attentive and listening and others when the CM's in charge used the siren on their bullhorn a couple times because people obviously weren't paying attention. In that case, I'd at least show up on theo late side and try to get a seat in the back.
My issue is only the actual siren. It's on a whole other level from the ambient noise, which I'm oksy with.

Good suggestion about theater seating. I think I'll stick with the theater muster location stateroom, show up on the early side & ask to be seated in a quiet area. I'll ask my concierge for suggestions beforehand, too. Maybe they'll be able to help.

My issue is only the actual siren. It's on a whole other level from the ambient noise, which I'm oksy with.

Good suggestion about theater seating. I think I'll stick with the theater muster location stateroom, show up on the early side & ask to be seated in a quiet area. I'll ask my concierge for suggestions beforehand, too. Maybe they'll be able to help.

In our experience on the Dream and Fantasy, they start announcing that it is coming with lots of warning. At some point beforehand they open the emergency stair routes -- and in our experience will let guests go down before the alarm sounds. We have done this and are about 50/50 for making it out of the stairs before the alarm sounds. In the emergency stairs it is somewhat of an echo chamber and that alarm is loud. It is possible to bypass the emergency stairs by just going well enough early through normal halls to the area of your muster station entrance, but then you lose the experience of taking the emergency stairs, which is beneficial should there ever be a need to use them.

As others have noted, the theatre is much more comfortable to be in for muster.

SW

Have you talked with DCL about an alternate to the group muster? I thought there was an alternate time for those who were unable to attend the ship-wide drill. This seems like an accommodation they could /should make for you.

So you know the horn is not a high pitch, fire alarm sound. It is loud but a fire alarm is much worse. Maybe mention this when you check into muster. The announce when they do the horns. Time to stick your fingers in.

Have you talked with DCL about an alternate to the group muster? I thought there was an alternate time for those who were unable to attend the ship-wide drill. This seems like an accommodation they could /should make for you.
I did before a prior cruise, explaining my condition and they said there was no alternative but to go to the muster station I was assigned like everyone else.

Usually 4pm, but each cruise may be different. They start announcing it 30 minutes prior. You are better off being outside when it sounds, but overall being indoors for the muster drill is a better experience.
So you think it's louder inside?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter