Where do you vacation other than Disney?

bless7ings

DIS Veteran
I wanted to do cost comparisons of Disney trips value versus other places.

Where do you go on vacation other than Disney?
Is there anything out there comparable to Disney?
Where else to go that has some of the perks that Disney offers?

We love Disney was just wondering what else is out there that we might be missing and wondering their value versus Disney.:rolleyes:

We are road trip and ocean lovers. We are used to the Oregon and Washington coasts and that part of the Pacific is rather chilly. So we LOVED Cocoa Beach, 1 hour east of Orlando. We were there for the day 3 weeks ago and all of us, from the oldest to the baby, could have stayed there for a few more days, even a week.
We love to stay on the beach, watch sunsets (we would have loved to see the sunrise on the Atlantic) play in the sand, just the whole beach scene plus the beach towns.
We are not theme park people, I know, crazy, but my DH and I both said that it would be fun once the youngest kid is old enough to understand it all.
Our road trips to the beach, we live in Montana, cost way less than a Florida trip as we'd have to fly down there.

Atlantis and Hilton Head. Done a few trips to Europe and one to Hong Kong.

I would say Atlantis is quite comparable, in its scale and immersive-ness. It doesn't have four theme parks, but what it does have is quite unique (like things at Disney)

Its also similar in expense to WDW in that you can go all out and blow a retirement fund, or keep to a budget if you need to.
What do you mean by 'perks'?

I actually think Universal has the best perks for theme parks, by offering unlimited express line access to on-site resort guests.

We go to hawaii, which is way cheaper for us than Disney. I consider that a comparable trip.

Last year we took a spur of the moment Grand Canyon trip and it was the most amazing thing ever. I love Disney but it honestly makes me sick to think more people have been to Disney than have been to the Grand Canyon. Perhaps because it is nearly impossible to describe how awe inspring the Grand Canyon is. You do not need to be an outdoorsy person to really enjoy it, but I was beyond shocked that I made it to 40 years old and had never been. Certainly a raft trip down the Grand Canyon is comparable to Disney. Probably about the same cost.

My 7 year old asked if we had "have to go to Disney anymore? I want to see some mountains" he says. So after this next trip we will be branching out and exploring other vacation sites as well.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We enjoy cruising. The kids actually prefer to do a cruise then Disney because they get more pool/ocean beach time on a cruise then Disney.

What I meant by the perks of Disney:

* Hotel: With atmosphere and food options. While others are getting ready I can feel safe that family members can: 1) Go down stairs (without going outdoors ) to get a food in the morning. 2) Has options. We can eat in our room or go get a bagel or yogurt and my father can enjoy breakfast and coffee in the restaurant all while waiting for “everyone” to get ready. No body is all out of sorts “waiting” for everyone to get ready.

* Can be all inclusive with meals or not.

* Easy, fun ( I like the monorail and the boats ) transportation.

* Great theming! Lots of variety in scenery and food!!

* Entertainment for 0 to 99. Great for a large family like ours and to bring the grandparents.

* Unpack once and have lots of fun! Other vacations we are always packing and unpacking the van.
Going from one location to another.

* For whatever reason, I feel the most comfortable here to go and do things without begging my
husband to come with me. ::yes:: He can stay at the resort with sleeping kids and I can go to one of the
parks with the other kids. (or vice versa )

What my husband likes about Disney:

staying at the resort and it is all inclusive

atmosphere

variety of different parks

good for all ages, something for everyone

the best bang for your buck

variety of food

Value is so subjective, I am not sure anyone can really answer your question. We travel everywhere....Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, the Caribbean, all over the US.

Disney is fun and we certainly enjoy our trips but they are not our favorite. Our favorite trips are when we go somewhere new.

Pretty much any major city in Europe would meet your needs. You could rent an apartment and have food there for your breakfast or run outside and get a quick croissant or muffin or whatever you need. There is fabulous public transportation that makes getting around a breeze. Wonderful museums, churches, government buildings, parks, shopping, etc.

There is a whole world out there besides Disney. Have fun exploring it!

With your list of perks, you should definitely try cruising, and not just with DCL. You can explore lots of interesting ports of call while having lots of flexibility and activities for people of all ages. We have climbed pyramids in Belize after taking a boat ride through the jungle, explored small towns, played at a beach...all as part of the same cruise.
We are not huge Disney fans, but we do love to travel.

The biggest reason we LOVE Disney Vacations is that we know our way around - and it is really easy to plan...once you know your way around - and how it all works!

We vacationed in Gatlinburg, TN with my DW's family and we quickly remembered why we LOVE Disney - when you go through a vacation paying as you go, it is quickly realize how the overall cost is mentally crushing LOL

We love big cities, but cities are SO expensive - we spent two nights in NYC prior to sailing out this fall and the meals alone..for two nights, were ridiculous!

We like to go away for a weekend of two a few times a year - it takes a lot of planning to keep things in a reasonable price range.

The closest we get to 'Disney' outside of Disney is Disney Cruise Line HAHA We tried Carnival cruise line...but it fell seriously short in terms of food quality, activities, hospitality, staterooms, decor, overall style, and well - frankly the type of cruiser that the line seems to attract.

Disney executes with style, class, grace, and sophistication without being stuffy, tired, aloof, or pretentious.

We look forward to trying Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, and other in the future - but in the mean time - It's Disney Cruise Line, Walt Disney World, and the Disneyland Resort.

We will try Adventures By Disney at some point in the not so distant future.

BUT, if you're looking for safe, sane, and affordable - try cruising!

We have never done a cruise but from what I have read from others, it sounds like a cruise would be a good choice.
With a large family ourselves (we are expecting #7), I would love to find a beach rental for a week. Get our own food, have no worries on having to get out and about for openings/closings, etc. Plus exploring the tourist areas. We have done dune buggy tours in southern Oregon (DH and 1) that we can't wait to bring the kids to once they are all a little older.
We aren't crowd people at all.
Europe sounds LOVELY!

We have done lots of Royal Caribbean cruises - love them! We have also done long weekend trips - local places like NYC and Jershey Shore. We've been to Vero Beach, Fl, California (Disneyland and up and down the coast) and Hawaii too (love Maui! - the Grand Wailea!).

This summer we are trying Beaches Turks and Caicos! It will be our first time and I'm hoping it will be a favorite (especially for the price). It's all inclusive, which will be a first for us. We like to relax on vacation but we also like the option of doing stuff at a moment's notice, so Beaches sounds like the right place for us.

Our non-Disney vacations tend to be in Lake George NY. It's a totally different type of vacation, more restful. It's a very family-centered area, with lots to do.

This year I had planned to visit Williamsburg, but I think that instead we're going to do a 'staycation' and remodel the kitchen.

We did Universal only this past year ( and we are again this August). It was about $1000 cheaper for us ( Universal resorts are all deluxe resorts by Disney standards but depending on time of year they can come out alot less).Lots of food options, friendly staff and LOCATION can't be beat..Literally a walk or short boat ride.The express pass for resort guests beats the pants off Disneys Fastpass system too

We go to a lot of National Parks. They are educational and beautiful...and since we camp, very cheap! :)

In the last several years we have been to

The Everglades
Acadia national Park
Mammoth Cave National park

We also went to Canada a couple years ago. We went to Montreal, we camped in Gatineau park, and went to Niagara Falls

VAfamily1998 said:
We go to a lot of National Parks. They are educational and beautiful...and since we camp, very cheap! :)

In the last several years we have been to

The Everglades
Acadia national Park
Mammoth Cave National park

We also went to Canada a couple years ago. We went to Montreal, we camped in Gatineau park, and went to Niagara Falls

Try Glacier National Park...absolutely gorgeous.

I wanted to do cost comparisons of Disney trips value versus other places.

We love Disney was just wondering what else is out there that we might be missing and wondering their value versus Disney.:rolleyes:

To answer the first question. My husband and I have a friend who has a timeshare, and we often spend time at one of her timeshares on the Oregon Coast. In fact we just got back from a two day, two night stay at one of her timeshares on the coast. We loved it. The resort we stay at has a lot to offer, and I love it for the fact that it's a whole lot better than staying in a hotel because we get to cook our own meals which saves us money from having to eat at a restaurant.

My husband and I also spend a week up at Mt. Hood. That's another one of our favorite vacation spots. There's the Timberline Lodge up there that's really beautiful to stay in.

We've also done cruises with Carnival, and Princess Cruises. They offer a lot more of the perks than what Disney would offer like getting to visit different islands at each stop, swimming, snorkeling at the different islands; and a whole lot of fun for the whole family. My mom took all of us kids, and our families on a cruise last year through Princess Cruises. We did the Caribbean cruise, and it was fun. The fun part for my family to watch was when we would arrive at every port. I'm a wheelchair user, and when we would reach the gangway. Two of the crew men would pick me, and my manual wheelchair up, and carry me down the gangway. They were sure strong as my manual wheelchair weighs only 27lbs., and I'm about 110lbs.

Another place that might be fun that I personally loved when I visited there for the first time is Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. It has a fun boardwalk with lots of fun carnival rides, great shops and restaurants, and lots of entertainment. Much like Disney minus the character interactions.

Besides our annual Disney trip, we always do a week in the Hamptons during the summer. Those are our 2 definite trips a year.

We also love Hawaii and have been there a lot, though not in the past few years since DD was born.
We've done DCL twice and are booked for Oct 2013.

We've taken the kids on several cruises, all over the U.S., Spain. I can honestly say that we have never been disappointed by any trip, any place.

Some standouts? Our recent cruise. We just went on the Oasis of the Seas and had the most amazing time. I can't begin to describe how incredible that ship was.

Sedona was also another stand out. That was a truly magical vacation. There is so much beauty out there, and so much to do. We're thinking of going back again next summer.

The one thing I refuse to do when on vacation is compare it to Disney. Every place is unique, and each destination has something to offer. I go to places other than Disney for the experience, so to compare them would serve no purpose.

RMulieri said:
We did Universal only this past year ( and we are again this August). It was about $1000 cheaper for us ( Universal resorts are all deluxe resorts by Disney standards but depending on time of year they can come out alot less).Lots of food options, friendly staff and LOCATION can't be beat..Literally a walk or short boat ride.The express pass for resort guests beats the pants off Disneys Fastpass system too

I agree. We did this last year. This year, we are going to Busch Garden in April. Then we are doing Universal, SeaWorld,and Aquatica in June. Both of these trips together are cheaper than our last trip at Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter