Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

Wasn't really sure which of the threads in "Purchasing DVC" to post in, so I picked this one 😄

Out of boredom I've been searching recorded deeds on the Orange County comptroller website and am seeing some outrageous deals. Examples:

$47 per point for AKV
$86 per point for Boardwalk (a 25 point contract no less!)

What's going on here?! I quickly stopped browsing, to stop myself from feeling bad about my own resale contract deal 😅
Probably buyatimeshare.com. I saw a BWV one that sold for $60/point. Must be someone who knows nothing about selling DVC and has never heard of Google.

I think the DVC points are going to drop by around 20 percent. I dont think we will see prices like 2011 anytime in the near future.

Wasn't really sure which of the threads in "Purchasing DVC" to post in, so I picked this one 😄

Out of boredom I've been searching recorded deeds on the Orange County comptroller website and am seeing some outrageous deals. Examples:

$47 per point for AKV

What's going on here?! I quickly stopped browsing, to stop myself from feeling bad about my own resale contract deal 😅
I wonder if these are ‘family’ sales?

$47 per point for AKV

I’m not sure outrageous deals are totally unusual, some people are just clueless. But Disney usually ROFRs them and right now they aren’t.

Could these also be coming from the foreclosure route?

I wonder if these are ‘family’ sales?
I also wondered if these could be sales between friends or families

I’m not sure outrageous deals are totally unusual, some people are just clueless. But Disney usually ROFRs them and right now they aren’t.

Could these also be coming from the foreclosure route?

I came across a few of those and their contracts looked very different, these were standard contracts, AKV was Magic Title and BWV was Timeshare Closing Services (haven't heard of this one)

$47 per point for AKV

What terms do you need to enter in the search field there? This sounds fun!

I came across a few of those and their contracts looked very different, these were standard contracts, AKV was Magic Title and BWV was Timeshare Closing Services (haven't heard of this one)
Ah okay. The BWV one matches the price on a “sold” contract on the site @deedubb mentioned. Not a chance in **** I would buy from that site without being able to pick my own title agency. They don’t even tell you how many points are available. But they do have some deals (e.g. $76 per point for a 200 point SSR contract right now)

We had a rental. We were supposed to be at BCV right now. We went through a company. We were about to lose $8000. They did end up giving us a voucher for future use. That was not guaranteed because there is a no cancellation clause. i will be very weary of renting. I want to be in control of my vacation, which is not how I have felt during the last few months but no one could have predicted in October that this would happen.
Why are renters disgruntled? Did they not either get their money back, or get a replacement reservation booked in its place?

We rented a stay out, and it has been re-booked for a third time now. First was a hurricane threatening (my family just used the booking), second was medical illness, and now we have it booked for them next May. Quite a bit of extra work on our part, but I feel it was only fair.

6/29 update

number of newly posted resale contracts at about 260-280% of average*

* Aggregating site is not updating so lower level is directly observed, upper level includes what is would typically only observed through the aggregating site.

BWV was Timeshare Closing Services
That's a back-of-house transfer agent that closes transactions for a number of closely related timeshare exit businesses whose names are constantly changing. The general business model: they pressure distressed or unhappy timeshare owners into paying an upfront fee to "free themselves from the never-ending burden of maintenance fees" or some such hogwash. What happens after that varies with the specific model. The most common is to transfer it to a "viking ship" business--it collects these deeds, never pays anything on them, ignores collections notices, extracts as much cash as it can for as long as they can, and eventually bankrupts the shell company before forming another one and starting over. Along the way, they try to sell anything that might have some value--there are a few storefronts for this, but most of the more marginal ones end up on ebay. If they sell, fine, if not no worries. The selling price is less important than just selling them, because it allows them to avoid racking up debt if they can flip the deeds quickly. They also collect the fees via Timeshare Closing Services, but that's just icing.

A few are even less scrupulous and never actually transfer the deed but instead get a power of attorney. If they are able to flip something, it will get transferred using that POA (eventually), but maybe after another year goes by with unpaid fees.

Not a chance in **** I would buy from that site without being able to pick my own title agency.
I've picked up a couple of timeshares going this route. They will not close with anyone else, and don't mind if you walk because of it---after all, selling is just a convenience, not actually something that is core to the business model. If you know what you are doing, it can be a good deal, but you have to know what you are doing. The listings are often wrong and you have to read the deeds carefully and know how the underlying resort actually works. But, because they are so sloppy, they have to sell at a lower price to move anything at all. Caveat emptor.

The timeshare industry has more than its fair share of shady businesses as part of its ecosystem. It makes a certain amount of sense, if you think about how someone typically becomes a timeshare owner in the first place.

Last edited:
One interesting side-effect of the cancellation "industry" is that it has encouraged the larger developers to create a viable route for owners to divest themselves from a timeshare they no longer want. After all, dealing with the Viking ships is a real PITA. Wyndham, for example, will take back a fully-paid deed at resorts for which they are the manager. If you were the original purchaser, you get an extra three years of (limited) use. if you bought resale, you don't but it also doesn't cost you anything. Most of these do have some residual value, but it's often worth doing a deedback in exchange for the simplicity and certainty of it all rather than try to sell it to someone else for a dime on the dollar (or less).

My wife has been rabidly watching the listings / sales and it's been pretty amazing how quickly they are being moved to "pending". We are really on the fence right now as we have considered buying for a few years. It's almost like if we don't... in a year or two we will be kicking ourselves. It's been really tough making a decision!

Anyone else on the fence?

We were on the fence and just went for it.
My wife has been rabidly watching the listings / sales and it's been pretty amazing how quickly they are being moved to "pending". We are really on the fence right now as we have considered buying for a few years. It's almost like if we don't... in a year or two we will be kicking ourselves. It's been really tough making a decision!

I live on that fence-
We bought direct in 201o
Added on direct in 2018
Added on Resale in 2020
& Back on the fence, watching the prices with you.
To-date my only regrets were not buying more point, and not buying sooner.
This year, however, has thrown a monkey wrench into the works.
Who knows if my latest purchase will prove to be a wise move??
But, holding out hope for 2021, I am still watching the market prices........
ET:darth:

I’m watching prices, but something really amazing would have to come up to tempt me to buy right now. I’m in agreement with others that there will be a dip in prices at the end of the year before MF come due.

I am in the watching group. I think prices will drop. I don't think we have seen the full impact on the economy yet. At my work we haven't had any impact...yet... The general thought is that they are waiting until next year for layoffs from a PR standpoint. If that were to happen lots of people who are ok now may need to sell.

I am in the watching group. I think prices will drop. I don't think we have seen the full impact on the economy yet.

When do you predict they could drop even more? Early 2021? We already have a trip booked but then we are looking at all that cash thinking it could've went towards DVC and then of course if we bought one with points left we could still go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter