Where do you *not* budget?

Kraft cheese (however I make my own mac and cheese - YUMMIER)
Senso coffee
Starbucks (they are the only place you can get green tea lattes)
Juicy Juice

Ya, that's about it. Frugal frugal!

My must-haves are :
Health care and vet care, produce, Angel Soft TP, ALL Free & Clear laundry soap, Diet Cherry Coke or Diet Mt. Dew, Kraft Miracle Whip and Kraft salad dressings, Always & Tampax only, brand name toiletries, Wellness pet food for the dog and kitties, Tidy cat litter, Fekkai hair styling products (for my crazy curls) although I am using less expensive shampoo and conditioner, Bacardi rum or Absolut vodka...
ummm..I can't think of much else. We had to budget when I became a SAHM 9 yrs ago so we didn't have to pay out the $$ for daycare and now that my "baby" is in 1st grade and I graduated from my technical program (yesterday! WOOT! :cheer2: ) I'll be looking for a job and keeping our budget in place. :thumbsup2 But those are the few things off the top of my head I won't scrimp on.

I generally buy store brand but I stick with name brand products for:

Feminine products
Mayo (Hellman's)
Coffee (Maxwell House)
Toothpaste
Toilet Paper (Cottonelle)
Ice Cream (Edy's or Perry's with a coupon or on sale)

There are just some things I can't go cheap on.

1. Shampoo / hairspray ... I stock up during sales.

2. Feminine products. I too have tried a store brand and won't ever again!

3. Toilet paper

4. Laundry detergent. I only use Cheer. I tried a cheapie brand once and broke out in a horrible rash

5. Lunch meat...I just can't eat the pre-packaged stuff. I go to the deli.

6. Coffee ... sorry I need good coffee, preferably Dunkin Donuts or Mill Creek

7. Tennis shoes. I gotta wear KSwiss, everything else makes my feet hurt.

Pampers - everything else leaks on DD
Toilet Paper
Feminine products
Shoes (our family has bad feet and cheap shoes make it worse)
Deodorant
Shampoo and Face products for me
Granola bars - DH will only eat one specific kind

I agree with everyone who said feminine hygiene products :thumbsup2
Tide detergent and Clorox/Clorox2
Dawn dish detergent
Heinz ketchup
Prescriptives make-up and skin care
DH's dandruff shampoo
Victoria's Secret bras (I'm small in that area and need all the help, and comfort, I can get!)

Feminine products
Spaghetti Sauce ( Gotta be Hunts in a can, but not bad for 89 cents of so)
TP ( But I do buy Scott 1000 sheet)
Cat Food

So picture me in $100 jeans eating store brand mac and cheese and drinking generic soda watching a TV with rabbit ears. I am weird. :confused3

:rotfl:

It's funny because that's almost exactly the opposite of my own priorities. Half my closet comes from Wal-Mart but Lord help anyone who messes with my cable! :rotfl2:

OH, I thought of another.... Dawn dishwashing liquid. Nothing cuts grease like Dawn.

Okay I have a question. Seems everyone (well almost everyone) stated that they would never opt out for store brand fem products. I use Targets brand and never had a problem. Never. So I am confused. Is there something I don't know? HAHA!

Oh I can not go cheapo on razors! The only ones that work for me are the Venus razors. (oh have a tip about shaving...it's brilliant! Hair conditioner! I hate hate shaving lotion as it never conditioned my skin. ???)

I agree with (ORIGINAL) Dawn. It's also an awesome stain remover. It's magical!

Okay I have a question. Seems everyone (well almost everyone) stated that they would never opt out for store brand fem products. I use Targets brand and never had a problem. Never. So I am confused. Is there something I don't know? HAHA!

Oh I can not go cheapo on razors! The only ones that work for me are the Venus razors. (oh have a tip about shaving...it's brilliant! Hair conditioner! I hate hate shaving lotion as it never conditioned my skin. ???)

I agree with (ORIGINAL) Dawn. It's also an awesome stain remover. It's magical!

I don't mind the Target or Wegmans brand either. Doesn't the conditioner work great?

As far as food, toiletries and cleaning products go there isn't much I won't buy the cheapest brand of. The only exceptions that spring to mind are face moisturiser and make-up, particularly foundation. I usually stock up on make-up and skincare products when I visit the US, much cheaper than here.
As far as clothes and shoes I mix things up.. I don't mind the cheaper brands but I do like some of the pricier ones too (though i'm not talking haute couture here *lol*) I'm a bit of a clothing addict but I do sew so I make a lot of stuff and indulge my habit much more cheaply ;)

What is one thing you buy where you refuse to cut any corners?

I refuse to pinch pennies on feminine hygiene products. I am brand specific and on this one thing I don't CARE what's on sale!

That is easy...my children. ANYTHING with regards to my children and their NEEDS (not wants). I will not, under any circumstances, let them do without anything they need because the economy is so bad. I will scrub nasty toilets for $5.00 an hour if need be to make sure their needs are met. They will not ever go hungry, without a roof over their heads, without medication they need or without decent clothing/shoes to wear as long as I am alive. Period - no budging. ;)

I know it's weird but dog food & treats. Because if I change her diet she just won't eat & will immediately start losing weight. She is such a loving good dog that well I put up with her pickiness. Same goes for her treats. Oh well :confused3

Same here! Both of my dogs are on prescription food, and I only give them organic Newman's Own treats. They eat better than I do! :rotfl2: However, they are my only "children" and they are worth it!!

To be honest I never noticed any difference in how they worked. I used to grab whatever. But I really like the applicator that Playtex Beyond uses. Other than that I wouldn't care.

Oh and I forgot about conditioner, I stick with 1 or 2 name brands. I have so many mostly full bottles of cheap stuff under my sink. I finally figured out that I was wasting more money to try to save money and gave up.

To be honest I never noticed any difference in how they worked. I used to grab whatever. But I really like the applicator that Playtex Beyond uses. Other than that I wouldn't care.

Oh and I forgot about conditioner, I stick with 1 or 2 name brands. I have so many mostly full bottles of cheap stuff under my sink. I finally figured out that I was wasting more money to try to save money and gave up.

I agree...it is mostly about the applicator for me. I prefer the plastic applicator. But, I am trying to become more green and I just can't justify using the brand with the plastic applicator. So, now I just use OB. No applicator at all. And no waste.

And thanks to the pp for the tip on the hair conditioner for shaving cream. I would never have thought to do that.

I agree...it is mostly about the applicator for me. I prefer the plastic applicator. But, I am trying to become more green and I just can't justify using the brand with the plastic applicator. So, now I just use OB. No applicator at all. And no waste.

Thats why I like the Playtex Beyond, its shaped like their plastic ones but its cardboard. I was thrilled when they came out with these. I liked their plastic ones but just couldn't use them either. i tried the OB but I just couldn't get them in comfortably. Have been thinking about giving them another shot.

I am a Diet Pepsi addict, so I consider that my big splurge
We have to buy Tillamook cheese, not only because it is a superior, yummy product - but because my husband makes it, LOL!
Ditto Tillamook ice cream (even though he doesn't make that, I make the supreme sacrifice ;) )
DH likes Folgers coffee, and his motto is life is too short to drink cheap beer so he buys the good stuff.
I am very fond of Dawn detergent
I have bought the store brand of pads in a pinch, but in the end I always come back to Always with Wings
I rely on Tylenol PM to sleep most nights, and although the generics might be 100% the same, I am afraid to buy them for fear they won't work.....crazy, I know.
Crest toothpaste
I buy real Crocs shoes for me because they have to last, but I'll get my kids the cheap knock-offs since they outgrow them too fast to even wear them out.....
Can't think of much else we are picky about.....We have learned to embrace store brands as much as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter