Where do you *not* budget?

Diapers and Diet Coke are my big two. I've tried multiple generics of both but they just don't cut it - my daughter is a chunky little thing and those Pampers Cruisers just fit her so much more comfortabley! And we do Aldi brand of just about everything else, so I don't feel bad buying "real" Coke. Plus I only buy it when it's on sale (usually four 12 packs/$9-$11, depending on the store and the sale)

Quote:
Only expensive-brand bras for my breasts. Wonderbra is the cheapest I'll go, and almost only for at home.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the girls!:rotfl2:
I will only buy Wacoal bras. They are expensive, but last forever. The girls must be comfortable!

Bras; my DD15's hair products (very curly, dry, gorgeous long hair); shoes (I only buy on massive sale, but really good ones); organic milk. And of course the really big one that kills my budget: Children's education. DD9 goes to a private school and I am hoping to be able to keep her at private school until at least 9th grade. DD15 will be in college soon and I am hoping to be able to pay without having her take our exorbitant loans.

Childcare, and frankly anything that I feel impacts my childs safety -- such as carseats etc . . .

I wish more people felt that way. I am a daycare provider and so often the first question people ask when they call is now much do you charge, not what do you do, what do you provider, not even meeting me.

OK, a few ladies mentioed Bras, and I guess maybe you don't buy a brand available at a department store and wait for a sale? There are only two bras that I have found that give my breasts the right shape, but I will "stock up" when ther is a b1g1 deal at Kohl's/Macy's/L&T. I've never been in a situation where I have suddenly "run out of bras." I kind of know when they are starting to get a bit worn.

heat. I cant stand being cold:scared1:
helmans mayo.. that is a must
kraft brand mac and cheese
my childrens Christian school

I think what will be more interesting is to see if peoples lists remain the same a year from now, after gas has been over $3 for an entire year. I know for us, we are starting to waiver on some of those "must haves". I no longer go to starbucks (shocking I know) Ive traded down to a cup at MCdonalds once a week only, much cheaper and pretty good stuff. Used to be a Kraft snob, but not when I can only get it at $1.18 a box vs .45 cents for Spartan brand! When Walmart has the Kraft on sale I stock up and since it takes two boxes to feed my family, I do a box of each, and no one is the wiser. I used to be a laudry detergent snob as well, and only use Tide or Era....I hate to think how much I wasted on those brands, when I now use Gain, and love it better then those other brands! Used Pampers for the first child, and like the commercial, figured out it was just like the Jif...trying to be the "choosy" mom, so I found a knock off of each that worked for my other children. Diapers can be tricky if your child gets rashes, I could never use Luvs, had to go with Walmart brand, but they worked great and saved me a ton.

I figure the part we do not go cheap on involves me staying home. Im very close to being able to go back to work, and man would it help us out, but I refuse to not give my third child all that we did our first two....she will be in school in a blink of an eye, and Ill be back working....I will never get those years back...so for that reason I dont compromise in that area.

Quote:
Only expensive-brand bras for my breasts. Wonderbra is the cheapest I'll go, and almost only for at home.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the girls!:rotfl2:
I will only buy Wacoal bras. They are expensive, but last forever. The girls must be comfortable!

AMEN to that! Wacoal is the only way to go. I about fell over the other day when they were on clearance at the Macy's here in Texas :woohoo: I bought all they had in my size.

The other thing is I won't buy any coffee (to make at home) but Dunkin Donuts:love:

What is one thing you buy where you refuse to cut any corners?

I refuse to pinch pennies on feminine hygiene products. I am brand specific and on this one thing I don't CARE what's on sale!

I'm brand specific on those items, too. I have 2 brand preferences, so usually one is on sale when I need them. LOL.

I am also diet Coke loyal. I stock up when its on sale, like this week. I can get a 12-pack for $2.50 ... in fact, I need to go back and pick up a few more today.

There are a few items on my list
Shoes for my kids..DS11 wears a size 13:scared1: has flat feet, I need to keep those boats I mean shoes, to be a sturdy good kind.
Kraft mac & cheese-generic is just not the same
Bras-gotta keep the sisters happy...only Body by Victoria
Diet coke- not generic
Coffee- only Starbucks breakfast blend..I am a coffee snob. Nothing else will do
Laundry detergent- only Tide & downy & bounce.
Peanut butter- Honeynut Skippy only.
Jelly- Smuckers..it reminds me of my grandmas.
Clothes..I have 2 active boys..I need goodcanwithstandanything boys can do to them type of clothes.

Coffee. I've basically cut back dramatically on going to Starbucks, but I have to have the "gourmet" coffee from the grocery store. I like Starbucks, Seattle's Best, or Millstone. No Folgers in this house!
:surfweb:

(but I did use a coupon for my last purchase :))

daycare provider-ours is on the expensive end but I trust them completely, so I am not changing to save $.

pizza-we are pizza snobs and have certain brands (actually certain local restaurant) we always buy from. The cheap brand ain't cuttin' it with my family.

vacation-we aren't skimping on them yet...and it will be one of the last things I give up or try to do cheaply. It is that important to me and my mental health.(We aren't "luxury" Disney people, but nor are we "Disney on a Dime " either).

Something I am changing/getting cheaper on--my car. Turning in my (gas guzzling, but oh so spacious & nicely loaded) Ford Freestyle lease for a little Focus.

OK, a few ladies mentioed Bras, and I guess maybe you don't buy a brand available at a department store and wait for a sale? There are only two bras that I have found that give my breasts the right shape, but I will "stock up" when ther is a b1g1 deal at Kohl's/Macy's/L&T. I've never been in a situation where I have suddenly "run out of bras." I kind of know when they are starting to get a bit worn.

Well, for bras, I'm addicted to Chantelle and Simone Perele, I buy all of them at outlet stores (Chantelle: 40 eur instead of 60+, Simone Perele: 25 eur instead of 60+) I buy Wonderbras by the dozen whenever I'm in the US. Same with Clinique products: In Belgium they are at least 3-4 times more expensive (this of course might change if the exchange rates change).
Purses: buy only Longchamp, but at outlet store, where they are half price (still expensive enough).

Perfume/ Lancome: only buy it when you get free gifts with it (bag, free travel sizes, free body lotion, KWIM?)

Whenever there is a promotion on felinine products or shampoo or so, I stock up, I don't think I have ever ran out of anything.

Clothes: Tommy/ Ralph Lauren/ etc get bought at the US, because it's so cheap (30 USD for a polo shirt opposed to about 75 EUR for one here!) Other clothes, I try to buy as much as possible at outlet stores.

So, while I'm a brand snob in some cases, I try to be a budget brand snob :)

I wish more people felt that way. I am a daycare provider and so often the first question people ask when they call is now much do you charge, not what do you do, what do you provider, not even meeting me.

As someone who just last week called around looking for infant day care, my first questions were: 1.) do you have a part-time infant program?; 2.) how much do you charge per day?

It was just a screening question. I set up tour times from there. No use wasting my time and theirs if the daily rate was more than my take home pay!
:confused3

But I do agree with the sentiment of not scrimping where child care is concerned. I'm not happy about the price I'll be paying for my DD, but I know I'll go to work and not have to worry about her. That's priceless.

Liquor (I am too old for cheap vodka)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Diet Coke:drinking1 I drink a 2liter bottle a day! :scared: I try to get it on sale but it is the one thing I'm addicted to. Sorry no substitutions. :thumbsup2

(BTW, I only use generic TP. I can't stand the fluffy stuff) :upsidedow

My list...

my kids clothes ( Gymboree and Janie and Jack until they are out of those sizes!)

my kids shoes
toothpaste
soap ( must be Dove)
deoderant ( must be Dove as well)
feminine proucts
KOOL AID....I refuse to buy off brand ( I LOVE Kool Aid LOL)

I think what will be more interesting is to see if peoples lists remain the same a year from now, after gas has been over $3 for an entire year. I know for us, we are starting to waiver on some of those "must haves".

I haven't really changed my shopping strategies as the price of gas/food has gone up. I am a cerful shopper, using coupons and sales. I am also a stockpiler.

Things that have been changed or cut back? No more pizza delivery. It has gotten to the point that it costs more than I want to pay. If we want take-out pizza, it's either Papa Murphy's or carry out Papa John's on Tuesday, when medium pizzas are $5.99.

I haven't really changed my shopping strategies as the price of gas/food has gone up. I am a cerful shopper, using coupons and sales. I am also a stockpiler.

Things that have been changed or cut back? No more pizza delivery. It has gotten to the point that it costs more than I want to pay. If we want take-out pizza, it's either Papa Murphy's or carry out Papa John's on Tuesday, when medium pizzas are $5.99.

We used to be Pizza hut only people, now we do the Little Ceasars $5 pepporoni pizza add crazy sticks and its $8.47 out the door. Will feed all 5 of us, cant find a cheaper meal in my area. We also found that doing pick up for Chinease was way cheaper then going into the restaraunt. We can feed all of us for $13 (thats extra egg rolls and crab rangoons) but if we go in to eat it is over $30!! Well worth it to take it home.

Coca Cola (no generic Cola, ick!)
Coffee Mate flavored creamer (liquid, not powder)
Stove Top Stuffing

Allyson :)

diapers
laundry soap
soda
certain name brand food items.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter