When Will The Dining Plan Return?

I agree. More regular WDW people say it has made dining worse and narrowed selections. I also don't get the OP's "splurge with the dining plan". It's not designed to save money therefore I never considered ever buying it.
The dining plan is really a prepaid dining package. I understand the term splurge - as it makes sure you have at least one sit down meal. I know when we get the dining plan we always eat a table service dinner, without the dining plan, we interchange table service, with quick service or pizza - so while we technically save money without the dining plan, we eat better with it :dog::teeth:

I typically don't do the dining plan. the dining plan is a budgeting advantage not a cost advantage. I ran the numbers once and you basically need to use all the credits for it to make sense and I don't allways do that. I may just do a brunch instead of breakfast and lunch or grab a late dinner. I like the flexibiity of grabbing wha I want when I want. I also don't do many TS restaurans. I normally grab things as I go in between fastpasses.

I think it's a hard sell to people that the DDP is a wise financial or tactical strategy. If it's a strictly a money thing, just skip it, but I do hope it comes back as an option.

I enjoyed free dining quite a few times, but eventually got tired of having to eat so much food. Last year we skipped it in favor of room only even though it wasn't as good a discount so we could have more freedom and only eat when we actually wanted to.

I think it's a hard sell to people that the DDP is a wise financial or tactical strategy. If it's a strictly a money thing, just skip it, but I do hope it comes back as an option.

The advantage of the dining plan is you pay up-front so don't have to worry about how much your meals are going to cost while on-site. If you've paid your hotel, tickets, dining before you go then the only non-included cost for the trip is souveneirs and you don't have to worry about gettting hit with a larger then expected bill at checkout.

Like I said, I don't use it but it should be an option because it has its place from a budgetary standpoint. It's just not a cost saving device.

Alright, guys. I did the calculations. It only makes sense if were eating at a buffet every single day, which isnt going to happen. Hard pass, haha. Doesnt need to come back after all ;)
The Dining Plan is never really a good deal, unless you are planning on having at least one Character Meal AND a table service meal a day. My family managed to use it for breakfast/lunch buffets and fancy sit-down dinners during fireworks. But yes, you do tend to feel like you are a round roly-poly ball rolling from one food stop to another LOL

I don't personally guess that the plans will return until nearly all of the restaurants are open again. So, along those lines, I think we first have to have all (or most, given the work at Poly) of the resorts open as well.

The Dining Plan is never really a good deal, unless you are planning on having at least one Character Meal AND a table service meal a day. My family managed to use it for breakfast/lunch buffets and fancy sit-down dinners during fireworks. But yes, you do tend to feel like you are a round roly-poly ball rolling from one food stop to another LOL

HAHA! Yeah, I could definitely see that.

The advantage of the dining plan is you pay up-front so don't have to worry about how much your meals are going to cost while on-site. If you've paid your hotel, tickets, dining before you go then the only non-included cost for the trip is souveneirs and you don't have to worry about gettting hit with a larger then expected bill at checkout.

Like I said, I don't use it but it should be an option because it has its place from a budgetary standpoint. It's just not a cost saving device.

Well the gratuities certainly add up, but I get your point. I'm a huge fan of the DDP, but it's hard to justify it's a good financial strategy. You should do the Dining Plan if you want more of all inclusive feel. Just know you'll be counting Snack credits and stressing over things that may ruin your vacation (if you let it).

Well the gratuities certainly add up, but I get your point. I'm a huge fan of the DDP, but it's hard to justify it's a good financial strategy. You should do the Dining Plan if you want more of all inclusive feel. Just know you'll be counting Snack credits and stressing over things that may ruin your vacation (if you let it).

I do wonder how many people on the DDP don't tip or tip very little since they think it should be all inclusicve.

I do wonder how many people on the DDP don't tip or tip very little since they think it should be all inclusicve.
I’ve always wondered that too. How many servers get screwed out of tips they should be earning because people think it’s included with the DDP or don’t tip the full amount of what their food would have cost. I bet servers are not sad to see it gone for a while.

Alright, guys. I did the calculations. It only makes sense if were eating at a buffet every single day, which isnt going to happen. Hard pass, haha. Doesnt need to come back after all ;)
We've calculated it out for our past two trips and it wasn't even close to making sense. We also get a lot of appetizers which generally aren't covered by the dining plan.

I’ve always wondered that too. How many servers get screwed out of tips they should be earning because people think it’s included with the DDP or don’t tip the full amount of what their food would have cost. I bet servers are not sad to see it gone for a while.

The receipts are pretty clear and they generally leave a gratuity recommendation IRRC.

You need to make sure you get an alcoholic drink with your meal to make your money.

You get a QS burger and a coke it would cost what $15

You get that burger with a margarita it takes it up $30

You can easily make money back and and quite a bit extra if your smart.

This is exactly right. If you use the regular dining plan, which is one TS, one QS, two snacks, and 2 alcoholic drinks a day, you can EASILY get more than your moneys worth. We don't always get the DDP, because it doesn't always fit our needs for that trip, but when we do we take Disney to the bank with it :)

This is exactly right. If you use the regular dining plan, which is one TS, one QS, two snacks, and 2 alcoholic drinks a day, you can EASILY get more than your moneys worth. We don't always get the DDP, because it doesn't always fit our needs for that trip, but when we do we take Disney to the bank with it :)
Yes, but Disney also takes you to the bank with it. It’s all about Disney making sure you NEVER leave property while on your trip, that is why I bet the DDP will be back. It’s a snare. If you have the DDP, you’re next to 0% chance likely to leave property to visit UO or an outside attraction or restaurant, because you’re too focused on where your TS is going to be that day or if you have to do a QS still, or how many snacks you still need to collect but, while you’re worrying about that, and thinking that all that food is free, you’re spending much more on souvenirs and other things in the stores. So yes, they may lose a little money on the watered down drink they’re serving you with your choice of 5 entrees at a TS restaurant, but they’re making it back in bundles by you never leaving their grasp until you’re back at MCO via their transportation service.

Yes, but Disney also takes you to the bank with it. It’s all about Disney making sure you NEVER leave property while on your trip, that is why I bet the DDP will be back. It’s a snare. If you have the DDP, you’re next to 0% chance likely to leave property to visit UO or an outside attraction or restaurant, because you’re too focused on where your TS is going to be that day or if you have to do a QS still, or how many snacks you still need to collect but, while you’re worrying about that, and thinking that all that food is free, you’re spending much more on souvenirs and other things in the stores. So yes, they may lose a little money on the watered down drink they’re serving you with your choice of 5 entrees at a TS restaurant, but they’re making it back in bundles by you never leaving their grasp until you’re back at MCO via their transportation service.

Of course disney doesn't want you to leave the bubble which is why they make it so convient not to and the reason things like the airport bus exists and why they make on-site transpostation so easy. I don't think anybody has ever denied that. I am driving distance to WDW and when I go I still normally park my car and don't touch it until I leave.

We have zero interest in leaving that bubble so that works for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter