When to tell 4 yo DS

debster812

<font color=blue>DIS Earth Angel!<br><font color=0
Finally convinced DH that we NEED to go to the World in September. Booked at ASMu, and just waiting for Southwest to post flights for Sept. Big question: when do we tell DS what we are up to? As all you preschool parents know, there is little to no concept of time. I am almost tempted to not tell him anything until we get on the plane, and then just tell him we are going on 'vacation'

Advice?
Suggestions?
How have you told your kids about a trip to WDW?

Thanks

Grandma and I are taking my DS (4) in May and I am not telling him until we are at the airport (although MY excitement is making this sooo difficult!). His birthday is 4/9 and I made the mistake of saying "Wow, you're birthday is coming soon" about two weeks ago....EVERY day since (at LEAST once a day!) he asks if it's his birthday yet or is it later or is it tomorrow...is it time for the party...are my friends coming now.... Ahh!! So, I don't know what others will say, but my birthday mention mistake has taught me a lesson! I'm telling him AT the airport - and even then only if he asks!!

I wouldn't say one word til just right before you enter the Disney resort area!! The look on your little one's face will be absolutely priceless!! If they ask, just tell them that mommy and daddy are visiting some "special friends" in Orlando. Hey....Tigger, Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, and all those other characters are pretty special in my eyes!! :D

IT'S ALL ABOUT DISNEY!!

REMEMBER THE MAGIC!!!
TTFN...TA TA FOR NOW

OFFSITE-MARCH 87
SoG-MAY 98
SoG-JUNE 00
ASMu-MAY 01

We told our daughter about a month or two ahead of time and then made up a paper chain for her tol pull off a link every night. We also let her earn Disney Dollars for special things so that on vacation she had her very own money she had earned and she could spend it on whatever she wanted. We're going back in Dec. and won't tell her until next fall sometime. She'll be 5 in Nov. I was thinking of wrapping the paper chain in a birthday box for her.

1993 - Off Site
01/27/01 - YC - 7 days
02/03/01 - 7 day Magic Cruise
Next WDW trip Dec. 2001

My kids (4 and 2) are very curious, and will ask me where we are going every two minutes. So, I could never keep it a secret until the airport. Also, I don't think it would be fair to them at their ages to not tell them where we are going. They are still young, and need that security of knowing what's going on, etc. so I'd probably wait until they were older to surprise them in that way. But, for older kids, I think surprising them at the airport is great!!

14a.gif

'84-Offsite
'95-DxL
'97-WL
'00-PO
'01-DxL
'02-DVC??

We told our DD (3 1/2) about 4-5 months ago. We are trying to prep her to not be scared about anything and to be willing to try Splash Mountain. She will be turning 4 while we are there. Lately, though, she's been talking about it a little too much. We decided we should probably back off on the 'prep' work and be a little more casual about it. But it's so hard!!! I like the ad on TV where the kids are too excited to sleep (and so are the parents).

TTFN
Cameo

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Although the consensus is a bit mixed, I think everyone agrees that NOW would be too soon! I can barely contain myself, and we will see how it goes. Thanks again, and as the trip gets closer I am sure I will be looking for all kinds of info.

My kids are now 8 and 5 and we have been going to WDW for 3 years now. And now they know we are going, but may not know when. Each child has their own calendar that hangs in their room. My oldest likes to put stickers on her calendar, as does my younger one. The mark important dates and what could be more important than Disney? The younger one then marks off days as they happen, before he goes to sleep.

About 2 months before we travel we start some sort of awards program where they can earn money for spending money. I usually match what they earn.

They have known about our return trip in July since the beginning of last school year because it's in conjunction with a dance competition and I rarely even get the "how long till" quesiton anymore. The calendars work great!

HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest