When ROFR is a relief...

Her Dotness

DIS Veteran
Early this year, we decided to bid on an OKW resale primarily for SAP. We like the looks and feel of the resort but haven't ever stayed there, largely because we prefer the monorail resorts. Well, truth be told, we prefer only one monorail resort, VGF/GF.

We'd been (actually DH had been ;) ) looking regularly for a 100-150 pt. VGF contract for a couple years, but either there were none with our UY or they were too pricey.

Because it was a 2042, I kept saying the OKW was gonna get ROFRd and DH, glass-half-full guy, said maybe not, not all of them were.

It did, and we realized we felt relieved because we actually didn't want that many points at another resort and hadn't adequately considered the impact of OKW's higher dues.

I like to think the Fates were hinting that we should have waited a bit longer, because a VGF 150 showed up a few weeks later. We got what we really wanted for somewhat less than the new on-sale price.

Sometimes, ROFR spares you from what you realize was a mistake and spurs you to keep trying for the resort you really want.

What's your ROFR relief story?

We had similar story. We wanted more points and wanted to add 100. We saw the $180-185 poly prices and decided to go SSR for lower price and dues, hoping to book poly with them. We have never had trouble in the past getting it with our OKW points. So we went for it and it got ROFR’d at $138. In that time poly had come down some and I was seeing offers going through much lower. So we decided to go for it and offered $160 and they took it. So for a difference of $2200 we got our favorite resort. So much happier

The only one I ever had taken was the first VGF contract I tried to buy.

It was an absolutely screamin’ deal, 50 points at like $136 per point. In hindsight, it never had a chance of passing ROFR. But back then I knew nothing.

In the end, I’ll say I’m glad it was taken anyway.

It was a different use year than the April one I ended up with, and that UY wouldn’t have worked out nearly as well for us.

Plus, just after VGF went into active sales again, I managed to find an April UY contract that I locked down at $144 per point which is perfect for us! We probably wouldn’t have even made an offer on it if we didn’t have the April UY, so it all worked out in the end.

I totally appreciate your post and question! Back in February, we decided we needed more points (like most of us 🤣) and thought re-sale might be the way to go (it was our first time trying re-sale, as our first two contracts were direct) and figured it would be more cost effective. Because I was such a newbie, we thought an SS contract for 150 points would be great--super low asking price and low maintenance fees. While I was excited at the prospect of the additional SAPs, my heart is really at the VGF/GF (like you). One of my direct contracts is there and it's never enough points but I hesitated to spend more on the higher cost of the contract. We waited in ROFR for 46 days before the SS contract was taken and honestly, I was so thrilled because I literally used the 46 days to question and to ask myself what I really wanted. The day the contract was taken, I offered on a decently priced (ok maybe a little high, but still less than direct) GF contract and the points were in my account a couple months later. Totally worth it and I am really HAPPY about the fateful intervention. Nothing beats owning at the resort you love most with a nice stack of points and an 11 month booking window. 💜

... (it was our first time trying re-sale, as our first two contracts were direct) and figured it would be more cost effective.
This is us exactly, numberwise, as our first 2 were VGF.
Totally worth it and I am really HAPPY about the fateful intervention. Nothing beats owning at the resort you love most with a nice stack of points and an 11 month booking window. 💜
We were happy once that lovely VGF resale showed up. Until then, it was <heavy sighs> "Back to the resale listings."

Having added a small BWV resale a couple months ago for single-night SAP, DH says no more points. And I keep adding, "For now..." ;)

I was trying to buy some BLT points and two contracts got ROFRd before I finally got one. I recently picked up another contract as well.

We had similar story. We wanted more points and wanted to add 100. We saw the $180-185 poly prices and decided to go SSR for lower price and dues, hoping to book poly with them. We have never had trouble in the past getting it with our OKW points. So we went for it and it got ROFR’d at $138. In that time poly had come down some and I was seeing offers going through much lower. So we decided to go for it and offered $160 and they took it. So for a difference of $2200 we got our favorite resort. So much happier
After looking on a daily basis for months at all of the different resale sites and heavily favoring the cheaper points resorts ( Aluani, OKW, SSR, AKL) just to have points, we decided to make an offer at BWV which was accepted last night. When it comes down to it, you will be much happier to get the home resort of your dreams and spend a little extra. Determined to make the most of the next 19 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!