When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the border will open too. In August, the closure extension was announced on Aug. 14th, so hopefully we hear something soon. My American friends don't believe the border will be extended.

but it’s not really up the the Americans. Right now we have an agreemenr that goes both ways. But if the US wants it open and starts letting Canadians in, Canada can still refuse American tourists. And if you listen to the tone of the government today and how concerned they are about cases going up, they are not going to open the border now and make things even worse.

I caught the tail end of a news story the other night that stated the US president has increasing pressure to reopen the border. Wish I'd been paying more attention, oops. Anyway, as someone already stated, even if the US opens up to us (land crossing) does not mean Canada will reciprocate. August 14th was the last announcement for an extension so we should be hearing very soon, though I know the PM is at his cabinet retreat (not sure how long that is on for but I believe just a couple of days?) so we might not hear until he is back from that.

Over the course of the last couple of months, we have been speaking with many real estate agents in the Sarasota, Florida area. Apparently, there are many Canadians that "snow bird" typically for a few winter months on the Sarasota coast typically, places like Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, Lido Key but many owners and snow bird tenants have been scrambling to figure out what to do.
Hope that the situation improves soon! ::yes::

Over the course of the last couple of months, we have been speaking with many real estate agents in the Sarasota, Florida area. Apparently, there are many Canadians that "snow bird" typically for a few winter months on the Sarasota coast typically, places like Siesta Key, Longboat Key, Anna Maria Island, Lido Key but many owners and snow bird tenants have been scrambling to figure out what to do.
Love that area was there yesterday in Sarasota. I imagine some Canadians will be over cautious and stay home. Others will be like us and realize or come to see that what’s being told to them by CTV and pushed be certain people in Canada is largely overblown and not in the proper prospective and a way of controlling the population. I feel safer with more controls in place than I did in Ontario.

Love that area was there yesterday in Sarasota. I imagine some Canadians will be over cautious and stay home. Others will be like us and realize or come to see that what’s being told to them by CTV and pushed be certain people in Canada is largely overblown and not in the proper prospective and a way of controlling the population. I feel safer with more controls in place than I did in Ontario.

White Cat
Can you elaborate on what controls are in place that make you feel safer?
What would you suggest is the proper perspective,,and what do you think Canadians are being told by CTV.?
Canadians are quite an educated, independent and thoughtful group of people ,,,no control here!

Mel

Last edited:
I think a lot of Canadians, especially snowbirds will be cautious depending on if they are in high risk, if they have a family member that's high risk, and if they can get medical insurance. Insurance will be a big deciding factor for people going to the states or anywhere else. I hope anyways. Because I certainly don't want to hear their whining or the stupid news stories of how they were stuck somewhere and the government didn't help, or their insurance didn't pay, when they chose to travel during a pandemic.

I can't see the border reopening any time soon. Case counts are still high in the USA. Why would we open it now?
Until they get the virus spread under control, I feel the border will stay closed.
Besides, who can quarantine for 2 weeks after a vacation, and travel health insurance may be a problem for Canadians.
My inlaws, who are snowbirds, are not going to Florida for the winter for the first time in years.

I don’t know what you think we are being told. And we aren’t being “controlled”. I will be careful here so I don’t get accused of getting “political”. But let’s just say there is good reason 80% of Canadians want the border to remain closed. And it’s not because we are being “controlled”, and I’m sure we would still have this view even if we never watched Canadian media 🙄

By situation improving I hope you are referring to the US getting things under control. Yes I hope that improves too.

Border should not open until it is under control and taken a little more seriously

My DSis and her hubby are still playing “the wait and see” game, hoping that things get better so they can get to their winter home in Florida. But, the absence of affordable out of country travel insurance for snowbirds (for close to a six month period) makes it impossible right now. That’s the real deal-breaker for retirees. Nobody wants that kind of a financial risk.

This is the attitude of a person who comes back to Canada and doesn't bother to quarantine because, hey, it's an overblown story. I highly doubt it's to control the population, it's to control a virus. Period.
I'm glad you feel comfortable in a country that can't control this but lets let the horse finish the race before declaring a winner. Make it back, do your quarantine and then go ahead and brag about how much better things are in the US. Then, only then, will I take any of this into account.
And lets keep the borders closed until the mess on the other side of the fence gets under control.

This is the attitude of a person who comes back to Canada and doesn't bother to quarantine because, hey, it's an overblown story. I highly doubt it's to control the population, it's to control a virus. Period.
I'm glad you feel comfortable in a country that can't control this but lets let the horse finish the race before declaring a winner. Make it back, do your quarantine and then go ahead and brag about how much better things are in the US. Then, only then, will I take any of this into account.
And lets keep the borders closed until the mess on the other side of the fence gets under control.

yep. And these attitudes are why I wish they would get a lot tougher and give our huge fines for people that don’t follow the quarantine.

I've recently learned that some of my closest friends (all retired, well read, and well educated Canadians) believe that Coronavirus is basically a hoax. Their logic is: there are very few cases in Canada, therefore our precautions are unnecessary. They don't accept my counterargument that there are very few cases in Canada because we are taking precautions.

I have also learned that my friends have views on topics like immigration, race relations, etc. which are offensive to me (similar to the views of a certain person who I won't name). I'm amazed that there are people I've known for well over forty years who I apparently didn't know at all.

Sadly, it is more accurate to call these people my "ex-friends", since I'm in the process of gradually and delicately extricating them from my life.

There seem to be more and more protests recently in Canada, where Canadians are complaining about our coronavirus precautions.

I've recently learned that some of my closest friends (all retired, well read, and well educated Canadians) believe that Coronavirus is basically a hoax. Their logic is: there are very few cases in Canada, therefore our precautions are unnecessary. They don't accept my counterargument that there are very few cases in Canada because we are taking precautions.

I have also learned that my friends have views on topics like immigration, race relations, etc. which are offensive to me (similar to the views of a certain person who I won't name). I'm amazed that there are people I've known for close to fifty years who I apparently didn't know at all.

Sadly, it is more accurate to call these people my "ex-friends", since I'm in the process of gradually and delicately extricating them from my life.

There seem to be more and more protests recently in Canada, where Canadians are complaining about our coronavirus precautions.

I don’t get this logic either. Canada, many precautions, low cases. All they have to do is then compare to the US, in many places (not all) few precautions, high cases and deaths (almost 200,000). It doesn’t take a genius to see how precautions make a difference 🙄

I too have also said goodbye to several “friends” and distanced myself from a couple family members.

Simple then, stay in a bunker till it’s safe for you, no need to Travel..that’s your decision and right, not right for everyone though

Last edited:
My DSis and her hubby are still playing “the wait and see” game, hoping that things get better so they can get to their winter home in Florida. But, the absence of affordable out of country travel insurance for snowbirds (for close to a six month period) makes it impossible right now. That’s the real deal-breaker for retirees. Nobody wants that kind of a financial risk.
Hopefully folks in the future will be able to obtain travel insurance and escape the bitter cold!

Simple then, stay in a bunker till it’s safe for you, no need to Travel..that’s your decision and right, nor right for everyone though
First of all at no time did I say no one should travel. I actually said I was glad they felt comfortable in a country that couldn't control the virus. I would not go to the US myself as they are not doing a good job IMO but didn't tell anyone else not to go there.
Second of all, where did I mention staying in a bunker? I feel fine traveling within my country, we are doing a great job. We have protocols in place that keeps our numbers low. Canada is pretty big, bigger than a bunker.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I will return the favor.

Yesterday, a researcher who conducts research on people who believe Covid-19 is a hoax/conspiracy and is part of an international team, said that 18% of Canadians believe in them. What blew my mind is that we have one of the lowest percentage. American are at 38%! Lots of entitled Covidiots out there who will put their vacation needs over everything else.

My parents are snowbirds (they own a house in Quebec city and a condo in Fort Lauderdale) and usually leave Canada after Halloween and return after Easter. My dad is high risk and while he’s not afraid of Covid-19 and probably should take more precautions, he’s also a nurse by training (first cohort obtaining a B.Sc.N in QC) and he decided to buy snow tires for the first time in over 10 years and stay in Canada this winter. Even if he can get insurance that covers Covid-19 in the USA, they are not going. His reasoning, and I agree, is that come late fall, the number of at-risk individuals in FL (aka. retirees) will skyrocket and with FL current numbers, chances are the ICUs will get full pretty quickly. So even if chances of getting Covid-19 can be low if taking precautions, what if you need an ICU bed for another reason like a heart attack but they are full?!? My grandfather died in FL from a stroke after spending a few days at the ICU and my aunt got hospitalized in FL for a heart attack so not an unreasonable assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter