When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love that area was there yesterday in Sarasota. I imagine some Canadians will be over cautious and stay home. Others will be like us and realize or come to see that what’s being told to them by CTV and pushed be certain people in Canada is largely overblown and not in the proper prospective and a way of controlling the population. I feel safer with more controls in place than I did in Ontario.
And some Canadians rely on science and a sense of social responsibility to make their decisions.

Yes we’re lucky living in Lotus Land!

Back in the early 1970s, Weekend Magazine had a weekly contest, where readers were encouraged to compose and submit limericks about a different city each week. I still remember the winning entry about Vancouver:

It rains too much in Vancouver.
It rains in Vancouver.
It rains in Vancouver.

I've only stayed overnight in Vancouver once (in January 2018 when we flew there for my daughter's Disney interview) and it rained non-stop the entire 36 hours we were there. But still preferable to Edmonton snow and ice, I must admit.

What do you think the chances are of the border being open by the end of November? We have a rescheduled trip planned then, but I'm not going if the border is still closed and 14 day quarantine is still mandatory.

What do you think the chances are of the border being open by the end of November? We have a rescheduled trip planned then, but I'm not going if the border is still closed and 14 day quarantine is still mandatory.

Even if the border re-opens Oct 22 (would be surprising), I’m not expecting the 14-day mandatory quarantine to be lifted for a very long time. In fact, I wish we were more strict on quarantines and isolations with more checks and maybe mandatory tracking (only for the quarantine period obviously).

Even if the border re-opens Oct 22 (would be surprising), I’m not expecting the 14-day mandatory quarantine to be lifted for a very long time. In fact, I wish we were more strict on quarantines and isolations with more checks and maybe mandatory tracking (only for the quarantine period obviously).
I hear you, I'm just wishing on a star.
Honestly, when we first went into lockdown, I never in my wildest dreams thought we would still be in the thick of it at this point. I thought for sure we would have a handle on it by now.
I guess I will keep hoping.

Honestly, when we first went into lockdown, I never in my wildest dreams thought we would still be in the thick of it at this point. I thought for sure we would have a handle on it by now.

Yes, how times change. In March, I assured my daughter that covid would be under control in two months time, and that she would fly to Orlando as scheduled in mid-May for her summer job at Disney World. The way things stand now, I think there is a good chance that Disney won't be hiring any university students at all in 2021, not even American students, since it will take at least another year for all furloughed permanent Disney employees to be called back to work.

After writing the above paragraph, I thought I'd do a quick google search to see if I could find any Disney communications with employees, and found the following email Disney sent to furloughed employees in mid-August. Not very encouraging:

“When we initially notified you of your furlough, we could not have anticipated that it could exceed six months. However, due to business circumstances that were not reasonably foreseeable at the time and given the unprecedented and ongoing nature of the pandemic and its impact on our businesses, we regret to inform you that we now reasonably expect your furlough could extend beyond six months from your initial furlough date. We hope that our businesses will be back up and running and that your furlough will remain temporary, but the evolving and unpredictable nature of the pandemic creates uncertainty.”

And be sure you have good winter boots too! Always excepting those fortunate souls who live in Lotus Land (and maybe around parts of Niagara too).

Back in the early 1970s, Weekend Magazine had a weekly contest, where readers were encouraged to compose and submit limericks about a different city each week. I still remember the winning entry about Vancouver:

It rains in Vancouver.
It rains in Vancouver.

I've only stayed overnight in Vancouver once (in January 2018 when we flew there for my daughter's Disney interview) and it rained non-stop the entire 36 hours we were there. But still preferable to Edmonton snow and ice, I must admit.

It does rain lots in Vancouver. Vancouver weather depresses me. Here in Victoria we are protected by a rain shadow (Olympic mountains), and we don't even get half the rain Vancouver does. Victoria has much better weather.

We kind of do have a handle on it - the US on the other hand...

I totally understand that. I honesty think our brains accept big changes in smaller increments rather than all at once. I know I came to each realization by degrees. I would realize “hey this means maybe no travel this year “ or “ wow, maybe the kids can’t go back to school this Spring” and then be really down about it for a day or two. Then I move on. I think if you had told me back in March all at once what was going to change it would have been so hard to digest.
Even now I’m expecting some return to normalcy later in 2021. And if we can’t travel freely by then.. well, Im not ready to think about it yet.

Not gonna happen. I’ve read reports that they are looking to at least after Christmas. You absolutely won’t see the quarantine lifted by then.

Now that the retreat is wrapped up I'm assuming the 'official' announcement (though we all know it will be Oct 21 at least) will come out tomorrow.

Not gonna happen. I’ve read reports that they are looking to at least after Christmas. You absolutely won’t see the quarantine lifted by then.
Yep, my money (ok, a whole 2 cents worth :rotfl2: ) is on the border opening/quarantine lifted by January 21 2021....:confused3

And then when they comeback we have to go through this lockdown all again. Assuming that the Southern States are still in a mess at that time.

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/b...c-travel-plan-insurance-will-be-available-oct
Coming this October, the Manulife COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan will be available to Canadians travelling in Canada and internationally, including to countries with a Level 3 Travel Advisory.

Interesting...

Not quite the panacea we were all hoping for and I hope that those I’m seeing on social media who are excited about this actually read the fine print, as Covid coverage under the policy apparently maxes out at $200k.

Since I’m sure no one would ever decide to lie and say they’re healthy in order to fly back to Canada once they’re experiencing Covid symptoms down south, $200k isn’t going to go very far if medical intervention is required.

As much as my family and I want to head back to Disney, we’re not willing to gamble everything we’ve worked for our entire lives on the hope that one of us won’t need to be hospitalized. Yes, odds are that we’d probably be fine, but for us, no vacation is worth the worry of losing our home and retirement to medical bills if the worst happened.

Interesting email I received from Air Canada just now .... Looks like they're including the new Manulife Insurance with round trip international flights until Oct 31st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter