Wheelchair Recommendation

xipetotec

DIS Veteran
Hi all, so my wife suffered an injury in 2010 and since then any vacations/trips we've taken have been with a wheelchair. Started with rentals/borrows from our destination. Eventually got our own. She's been using a blue lightning for years now. We've been on many trips with it, mostly Disney, but we even bumped through Mayan ruins with it. It's not bad for a relatively inexpensive chair. and it's light and easy to fold.

Thing is, she's been finding it not the most comfortable. For one thing, it's a little too short. She feels like her knees are too high when her feet are on the footrests. she finds that when pushing herself, it really strains her arms to get around the arm rests ( which CAN be raised, but anyway, I guess it's more about the comfort and convenience ).

So we're looking for something new. But I have no idea how to start. there are just SO many options out there. and there are a few local shops obviously that cater to mobility devices. But they seem to have a limited selection ( presumably whoever they have contracts with I guess ). and I'm not sure I know the first thing about PROPERLY selecting a wheelchair.

Her injury gives her reduced mobility, but she can walk, transfer to rides, etc.

Right now, the one she has has two large wheels at the back, two small at the front. Definitely don't want the kind with all small wheels. She needs/wants to be able to push herself. For it to be foldable so we can stow it on busses like we've been doing with the blue lightning. Height adjustment would be nice, if that's a thing. ( otherwise, obviously we may need to be mindful of floor to seat height when purchasing ). Width has also been a problem on some of the loaners... we once got a fairly wide one that made it difficult for her to push herself. fatter tires might be a nice thing. The tires on this one are okay ( as in durable ) but they seem to be a hard plastic so she basically feels every dump. She considered a "sports" one like athletes use. but her injury is in her back, and I would think she'd get exhausted not having much of a back rest ( but again... what do I know? maybe that's good? ). I know this is all very vague, just trying to get a better idea...

I'd get a referral to an Occupational Therapist or a Physical Therapist to see if she can get her insurance to pay for a fitted wheelchair. They can go over the options with her and help choose the best chair. Just an FYI, most people I know who do this have had terrible experiences with NuMotion. They may be fine in your area but if you have a choice it might be best to avoid them.

I'd get a referral to an Occupational Therapist or a Physical Therapist to see if she can get her insurance to pay for a fitted wheelchair. They can go over the options with her and help choose the best chair. Just an FYI, most people I know who do this have had terrible experiences with NuMotion. They may be fine in your area but if you have a choice it might be best to avoid them.

This is just what I was going to say. They will fit a chair to her, and it will be built so it’s easier on her shoulders than one you can just buy. I think you’ll find your trips much more enjoyable if you do get a referral for one.

Okay cool, she did see an occupational therapist when she first got injured 10 years ago, but I guess back then she was just starting to come to the realization that walking vacations were not going to be easy and so never got them to do this for her. She's mostly been working with Physio and/or Ostheo since then. But that OT is still at that same clinic. So we'll see about getting that taken care of .

thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter