Wheelchair dependent adult diaper change

bdarling

Mouseketeer
My son has CP, feeding tube, trach and cannot do any self care. He loves to be around people, music and motion, so I have planned this trip for when he is done with public school at age 22 and his sister is heading to college. I am very excited for this slower, non thrill ride trip.

Last time I took my son to WDW he weighed 40 pounds less, so we could manage a diaper change with only one person if we went to first aid. It was with a bigger group, so it was good only one caregiver had to do that, while the rest kept on the rides. Plus post change, the caregiver always grabbed FP or two for a ride with my son’s ticket - oh the old paper FP you could pile up to ride at night!

I am planning on using the first aid stations for diaper changes and making sure we check when at those central locations. Is there any chance first aid has a hoyer lift? If not, all of us will be detoured for multiple hands in lifting to the medical table there. It is a party of 2 adults, one adult with autism, and my son in a wheelchair, so we all would need to stay together.

We use pretty heavy duty incontinence products, but thinking about a BM change. One of the medical rental places rents hoyer lifts, so we are getting one for the room.

So my 2 questions are - is first aid the only place that has a changing station large enough for an adult? And do they have a lift?

Yes first aid would be your best bet and I do not believe they have a lift there. You might want to try to email Disney and make sure but I do not think they do

First Aid in each park would be the only places with cots big enough for an adult.

I don’t know whether they have lifts, but I’m trying to find out for you.

We use First Aid multiple times each trip, but it’s for giving medications or doing my daughter’s catheter. So, I specifically tell them I don’t need to transfer her.

I DO know they have adjustable height cots in some of the First Aid rooms. I don’t know if that would help you, but I know some people are able to do a fairly easy transfer by setting the cot the same height as the wheelchair seat.

You may also want to look into Disney’s Disability Access Service (DAS) which replaced their disability services. DAS allows guests to wait outside of the regular lines if their disability prevents them from waiting in line.
You still wait - just not in the line. This thread has more info. The first post is up to date information, but the other posts are from when DAS first started (so not up to date):

https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Disability Access Service would be appropriate for someone who often, unpredictably, and suddenly needs to leave a ride line to go to the rest room although I am not sure that DAS would be routinely given for that purpose. Worth asking for, at Guest Relations.

If granted, DAS is flexible enough to let you take DS to the first aid center. He would not return to the spot in the line he vacated but instead would use a different entrance to the ride when the DAS return time came. Strict punctuality not enforced.

Last edited:
I got a reply from a very reliable source.
First Aid does not have lifts at any locations.

They do have the fully adjustable beds that I described; hopefully, you can figure out a way that can work for you.

Adjustable beds make it easier, so that is good to know. Thanks for checking.

I will ask about the DAS. He has a tracheotomy tube, and I don’t like to suction him in a crowd like a line because it is body fluids, so we will ask. The autistic adult in our party may ask for DAS to avoid too much impatient behaviors in the line. We could get two because we will not always be together.

I am not planning rides for my son that require wheelchair transfer. The link in the first page to wheelchair accessible rides is no longer valid to Disney’s site. I will look for it direct on the Disney site. I am thing Toy Story, Small World, Nemo, Turtle Talk, and a few others I can’t recall, and all the shows and parades. Should be doable without the DAS and using FPS,.

Adjustable beds make it easier, so that is good to know. Thanks for checking.

I will ask about the DAS. He has a tracheotomy tube, and I don’t like to suction him in a crowd like a line because it is body fluids, so we will ask. The autistic adult in our party may ask for DAS to avoid too much impatient behaviors in the line. We could get two because we will not always be together.

I am not planning rides for my son that require wheelchair transfer. The link in the first page to wheelchair accessible rides is no longer valid to Disney’s site. I will look for it direct on the Disney site. I am thing Toy Story, Small World, Nemo, Turtle Talk, and a few others I can’t recall, and all the shows and parades. Should be doable without the DAS and using FPS,.
Could you explain what you mean? I’m guessing it is probably post 11 - there are more complete lists on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs - I might just remove post 11.

We go to WDW with a child using a wheelchair twice a year and I try to update after each trip. If I missed updating something, I would like to fix it.

Toy Story Mania, Nemo, Small World all have wheelchair accessible ride car.

Turtle Talk is a show - all shows have wheelchair seating.

I was looking in the section that has links to text versions of the list of rides. It is page 3 of a post in the top section. I didn’t click on everything but the 3 or 4 i tried in the text version didn’t work. I read most of the posts but didn’t click on too much. I was interested in that ride list so clicked.

It must be a lot to keep up as a volunteer.

I found the Guests with Disabilities page on the WDW site and it had links to the guides for each park with the maps and symbols for accessibility and other disability issues like sound, fireworks, etc. so I found the info and your other pages probably have links too.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/
I will revisit the top pages for further info from experienced folks not just the Disney version.

Yes - they sometimes change their links, which means the ones we have listed don’t work any more.
I did go thru quick and remove some attractions that are gone that I thought had already been removed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter