What's your rack rate?

What's even funnier is my clueless DH. I told him about this thread and that I had just calculated rack rates for our October trip. I told him to guess the cost and I told him to guess high. His answer? $3000.00! :rotfl2: Even the dues on the points used are $7076.16. :rotfl:

What's even funnier is my clueless DH. I told him about this thread and that I had just calculated rack rates for our October trip. I told him to guess the cost and I told him to guess high. His answer? $3000.00! :rotfl2: Even the dues on the points used are $7076.16. :rotfl:

Ouch!

Nov 5-12 stay in 2BR Std View at Kidani = 229 points.

I called today to ask about adding on additional night 11/4 = 38 points or cash price of about $550. So if I assume same $550x7=$3850+taxes. But I believe that is a discount of some type as when I look around online seems to be at least $800/night for the 2BR units in Nov. (ie travelocity shows 2BR savannah view for this same week at $6685.86 total)

No matter which way I look at it DVC is much cheaper at about $1400 for those 229 points (initial cost + 2011 dues per point).

But even more valuable is that now we actually go on vacation regularly instead of putting it off due to expense!

ps - I ended up adding on 2 regular rooms over at All-Stars for the night for $237.30 as we will arrive so late & then just move over when the villa is ready. Had I done this for the full week = $1661 and there may/may not be some type of free dining available, but we really prefer having the full 2 BR unit with the 4 kids. 2 smaller hotel rooms for a week would just not be a great vacation for us.

Out of curiosity we've been keeping a running total of the rack rates for every trip since we joined in 2004. So far we've stayed 118 nights on our DVC points, the rack rate for those nights, tax included, is $78,311. Interestingly, our total costs for our points and yearly maintenance fees so far comes to $69,386, about a 12% discount to the rack rate, I figure once we reach 25% discount to rack rate I would safely assume we've reached the break even point, which should be in the next couple of years.

It's hard to factor in the quality of the accommodations, I probably would have never paid cash to stay at a Boardwalk or Old Key West grand villa, both great experiences with extended family using our DVC points.

My trips this year alone: (1) 4 nights Studio STD view $455/nt May 30-June 3 + 12.5% room tax=$2047.50 (2) 4 nights 1Br BLT Lakeview $565/nt November 14-18 + 12.5% room tax=$2542.50 Grand total=$4590 :woohoo: for DVC. That's 23% of my purchase price for DVC in one year.

It's amazing how much we save by being members! We did pay rack rate twice back in the 90's. We must have been nuts!!

for a DVC accomodation but I wanted to really bad after I took a bus to Old Key West and wandered the property. Before I bought in I calculated the cost per point based on the purchase price plus maintainence fees and it came to about $6.50 a point (I assumed increses in fees) then multiplied it times the number of points needed for a five night stay (Sun-Thurs) @55 points and it came to $357. This was far less than even the values and I get to stay is accomodations that are so much larger and nice! We get to spend 4 5 night trips to the world every year in the Studios of two full weeks in a one bedroom.

We love our DVC!!

Our rack rate for our stay in a 2 bedroom at the GCV would have been $7,500. :faint:

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest