What's your favorite ride that no longer exists?

This thread made me nostalgic, so I went to look up some of the pov footage of the old rides. While watching an old Horizons video I read this comment, and it seemed so apt, that I thought I'd share. " I'm glad the future is always moving forward, but I really miss the way we used to see it."

so moving on to DHS - or MGM as we still call it within our family..
so many things, let's see if i manage to remember all the things we loved - again i'm going to leave out the ones we didn't like...

- Hunchback of Notre Dame - we miss this one intensely....we always saw this multiple times every visit to WDW...we sometimes would just pop into MGM just to see hunchback and pop out again...this was BRILLIANT!!! the staging was amazing....the acting and singing broadway quality....funny thing is, i hated the movie, but LOVED this production....i wish they'd bring this back...

- Spirit of Pocohontas - this preceded hunchback....another movie that i didn't like that was turned into a nice stage show at MGM....i loved hunchback a lot more, but this one was also good!!

- Magic of Disney Animation - i so miss this one....being able to watch the animators at work was the coolest thing, while Robin and Walter narrated overhead....and meeting with a real live animator was so interesting.....

- Back to Neverland - starring Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite - the movie preshow to the magic of disney animation....i loved this one....i also like the one that followed it with Mushu, but the robin and walter movie was my favorite

- Backlot Studio Tour - we loved all parts of this, including the backlot driving tour and Catastrophe Canyon and the Backstage Pass walking tour...

- Pixar Pals Parade - "I don't want to work, i just want to ..." - we really loved this parade... we wanted to jump up and dance with this one..
there were many different MGM parades, but this was my all time favorite.....we also like the Aladdin Royal Caravan Parade, but the Pixar Pals is by far our favorite!!

- Monster Sound Show, ABC Sound Studio, Sounds Dangerous- DD was picked for this one one time...definitely enjoyable to watch and learn about foley sounds - and we always enjoyed playing with the stuff in the lobby (my favorite was doing the voices for snow white..."apple")..we liked all the versions of this one...the original and the two that followed..

- Superstar television - i never participated in any of the scenes but we loved this attraction...

- Doug: Live - we enjoyed this replacement of superstar television....

- Who Wants to be a Millionaire - this was a lot of fun and you got to play along as the participants were chosen..so that was fun as well...

- The legend of captain jack sparrow - a little attraction that was very cool!

i think that's everything that's no longer at MGM that i loved...yes i know i've left some things out. That was on purpose. I totally hated lights motors blech blech....i hated hated hated it and hated it even more since they ended hunchback because of it...

so moving on to DHS - or MGM as we still call it within our family..
so many things, let's see if i manage to remember all the things we loved - again i'm going to leave out the ones we didn't like...

- Hunchback of Notre Dame - we miss this one intensely....we always saw this multiple times every visit to WDW...we sometimes would just pop into MGM just to see hunchback and pop out again...this was BRILLIANT!!! the staging was amazing....the acting and singing broadway quality....funny thing is, i hated the movie, but LOVED this production....i wish they'd bring this back...

- Spirit of Pocohontas - this preceded hunchback....another movie that i didn't like that was turned into a nice stage show at MGM....i loved hunchback a lot more, but this one was also good!!

- Magic of Disney Animation - i so miss this one....being able to watch the animators at work was the coolest thing, while Robin and Walter narrated overhead....and meeting with a real live animator was so interesting.....

- Back to Neverland - starring Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite - the movie preshow to the magic of disney animation....i loved this one....i also like the one that followed it with Mushu, but the robin and walter movie was my favorite

- Backlot Studio Tour - we loved all parts of this, including the backlot driving tour and Catastrophe Canyon and the Backstage Pass walking tour...

- Pixar Pals Parade - "I don't want to work, i just want to ..." - we really loved this parade... we wanted to jump up and dance with this one..
there were many different MGM parades, but this was my all time favorite.....we also like the Aladdin Royal Caravan Parade, but the Pixar Pals is by far our favorite!!

- Monster Sound Show, ABC Sound Studio, Sounds Dangerous- DD was picked for this one one time...definitely enjoyable to watch and learn about foley sounds - and we always enjoyed playing with the stuff in the lobby (my favorite was doing the voices for snow white..."apple")..we liked all the versions of this one...the original and the two that followed..

- Superstar television - i never participated in any of the scenes but we loved this attraction...

- Doug: Live - we enjoyed this replacement of superstar television....

- Who Wants to be a Millionaire - this was a lot of fun and you got to play along as the participants were chosen..so that was fun as well...

- The legend of captain jack sparrow - a little attraction that was very cool!

i think that's everything that's no longer at MGM that i loved...yes i know i've left some things out. That was on purpose. I totally hated lights motors blech blech....i hated hated hated it and hated it even more since they ended hunchback because of it...

OMG!!!!!!!!
i can't believe i wrote this whole long post and left out MULCH, SWEAT AND SHEERS??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
we LOVED them....we would try to see every performance of theirs while we were at the studios...
can't believe disney got rid of them...
they could have been moved to another part of the park....they didn't have to be on the streets of america...

The original Journey, and Horizons.
These are mine too. I'm also still pretty bummed about Maelstrom so I guess I miss Epcot in the late 90's!! I'm just happy for the wonderful memories my daughter and I have from riding those rides when she was little. No one can take those away and now we have fun riding through Journey with our eyes closed trying to figure out where we are in the ride and saying "but what about science?" over and over as we come down the final straightaway before the end of the ride. We are a little silly!

I also preferred the Illuminations show just before the mellenium. The nations used to light up one by one to say goodnight and the music changed to represent each one. I remember seeing it that way the first two times I came to Disney then skipping a year to go on a cruise. When we came back the show was completely different. I love it but I loved the earlier one more.

These are mine too. I'm also still pretty bummed about Maelstrom so I guess I miss Epcot in the late 90's!! I'm just happy for the wonderful memories my daughter and I have from riding those rides when she was little. No one can take those away and now we have fun riding through Journey with our eyes closed trying to figure out where we are in the ride and saying "but what about science?" over and over as we come down the final straightaway before the end of the ride. We are a little silly!

Yes, EPCOT from the 90's :lovestruc Sadly, Journey isn't even a shadow of it's former glory, with literally nearly half of the ride path gone, and the entirety of the upstairs closed. I have the soundtrack from the original Journey on my car stereo, and listen to it frequently! Maelstrom, I miss the fishing village at the end of it believe it or not, though I do like the Frozen overlay. When the animatronics are working, they are amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter