• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's your favorite ride that no longer exists?

Mickeymouseisking

Some imagination, huh?
For me it's a toss up between Alien Encounter and The Hunchback of Notre Dame musical. I think what makes the loss of both of these worse is that they were both replaced by attractions I hate, Hunchback by the boring car show and Alien Encounter by the abomination known as Stitch's Great Escape - the ride that proves that even an amazing animatronic can't save a terrible attraction :duck:

Without a doubt, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. So much! "If You Had Wings" by Eastern Airlines is another one that I totally miss.... oh! and the old upstairs part of the Imagination Pavilion (along with the old ride). And before Alien Encounter there was "Mission to Mars" which was kind of awesome in it's own way. Man, I'm totally dating myself with these!

For me it's a toss up between Alien Encounter and The Hunchback of Notre Dame musical. I think what makes the loss of both of these worse is that they were both replaced by attractions I hate, Hunchback by the boring car show and Alien Encounter by the abomination known as Stitch's Great Escape - the ride that proves that even an amazing animatronic can't save a terrible attraction :duck:
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride - so jealous that DL got to keep theirs...

Not a ride but The Tapestry of Dreams parade in Epcot was my absolute favorite. Hey la . . . hey la, hey la!

Luckily I have the CD for Epcot with that on it, and I listen to it often!
I do too!! Most beautiful soundtrack Disney ever had in a production IMO. I was moved to tears many times watching that parade! Horizons seemed so magical to me as a child, picking my own adventure, it was way ahead of its time. Mr.Toads,20,000 Leagues,World of Motion & the OG Fig. But me and my brother were the strange children who adored Delta's Dream Flight...maybe cuz it never had a line:P

great thread!!
oh yes, Hunchback....we LOVED that show...we sometimes went into MGM just to see hunchback!! we really miss that..
and we miss the one that preceded it as well - Pocohontas....not the one that was at AK, the wonderful musical that was at MGM, before it was replaced by the even more wonderful Hunchback

and yes, also Alien Encounters and what preceded it as well....Mission to Mars and before that Flight to the Moon

Without a doubt, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. So much! "If You Had Wings" by Eastern Airlines is another one that I totally miss.... oh! and the old upstairs part of the Imagination Pavilion (along with the old ride). And before Alien Encounter there was "Mission to Mars" which was kind of awesome in it's own way. Man, I'm totally dating myself with these!

we adored If You Had Wings - went on that a zillion times....back in E tickets days, if i'm remembering correctly the "if you had wings" ride was "free"....you didn't need a ticket....am i remembering that correctly? i think so....the TTA, which at that time was called the WedWay people mover (another favorite of ours) i think was a D ticket....but i'm pretty sure that the if you had wings one was free....but maybe i'm making that up?..
does anyone remember? and now who's dating herself? i still have some of my tickets....not any E's, but i have some A's and B's....

as for Imagination - we totally miss the upstairs...we used to spend so much time up there with the kids...doing the blue screen stuff and all the other things...it was fantastic up there....

and that's sort of similar to how much we enjoyed innoventions - which i guess has gone the same way....we used to spend hours and hours in innoventions....so sad..

There are many! Horizons, If You Had Wings (Dreamflight), original version of Universe of Energy (especially the original pre-show with the screen made of rotating blocks), and Disneyland's Adventure through Inner Space.

i also miss Horizons....as well as World of Motion..

Not a ride but The Tapestry of Dreams parade in Epcot was my absolute favorite. Hey la . . . hey la, hey la!

Luckily I have the CD for Epcot with that on it, and I listen to it often!

OMG, i LOVED that parade...DD and I were just talking about that one last week and humming the music....so great...with those giant drums... or was that the Tapestry of Nations parade...ok...i have to go to you tube and check those two parades...

Last edited:
as for my favorite one that no longer exists? there are just so many ones we loved, it's impossible to pick just one...or even two...or three...
the list goes on and on and on...

i'll start with Epcot....let's see...

- Tapestry of Nations parade (which was followed by Tapestry of Dreams, that was essentially the same) - loved the music and the drums!!
- Wonders of Life pavilion - LOVED it....loved those improvisational actors who were in there...they had a little stage....and all the athletic equipment...it was really a pavilion before its time..
- Cranium Command (inside wonders of life) - totally clever and so funny!!
- Image Works - the second floor of the Imagination pavilion - especially the blue screen things where kids got to act in short little skits
- Journey into the Imagination with dreamfinder and figment
- Kitchen Kabaret - if memory serves, i liked the Version that followed better than the original, but i miss both of them....it was a loss to the pavilion that they had to be removed.
- Food Rocks - loved the music of this version ....toe tapping stuff..
- Listen to the Land, as well as the original version of living with the land - when it was narrated by human beings...i enjoyed it much more with real people talking..
- Horizons
- World of Motion - in the Transportation Pavilion (where test track is located today)
- original version of Spaceship Earth
- Innoventions -
pretty much everything in there....we loved it all and spent hours and hours in there...sounds weird perhaps, but we totally loved the fire awareness game...

Notes: yes i know i've left some things out. i did so on purpose. For example, i never liked maelstrom, so i couldn't care less that it's gone. I couldn't ride Body Wars, so it's not a problem for me that it's gone (though the idea of it was pretty cool). But i do miss the pavilion that body wars was in. I hated Captain EO, so i don't miss it. Honey I shrunk the audience was fun, but i'm fine without it. I sort of miss the hydrolators in the living seas, but i really like what they've done with Nemo so i'm ok with the changes. I don't miss El Rio del Tiemp as i view the new version as an improvement.

In one of the earlier versions of Spaceship Earth they used to play a song.. "Tomorrow's Child" as you came back down, I believe when it was sponsored by AT&T...it was so pretty, my mom and I still sing it today. We were SO bummed when they removed it!

i'll start with Epcot....let's see...

- Tapestry of Nations parade (which was followed by Tapestry of Dreams, that was essentially the same) - loved the music and the drums!!
- Wonders of Life pavilion - LOVED it....loved those improvisational actors who were in there...they had a little stage....and all the athletic equipment...it was really a pavilion before its time..
- Cranium Command (inside wonders of life) - totally clever and so funny!!
- Image Works - the second floor of the Imagination pavilion - especially the blue screen things where kids got to act in short little skits
- Journey into the Imagination with dreamfinder and figment
- Kitchen Kabaret - if memory serves, i liked the Version that followed better than the original, but i miss both of them....it was a loss to the pavilion that they had to be removed.
- Food Rocks - loved the music of this version ....toe tapping stuff..
- Listen to the Land, as well as the original version of living with the land - when it was narrated by human beings...i enjoyed it much more with real people talking..
- Horizons
- World of Motion - in the Transportation Pavilion (where test track is located today)
- original version of Spaceship Earth
- Innoventions -
pretty much everything in there....we loved it all and spent hours and hours in there...sounds weird perhaps, but we totally loved the fire awareness game...

I forgot about Horizons! My cousin and I would ride that over again. And I still remember one of the songs from Kitchen Cabaret, lol... "veggie, veggie, fruit, fruit" :)

Epcot used to be so amazing.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter