What's up with September and October availability?

October 19 and 20 is part of a fall break in Minnesota as well. Many districts have started just giving everyone that week off; in others, people are more prone to pulling their kids that week since they'll only miss 2 days in most districts.

There are also several big conferences that week at Disney, and not just at Coronado.
I was just going to say this. Very common time for Minnesotans to go!

Last edited:
I get the mid October pull your kids out theory. However in my situation, first week of September, are people pulling their kids then too? I can't believe they would with school having just started up. I feel like something is wonky with the system. This just seems nuts.

We are pulling DD out next year for Labor Day week, but our schools start the first week of August. They always take a staff development day on the Friday after Labor Day, so I could not care less about her missing the 3 days in between. This year and next are the last times we can take her out before they head into testing for the upper grades.

I have gone to WDW in October for F & W for the last 13 years. Each and every year was busier than the year before it. October used to be wonderful. It is now a very busy time of year.
This year looks like it is going to be busier than summer.
Maybe people will start realizing that fall is no longer a low-crowd time to go and then the trend will reverse? Wishful thinking maybe, but certainly possible. Crowd patterns have been so variable lately that it seems nothing can be taken for granted anymore. We took a getaway trip over this year's Easter weekend (yes, the notoriously insane, jam-packed, don't even go there Easter weekend), and crowds were just moderate. No problems. Even at MK on Easter Saturday, we didn't face unreasonable waits. In fact, it was one of the best trips ever when taking both crowds and weather into account. So you never know...

Last edited:

Your hyperbole is astonishing. And not helpful to folks searching for information.

Wow. Really? So it's no longer permissible to make a joke? I'm frustrated because I can't find anything but super expensive rooms. I made light of the situation. It's either that or cry. I've been fighting breast cancer for the past year and what has gotten me through is knowing that in September I was going to Disney. Finding what I really wanted in a room isn't working out and I'm disappointed. Truly sorry that making light of a frustrating situation was not helpful for you in your search for information.

Wow. Really? So it's no longer permissible to make a joke? I'm frustrated because I can't find anything but super expensive rooms. I made light of the situation. It's either that or cry. I've been fighting breast cancer for the past year and what has gotten me through is knowing that in September I was going to Disney. Finding what I really wanted in a room isn't working out and I'm disappointed. Truly sorry that making light of a frustrating situation was not helpful for you in your search for information.
I recently almost got my head bitten off for suggesting this to someone else, but I'll just put the info out to you anyway in case it helps: WDW resorts have a lot more availability in summer (including this summer), and resort prices are lower than in the fall. If you're having a hard time booking for September, maybe you could try late July or the first half of August instead. Before the fall activities, parties & free dining come into play, you'll see a lot more availability & affordability. Crowds might be lower, too. But if that's not for you, I get it. Just trying to help. Best wishes in your recovery!

I recently almost got my head bitten off for suggesting this to someone else, but I'll just put the info out to you anyway in case it helps: WDW resorts have a lot more availability in summer (including this summer), and resort prices are lower than in the fall. If you're having a hard time booking for September, maybe you could try late July or the first half of August instead. Before the fall activities, parties & free dining come into play, you'll see a lot more availability & affordability. Crowds might be lower, too. But if that's not for you, I get it. Just trying to help. Best wishes in your recovery!

Thank you very much. I've noticed a few posts now suggesting summer. I've always avoided it but I've begun looking into that as a possibility this morning. Not sure I can make it work but I'm going to try. Thank you!!

I have gone to WDW in October for F & W for the last 13 years. Each and every year was busier than the year before it. October used to be wonderful. It is now a very busy time of year.
This year looks like it is going to be busier than summer.
This is my third year doing the F&W and the last two were in September but this one will be in October around Columbus Day. We tried to book a DVC studio at the Poly at 7 months out and had to do a split stay since we couldn't get the full 9 days together. Luckily our waitlist finally came through. But, there are almost no rooms available for DVC during that week.

I know that there were so many people booking rooms in advance in September anticipating the free dining offer. In fact one travel agency email suggested that people do just that. And, if you look on the Dis Boards there was a huge post of people who waited for this discount to be announced. I think the free dining option and the F&W has really affected the availability of rooms.

This is my third year doing the F&W and the last two were in September but this one will be in October around Columbus Day. We tried to book a DVC studio at the Poly at 7 months out and had to do a split stay since we couldn't get the full 9 days together. Luckily our waitlist finally came through. But, there are almost no rooms available for DVC during that week.

I know that there were so many people booking rooms in advance in September anticipating the free dining offer. In fact one travel agency email suggested that people do just that. And, if you look on the Dis Boards there was a huge post of people who waited for this discount to be announced. I think the free dining option and the F&W has really affected the availability of rooms.

Those two factors seem to be the main issues, for sure. My plan is to hold out 'til the 30 day mark for when packages need to be cancelled to see what opens up. Since I've got a room only reservation (split stay at WL and POFQ in two room categories I'm not fond of), I'm fine holding out 'til then. If nothing else opens up at those resorts, I'll probably just plan on switching the trip to either December or January.

I get the mid October pull your kids out theory. However in my situation, first week of September, are people pulling their kids then too? I can't believe they would with school having just started up. I feel like something is wonky with the system. This just seems nuts.
The website/resort availability is still all screwed up. It has been going on two weeks + now. :sad2::sad2::sad2:

I have, multiple times. And crowds have gotten worse and worse each year, so much so that we stopped going in October.

Well, everyone has a different view. :) Last year I chatted with people on this site who went the same time we are going this year and they said it was totally manageable.
We went third week of October in 2014 and didn't think it was crowded at all. Only crowds are MK on non-party night and food/wine on the weekends.
And the week we are going this year still has availability in most values and moderates.

Crowds don't scare me anyways, deal with them everyday where I live!

Come on October!!! :p

Florida Resident rates through October 7th have been released. In some cases they are even better than PH rates. Still not what I'm looking for but I hope they help someone. :)

You mentioned Wilderness Lodge, only half of the rooms are now available. The other half is DVC Copper Creek.

Well, everyone has a different view. :) Last year I chatted with people on this site who went the same time we are going this year and they said it was totally manageable.
We went third week of October in 2014 and didn't think it was crowded at all. Only crowds are MK on non-party night and food/wine on the weekends.
And the week we are going this year still has availability in most values and moderates.

If the last time you went in October was 2014, you're in for a surprise.

We went last October and actually moved our fall trip up this year to last week in September. Yes, it is getting busier in the fall. The F&W is the main cause. Still though, if you go through the week it is very much manageable. We don't like to go to F&W on the weekend anyway .

I went last year. It was manageable. THAT SAID, the following conditions apply:
  1. Don't go thinking "la la la October is low crowds!" because you will find it otherwise.
  2. ADRs are important.
  3. Going to Epcot Friday night-Sunday night is madness.
  4. MK on non-party days is a mess.

We were able to get $265 at BWI and $310 WL club level with the fall AP discount. Pickings weren't great but there were some good deals to be had.

I just did a new search because that actually sounded like a really good point. Turns out there's even less availability doing it that way, including absolutely no Moderates at all. There's got to be a website issue going on right now. :sad2:

I don't believe it's a website issue @ all!
The F & W is all during Sept. now;
same with the Halloween Party.
Also free dining in Sept.

Guests are just booking out further.

It's a matter of demand being greater than supply.

Fall is also our favorite time.
It is a bummer, for sure,
but apparently the new reality!

That's no joke- it's the truth. We went in late July last year, and crowds were low. Not at the lower end of high, but low. The lowest we'd seen since January 2009. The only crowds we saw were at the water parks. We're hoping the trend continues as we return during the first week of August this summer. I'll gladly cope with heat & throw in some pool & water park time to my vacation in exchange for much lower resort prices and less crowds.

I went July 7-10 last year and found it way more manageable than any of my multiple fall 2016 or 2017 trips. This year we're going July 20-25 and by all reports, it should be around the same. Will it be hot? Of course! That's what stops in AC'd shops is for!

We went third week of October in 2014 and didn't think it was crowded at all.

That's great you have such a positive outlook!! After all, a crowded day at Disney is better than a quiet day at home! October 2017 will be far, far busier than October 2014 was, though, unfortunately. I miss when this was a quieter time for sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter