What's the deal with all of the scooters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe in the same things. But I don't think that anyone who gets on a bus and expects or demands someone else to get up and give them their seat is showing either. Neither is anyone who ignores the fact that their family member can't stand on a bus, and yet insists they get on standing room only buses.

Offer up your seat if you choose to. But don't demand it of others when you have no idea of what is going on in their lives. If you have a family member who can't stand on a bus, see to their needs and make sure they don't. Don't try and pass off that responsibility onto others, and then get mad when they don't accept it.

Meh. We're not going to agree, here. And that's okay.

My parents came along with us this past August to Disney. My dad had to have a scooter because of his disability. From them moment he got it at the hotel, he was embarrassed to be using it. He is very proud, but would no way be able to navigate the parks with just his cane. This is a touchy subject because while many people comment on how they need to learn to navigate it, what amazed us is how truly rude many people really are. I couldn't believe the amount of people who would just cross directly in from of his scooter, causing him to have to stop quickly. Getting out of the parks was the worse. Finally we had to make a circle around him just so people would stop walking/crossing right in from of him. Most people in a scooter would rather be mobile and not need a scooter at all!

My parents came along with us this past August to Disney. My dad had to have a scooter because of his disability. From them moment he got it at the hotel, he was embarrassed to be using it. He is very proud, but would no way be able to navigate the parks with just his cane. This is a touchy subject because while many people comment on how they need to learn to navigate it, what amazed us is how truly rude many people really are. I couldn't believe the amount of people who would just cross directly in from of his scooter, causing him to have to stop quickly. Getting out of the parks was the worse. Finally we had to make a circle around him just so people would stop walking/crossing right in from of him. Most people in a scooter would rather be mobile and not need a scooter at all!

I have always been heavy. Sorry, that's the way it is. I'm 65 years old and have fought off any temptation to ride around the parks. It's a matter of pride. Now I have been diagnosed with the start up, they tell me, of Rheumatoid Arthritis. The distances and length of stamina that I had just a mere year ago is about half. I am going to need a scooter the next time I go, I think. I'm going to try first without one, but, if it becomes necessary, I will get one.

I am proud of all that I have accomplished in my life. Even how much I have pushed myself to stay active and not freeze up physically because I spent my whole life sitting. (Computer time doesn't count) It is that pride in myself and what I have accomplished in life that makes me want to do one thing if I do have the need to use a scooter while in the park. I want a sign that I can put on each side with a drawing of a hand held upright with one single digit extended skyward. That would be to let everyone know, that is either judging my need or upset because they think that I am inconveniencing them, just how little I care about their opinions. I hope they have a magical day. Their righteous indignation will not be impressing me.

I have witnessed a number of scooter hits and near hits and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM was because someone wasn't paying attention and stepped in front of the scooter. Almost every time the alleged victim turned around and cursed the scooter operator like it was his/her fault that they had been stupid. So if you see me in the park with a scooter and you step in front of me causing me to either hit you or come close and then you want to decide to curse me out, one of two things might happen. I might just laugh in your face and call you an idiot or I might get off the scooter and you will see that I am still big and although I don't have enough stamina to walk the parks all day in pain, I can be very impressive for short periods of time.

As a further point of who actually is at fault in those situations. I have been to the resort 43 times in 30 years. Most of those have been within the last 15 years or so. I have never been hit by a scooter, wheelchair or stroller. Know why? Because I pay attention to what I am doing and don't expect the world to take the blame for my carelessness.

This is a touchy subject. I'm 24, and more than anything in the world, I would love to walk hand in hand with my son through the parks on his first visit. But I can't. I've been diagnosed with a debilitating disease that has taken my vision, my ability to go without a headache, my ability to walk and use my left hand. I, more than anyone, would love to leave the scooters to people who need them more than I do, but I can't .

People don't use them for fun. Because along with my pride being hurt in not being able to parent my child alone, my pride in walking as a normal 24 year old has been taken too.

If I hear one more person say "but you don't look sick..." I'll black out angry, and not be accountable for my actions.

There are people who abuse that,.yes.
But before you get upset about someone looking fine, think about people like me.

This post isn't directed toward any poster, or anyone commenting, I'm just having a rough day and had someone ask me why the government wasted time and money on providing me a handicapped placard, because I look fine.

We live half way around the country and have been 11 times in the last 10 years and have experienced multiple cases of very rude cattle cart drivers. My 8 year old daughter had the side of her foot/ankle run over by a scooter passing her. I guess the operator figured it was easier to zoom past her than the larger person to her right (me). When he failed to so much as turn around at the crying girl now on the ground I yelled at him and got a glare that would melt ice. He barked something along the lines of how she shouldnt "swerve".... when he's trying to pass her. Imagine that, an 8 year old girl, at Disneyworld not yielding to a cart passing her from behind. My wife had to restrain me.

Point is they dont own the road and they dont have a special right-away regardless of what put them in that chair.

A minority of cart drivers are like this, but they are out there and they do ruin the image of the rest of them... thus the near constant discussion on them.

I didn't know that the scooters don't have brakes. So I did learn one thing from this crazy thread.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, so please advise if it needs to be moved. I am just back from a week long trip and it felt like there were more scooters there than strollers!! They were everywhere! This is my first trip back in 5 years and I just can't believe the difference. We stayed at Pop so we used the bus system for transportation. I think maybe twice we didn't have to wait while they loaded a scooter or 2 first, along with all of their family members. The scooters took up 3 seats each, then the families were seated. It way very annoying so have to wait on 2 or 3 buses to come.

I know it sounds as if I am unsympathetic, but I really am not. It's just when you see these people hopping out of them to go eat or go to the restroom and they look like they don't have a problem in the world, it makes you wonder. I would say 90% of them are overweight and I wonder if they aren't just using them to save their feet some discomfort and not because they have a back injury or some other ailment.

Also, some of them seem to be first-time scooter users because they were running over toes and into the back of people's legs.

I've at least learned a lesson from it. I will choose a monorail resort from now on.
2gxg2gl.jpg

~Oh wow! I'm late but at least I'm in! :cool1:

~Seriously though, don't judge. Patience and understanding is required on both sides. People on scooters or those who benefit from the use of any mobility aid should never be made to feel guilty or bad about exercising these options. As healthy able bodied people, we can be kind, patient & wait. With that said, it's always best to be aware of your surroundings, so you can at least try to avoid a run in with a scooter or stroller.

mikejuliestl said:
We live half way around the country and have been 11 times in the last 10 years and have experienced multiple cases of very rude cattle cart drivers. My 8 year old daughter had the side of her foot/ankle run over by a scooter passing her. I guess the operator figured it was easier to zoom past her than the larger person to her right (me). When he failed to so much as turn around at the crying girl now on the ground I yelled at him and got a glare that would melt ice. He barked something along the lines of how she shouldnt "swerve".... when he's trying to pass her. Imagine that, an 8 year old girl, at Disneyworld not yielding to a cart passing her from behind. My wife had to restrain me.

Point is they dont own the road and they dont have a special right-away regardless of what put them in that chair.

A minority of cart drivers are like this, but they are out there and they do ruin the image of the rest of them... thus the near constant discussion on them.

That is so terrible!!! People do need to pay attention.

Can our hypothetical "terrible" family also be trying to get the adults and 13 year olds a BBB reservation??? Oh pleeeeeeassssse!!! lol I love all the humor on here!!

That said, gosh I'm worried about our trip now!! I knew there was scooter hate but I didn't know it was so bad. My grandmother will be there with me and my sister, on a scooter!! She's really a good driver (we'll have a driving lesson I promise) and she only ran into the bushes ONCE at Sea World!! lol Really funny story actually and no one was hurt!!

Was gonna quote the person with the injured kid but it's too long. I'm very sorry that your kid got hurt, but I seriously think all parties were at fault in your situation. Please don't let one person ruin your vacation and form your opinion about all scooter riders.

My Nana is 76 years old, has arthritis, a replaced knee and a bad one, and a whole host of stuff wrong!! She LOVES Disney though (it's not just for kids either, don't get me started lol) and this may be our last big trip for a while!! My sister or I will drive the scooter onto the bus to save time and make it easier on everyone (and only us two will be with her) and she may even stand in some lines, but she cannot do Disney without it!!

I hope we don't get too many stares and we will of course try to be as accommodating and courteous as we can (of course she does "doddle" as we call it and may get in someones way a time or two) but I will apologize in advance for stepping on anyone's toes (not literally I hope)!!

:guilty:

I didn't know that the scooters don't have brakes. So I did learn one thing from this crazy thread.
They don't have brakes but when you release the throttle lever, it will stop as if it had brakes. They can stop quite abruptly if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter