What's Left? (Remy Shoe Question)

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
  • Ladies: Dress or pantsuit is required. No jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
I don't wear heels for health reasons so what's left?

Actually, I don't, I get all my shoes from sanuk since Payless went away (they have shoes made of stretchy material). I can't find shoes like that, that actually fit my feet which are wide. Payless was the only place I could find 9ws. I don't even own tennis shoes.

My mom used to say my feet were wide because I spent so much time barefoot... the moment I can take my shoes off, I do.

do you not have normal flat shoes like these

View attachment 591095

View attachment 591096

For what it's worth, I wore nice/dressy sandals when I went with a long dress. I don't think you need to be too technical about it, as long as you look presentable and go with the formal ambiance they are trying to create! Don't stress over it! It is more to make sure people don't show up in a swimsuit with shorts and a t shirt than anything else. I think anything that you would wear to a nicer occasion dinner at home would be suitable for Remy.

Truthfully, unless you show up to dinner in a t-shirt - I highly doubt they are going to look twice at what you are wearing!!

These are my go to do you think they might be ok?
Cuz I'm kinda worried they look like a glorified flip flop.
SWS10001-BLK_1.jpg

For what it's worth, I wore nice/dressy sandals when I went with a long dress. I don't think you need to be too technical about it, as long as you look presentable and go with the formal ambiance they are trying to create! Don't stress over it! It is more to make sure people don't show up in a swimsuit with shorts and a t shirt than anything else. I think anything that you would wear to a nicer occasion dinner at home would be suitable for Remy.

Truthfully, unless you show up to dinner in a t-shirt - I highly doubt they are going to look twice at what you are wearing!!

Before I lost weight, I needed wide shoes and understand that they are a bit harder to find. I had great luck with Lands End (they have a nice ballet flat) and found that some of the Skechers flats in a medium fit because they were so stretchy. I also found very nice flats in wide on Amazon for my niece's wedding. I just checked Walmart's website and they have some wide width flats there as well. Seems like the availability is a bit better now than even a few years ago.

If the rules say no flip flops and no sandals, you *might* be able to get away with your go-to sandals but what if they turn you away? That's always a possibility and you might want to have a back up in plan just in case.

Oh these look great! Thank you! Both of the dresses I've chosen for the cruise are shorter.

Do you think these could also work for close toed shoe requirements for Be Our Chef at Palo?

I wear ballet flats or dressy-ish sandals. Once in a while heels. If you wear a long dress, no one will really see your shoes (I have used that tactic on occasion). I have a pair of black Rothy flats and they are perfect for so many occasions (and accommodate a wide foot - I have bunions). These shoes are indestructible.

Black Flats for Women | Washable & Sustainable | Rothy's (rothys.com)

Last edited:
Oh these look great! Thank you! Both of the dresses I've chosen for the cruise are shorter.

Do you think these could also work for close toed shoe requirements for Be Our Chef at Palo?
They do have closed toes. Still leaves a lot of foot to get splashed or otherwise injured. But I think it episode count.

The requirement for closed-toed shoes is, I would guess, for safety (and also hygeine), in case something from the kitchen falls on your foot, it's protected. Since those cover your toes I would think they would meet the requirement, since all it says is "closed-toed shoes."

I wear ballet flats or dressy-ish sandals. Once in a while heels. If you wear a long dress, no one will really see your shoes (I have used that tactic on occasion). I have a pair of black Rothy flats and they are perfect for so many occasions (and accommodate a wide foot - I have bunions). These shoes are indestructible.

Black Flats for Women | Washable & Sustainable | Rothy's (rothys.com)

I love my Rothy's super comfortable and washable. They are so easy and they have a lot of great styles.

I have very wide feet. I've fractured both of them and dislocated my right ankle. I too went barefoot for years as a kid, teen and adult. I wear socks around the house but no slippers or anything like that. I usually buy my shoes on www.womanwithin.com or www.roamans.com. They come in wide and double wide. They have women's sizes up to 12 and half sizes to 10 1/2. I've found some very comfy shoes. If you can get them on a sale which they have almost everyday you could get a pair for cheap. Look for their 50% or 60% off sales. I just got a nice pair of shoes for $18.99 on sale before shipping. The shoes after shipping came to under $30.00. They have really nice clothing for plus sized woman. I take a 4X and have some of the cutest dresses and skirt with nice tops. I hope this helps. Have fun on your cruise. Concierge sounds wonderful. 🙂

I would never have noticed the no sandals part for Remy.

I was turned away from a restaurant in Africa. It was raining and I was wearing flip flops (and a dress). Had to walk to lodging to change into the flats I had. They didn’t like those, either, but I had no other choice and they finally relented. It’s the only time I have been turned away because of dress code.

I don’t think you will get get the same scrutiny on DCL (other than for safety reasons in the kitchen).

Flip flops = flip flop sound.

I always wear sandals with dresses.

Decisions - I hope this is fun for you, getting to anticipate a fun dinner.

My wide-footed sister and niece wear Alegria, Birkenstock, Josef Seidel. Invest in good quality shoes if you can; you feet will thank you.

Last edited:
I actually do enjoy the planning process - maybe a little too much. I have to go all in and get every detail in place as quickly as possible - so I can put it away and forget it. If I don't I spend every waking moment until the trip obsessing on it. Time draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags when I'm obsessing on going on a trip.

And thank you - I'll check out all of those stores... you know I should have just come to the dis the last time I needed new shoes and couldn't find anything via google.

Decisions - I hope this is fun for you, getting to anticipate a fun dinner.

My wide-footed sister and niece wear Alegria, Birkenstock, Josef Seidel. Invest in good quality shoes if you can; you feet will thank you.

I was turned away from Remy for wearing sandals 🙄 they weren’t flip flops. They were actually designer more formal sandals. They offered me “house shoes” which I honestly have no idea if they were even in my size but I hiked it back to my room to change.

I wish Disney would drop these nonsense dress codes from their formal restaurants, they’re so passé.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter