What's for dinner?!!!!!

irishsharon

DIS Veteran
So DS 8 Breakfast: Honeynut cheerios or crispix milk on the side.Waffles,pancakes,french toast.Drinks only milk or water never drinks juice ever!Lunch/Dinner: Pizza ,Chicken nuggets,Grilled cheese,Hot dog,PB&J,Fishsticks,One variety of boxed pasta,French fries.Snacks he has a bunch he likes but others he wont touch same with dessert and candy only a handful he will eat.I have tried to introduce new foods over and over but his anxiety level goes through the roof even if its on his plate.At a restaurant if there is a pickle on his plate and is touching anything it has to be removed before he will eat.So one quirky thing, he will still eat stage 2 gerber fruits and veggies,I have stopped doing this the last ten months because I want him to move on and try new things but that is not happening.At least with the gerber I knew he was getting fruits and veggies now all he eats is applesauce which we have to mix his meds. into(he will not take the meds. any other way even though they are chewables)I'm so lost trying to help him.The child only eats PB&J with water every day for lunch at school for the past 3 years and now with the new school year starting I wish he would eat something else(HE will not buy school lunch even on pizza fridays!) Anyone else out there having to deal with food issues?No matter what my MIL says it's more than just a picky eatter .

I have plenty of eating issues w/ my son. The main problems are all about fruit and veggies. He won't eat them at all. I can't even sneak them into foods he likes, he somehow knows they're in there. He must be able to smell them or something. I can't even fool him w/ a veggie or fruit he's never seen before, he doesn't like trying new things. *sigh* At least he drinks Juicy Juice. (Just the fruit punch, and it has to be in a box...not a glass or a juice pouch.)

Do a google search on 'leaky gut' syndrome - bookwormde had some good info on it here awhile ago too.

I'd like to shoot the person who invented processed chicken nuggets!

ETA - I forgot to add my picky eater's diet!

Breakfast - cheerios, waffle, pancakes - milk or juice on the side
Lunch - protein bar, one brand only, one flavor only. Will eat most fruits and veggies
Dinner - pasta, mac and cheese, grilled cheese, veggies.

She's 16, won't eat any meat (gag reflex), wants everything separate, even salad ingredients...

So how do you get a picky eatter to branch out just a little?:confused3 I would just love to make one dinner at night. I have been told to serve nothing else but what I am eatting but then he will not eat and I cannot let him go hungry.I just feel I need to find a new approach,any ideas?

After many miserable years of pleading, bribing, begging, or prying jaws open, we now use use the two bite rule for new foods (served three different times) AND it applies to everyone ;) Meaning I have personally bitten into many things I would rather not have tried! After two bites the kids can eat some other food being offered at that meal OR find and make an alternative for themselves (PB&J, cereal, soup). At first, I would make DS's preferred alternative for him as long as he agreed to take two bites.
Right now DS10 prefers chicken fries, chili, PB&J's, salsa with chips, apples, and smores. This year he began asking for hamburgers and chili so he did actually develop a taste for some of the two bite items... it definately worked! He recently asked to try BBQ ribs on his own :eek:.

Check with you pediatrician, if your child is healthy and takes a good multivitamin then do not cause anxiety over it (either yours or your child's). This is a very typical diet for kids with sensory differences and who do not have the social drive to conform.

Offer and encourage new foods but never push, as this will create a negative reaction to anything new. About the time you think that the diet is static, they will pick something new (of course you may also loose items along the way).

It is always a magical day when our kids "branch out"

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter