What's a solo trip like?

I wish I was brave enough to go solo. I just got the discount pin code but I have no one to go with. Husband and friends can make it. I am not so concerned about things once I am at Disney as I am about finding my plane and the airport transportation. I am very shy and I have never traveled alone! :scared:

Plus I have to admit that the trip seems so much more reasonably priced when it is two people sharing the room cost!

It may help to try a smaller solo trip first. I've gone to a few more local places solo. I'm really looking forward to a real solo trip now. A good friend of mine only likes traveling solo. She goes everywhere.

Some years back I thought it'd be cool to take my dad back to DL to revisit where my love of Disney parks began at the age of 6. The return to DL with my dad was my most unpleasant Disney park experience, ever. In a nutshell it was like trying to convince someone to enjoy visiting a dentist for a root canal. After several hours of what appeared to be sheer torture for my dad:sad1: we left. Seems I'm the only Disney-parkaholic in my family. My sister, brother-in-law and their kids visited WDW planning to spend a week there. After 3 days they felt too bored to stay any longer and left never to return (my niece and nephew are now adults). Solo is the best way to really enjoy Disney parks.:mickeyjum

I just don't understand how you can be bored at Disney. I actually have the opposite problem. My whole family is Disney fanatics it's hard to go without someone else wanting to tag along.

sometimes during our family trips i would often go over to EpCot myself while husband/son relaxed in the BCV room.
It was then that I thought "you know sometimes ppl are alone at that time because others just arent with them" and if thats ok "then why not do a solo trip!"
On my first solo trip I met other Off Kilter fanatics and my solo trips have never again been solo! I meet up with locals and theres a girl from IL (Hi Nancy) that I room share with.
Works quite well - when I want to go to the parks solo I do but midafternoon/night you can always find me at OK along with other OK fans

bill brown! you are the only other central valley dweller i see on disboards...i live in modesto.

Ate lunch at a movie-themed restaurant in Modesto a few years ago. It was kind of like a mini-Disney TS restaurant experience.::MickeyMo

perhaps that was the place near the theater? i like clovis for all the many supercalifragilisticexpialidocious vintage and antique shops. not much happening in motown (sounds more hip than modesto, no?)
princess:

perhaps that was the place near the theater? i like clovis for all the many supercalifragilisticexpialidocious vintage and antique shops. not much happening in motown (sounds more hip than modesto, no?)
princess:
I only ate there once, because I only visited Motown once, several years ago. Can't recall if the restaurant was near a theater. However, I do recall booth displays featured set pieces from various films.:3dglasses Nope, it was not a Planet Hollywood. I agree that downtown Clovis has more than an ample number of antique and collectibles shops. Our newest strip mall on Herndon Ave. just got a brand new Best Buy, where I enjoy checkin' out the latest hi-tech goodies on the market. Before that store opened had to travel 7 miles to the nearest Best Buy in Fresno.:laughing:

Just wanted to let ya know, with your encouragement I have booked my first ever solo trip...ANYWHERE. So off I go for 7 nights in November! Wish me luck!!!

Just wanted to let ya know, with your encouragement I have booked my first ever solo trip...ANYWHERE. So off I go for 7 nights in November! Wish me luck!!!

Hurrah! Long trip :) I hope you have a lovely time!!! I'm sure it will be great...

hi friendly frog! :wave: congratulations on your upcoming november trip. what are the dates that you'll be there?

i was there last november from 11/8 though 11/16..it was divine! caught the tail end of the food and wine festival and the beginning of xmas. was surprised at how cold it got at night!

hooray for your solo trip!
:ccat:

Woohoo!:yay: I'm sure you'll enjoy a fun trip. Bring chilly weather clothing in addition to standard tropical weather shorts and stuff. Actually wore a knit cap, thick fur lined leather gloves, and parka with hood up for a couple really cold nights at WDW in December some years ago. Those same days I had been comfortable wearing shorts and a t-shirt before nightfall.

I love reading all the responses here..

Ive been toying with the idea of a solo trip.. DH doesnt mind although he has gotten to love going to WDW but he understands that this is the one thing I really want to do..

Im currently thinking of doing January or February for maybe 4-5 days.. A solo trip sounds like so much fun!

Thanks guys, I will be traveling the middle of November.

Also thanks for the clothing tips!! I hope it is not too chilly. I am NOT a cold weather gal. Then on the other hand having gone the last two trips in September, I had decided that it was way too hot for me anymore. I guess I am never happy. :confused3

It will be interesting with the new baggage rules, to pack for a wide variety of temperatures and also get my coffee pot smuggled in . :cool1:

I go solo to DL and WDW on all my trips. I don't have anyone to speed me up I like taking in the Parks slowly and at my speed. Love taking breaks all the time just to people watch. The best is to sit down below the Noodle station by the water with a Pop Corn and Diet Coke and feed Donald's family and watch all the people. When I want to eat I don't have to wait on everyone else to want to I just go.

I think I get more rides done during the day because I just take my time if it a long line I can just come back to it.

Any time I want to go back to the hotel I can.

I go solo to DL and WDW on all my trips. I don't have anyone to speed me up I like taking in the Parks slowly and at my speed. Love taking breaks all the time just to people watch. The best is to sit down below the Noodle station by the water with a Pop Corn and Diet Coke and feed Donald's family and watch all the people. When I want to eat I don't have to wait on everyone else to want to I just go.

I think I get more rides done during the day because I just take my time if it a long line I can just come back to it.

Any time I want to go back to the hotel I can.

lots and lots of freedom on solo trips. i like not feeling guilty for ducking into every shop.

Thanks for all the tips and the words of encouragement. I am making my first solo trip in mid-November. I look forward to enjoying me.

I usually go solo, this august I went with family. It was going to be my last visit for a few years so it was going to be a good one. Ha! It was such a good trip I am going back for 14 day trip with the deluxe dining plan at the Beach Club! I was told that I really should give myself a nice holiday some where else, didn't feel like saying I was already booked. My family know and I have said that I might go next year (might, got more chance of winning the lotto than cancelling)

:cool1: :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9: :hippie:

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the posts here. Last night I finally did it, and booked my first solo trip for December 2009!

Sure it's a little early, but it will give me something to really look forward to over the next year. I'm still hoping to be able to upgrade to the Boardwalk resort, as it's my dream resort, but am still happy with where I will be. Boardwalk is unfortunately a bit out of my budget, especially for a solo trip.

I've been on many solo trips, both to Disney and to other destinations (most notably, Sanibel Island). Most all of my friends are married with children, and it is typically very difficult for them to get away. I figured out long ago that I should not wait for someone to be able to go with me, or I would never go!

The thing I like best about solo trips is that I can do what I want, when I want, and I don't have to negotiate or compromise. I just follow my muse, take my time or hurry, stick to my plan or change my mind, and the only person who is affected is MOI. I like standing in front of a statue and photographing it 6 ways from Sunday without people waiting for me impatiently. I like going to Epcot three times and Studios none, if that's what I want this time around.

In short, it is total hedonistic freedom :lol:

You will love it! :thumbsup2

Just back from 8 nights solo - had a fabulous time. After 2 day of hard paced park hopping I completely changed plans and eased back the throttle. This time I also did more of the less visited attractions, stuff that others might find boring. Maybe it was something in my chocolate milk, but this year the other guests seemed to be having more fun than they did last year - I saw exactly one meltdown the whole time, no line hopping, shouting or anything - just lots of people having a great time.

What a great thread! I just started contemplating a solo trip in the last few days. DH always lets me take a solo trip once a year, typically I've been going to his parents 2nd home in Fort Myers, but it just didn't work out this year. I thought, hmm, how about going to WDW to see the Christmas decorations? It's not going to work this year, and we're taking the boys next year at Halloween, so I think I will start planning a solo trip for Christmas 2010. Never too soon to start planning! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter