What's a solo trip like?

I didn't have to share a car with anybody ever, except on roller coasters when i stood in the single rider line. i was there last november with a friend, and actually requested that we sit separately 'cause i wanted to hear everything and my friend chatters over EVERYTHING! (november 8 through 16). you'll probably get your own car on the haunted manse.

this is so true! doesn't matter if you're alone, everybody is happy about sharing the disney experience, and they all chat. kids LOVE to tell people about their favorite things, how wet they got on rides, which adults were screaming, etc.

:rotfl: :confused3 princess: this is so true! doesn't matter if you're alone, everybody is happy about sharing the disney experience, and they all chat. kids LOVE to tell people about their favorite things, how wet they got on rides, which adults were screaming, etc.

oops...posted twice. what a blog hog.

I did my first solo trip in September 2007.

Never once did I have anyone look shocked or give me that “how
pathetic for you” look. I found most people were so into their own
families and experience they didn’t give me a second glance or
spend a moment of their time thinking about me.

But maybe they did. Maybe people did look at me in shock. I never
noticed because I was having so much fun. Even on the busses. And
I’m quite shy.

I've been on trips with family and trips as a solo, and I enjoy them both. But they are very different experiences. When I go with others, I'm the "Disney Expert", so I feel some pressure in doing alot of the planning and making sure that everyone is having fun. When I go solo, it's all about ME! I only do the things that I enjoy. I might run into a park fo ride a single ride and then leasve. Or I might go on Spaceship Earth 10 times in a row. :) And being a single guy, I can splurge on things that others might not be able to because of their budget. I want to do an Epcot tour and the Dine with an Imagineer on my upcoming trip.

I've done several trips solo, and have never had a negative experience. People ride alone all the time even when traveling with others since not everyone is into the certain rides. Plus, on rides like TSM, you would end up riding with a stranger anyways if there were an odd number of people in your party. Don't miss out on the fun! Go solo and enjoy it!

Count me in! I love Disney, love WDW, love traveling, and SOLO?- that really is a vacation for me. My first solo WDW trip was semi-accidental as I was meeting my Bestie for a quick pre-Christmas/early December weekend. I literally planned and executed the trip in less than 72 hours. Not my usual planning fest. Due to some scheduling disasters, we were only able to meet up for half of a Saturday. The first Saturday in December. At MK. Also known to be the day they film the Christmas Parade for ABC. We had a blast as usual- even with the insane crowds in MK that day, but I had been in Disney since the evening before, had the rest of Saturday, and all day Sunday alone too. I was aprehensive, but I ended up having the best time ever. That night I managed to see the Obsorne Lights in DHS(then MGM), Candlelight Processional in Epcot AND the late showing of Holiday Wishes in MK. It was a practical footrace, but I would have never attempted dragging anyone else along with me! After that, I planned my very own solo trip during Food and Wine. The best vacation I have ever experienced. And that is saying a lot. It was relaxing, exciting, spontaneous, and unexpected. I don't really like eating at TS alone, mostly because I'm too social to sit quietly. I recommend eating at one of the great bar/lounges or asking for counter seating where available (Flying Fish, Jiko, California Grill, come to mind...). There were always chatty guests or CMs in these areas. I do like my me time during my park touring frenzy, so I usually grabbed some CS meal and found a great spot to eat, review the digital pics, write in my travel journal- a great idea for soloers, or even catch up with my calls. Even in Disney I can't completely escape.
My advice is if you are even thinking about solo- do it! Once you are there and on your own, you won't even remember what it's like trying to coordinate between all of your family members, friends, the bathroom breaks, appetites, foot pain, boredom, etc.

I did my first solo trip in September 2007.

Never once did I have anyone look shocked or give me that “how
pathetic for you” look. I found most people were so into their own
families and experience they didn’t give me a second glance or
spend a moment of their time thinking about me.

But maybe they did. Maybe people did look at me in shock. I never
noticed because I was having so much fun. Even on the busses. And
I’m quite shy.

the look of dismay usually followed the question, "are you here with your children?" i think it is sort of sad that it wouldn't occur to them that being there alone might just be fab.

the look of dismay usually followed the question, "are you here with your children?" i think it is sort of sad that it wouldn't occur to them that being there alone might just be fab.

I guess each experience is different. I’m glad I never got any
shocked or “how pathetic” looks. Most people never even noticed
me and the few conversations I got into the people were curious
and very envious. Everyone I spoke to thought a solo trip was a
courageous choice and a great idea.

I loved going solo and will be back in December!

I've done several solo trips since 2006. Sure, you feel a bit odd at first with all the families and kids around. After a while though you just start enjoying everything. Especially the fact that you can do whatever you want when you want it. :thumbsup2

Here are a list of some of the good things about going solo...
*The top thing is you make your own schedule. You don't have to get anyones approval. You can wander around doing nothing if you want. Who's going to tell you not to? :thumbsup2
*SINGLE RIDER LINES!!!!!!!!!! I still remember riding Expedition like 4-5 times in a row while the same groups were still going through the lines. Even FP can't beat it!:thumbsup2
*You're the only one using your hotel room restroom (at least I hope I am:scared1: ). Makes getting out the door faster.
*Getting a seat on transportation is easy. I don't mind sitting next to strangers; using public transportation does that to you.;)
*Dining is easier. The wait staff doesn't usually mess up single orders, and the restaurants always have 2 seat tables or a bar to sit at.
*More space in the hotel room. I get to use the other bed to store stuff!

As far as doubts on going solo...
*If you get lonely just look around; there's always someone to chat with. You'd be surprised how much people love to tell you about themselves :teeth:
*Want a picture of yourself? Ask a castmember or a friendly traveler. Haven't been turned down yet. It's also fun to volunteer to take pictures for families.
*Don't like eating by yourself? Find a restaurant that's busy, or sit outside if you can. Gives you lots to look at. You can always chat with the wait staff if they aren't too busy, or the bartender if you're at a bar.
*Worried that people might stare at you? They're to busy enjoying themselves or fighting to get through their 'vacation' to worry about you.

Well, that's all I got. Not sure if that helps, but hope it does.:thumbsup2

For anyone curious... I'm thinking about Twitter-ing my way through my next trip solo (twitter.com is a mini-blog that you can submit through your cell phone-- watch the video for a heads up:)) So... If you can wait til October, you can read along as I go!!!

H:hippie:

For anyone curious... I'm thinking about Twitter-ing my way through my next trip solo (twitter.com is a mini-blog that you can submit through your cell phone-- watch the video for a heads up:)) So... If you can wait til October, you can read along as I go!!!

H:hippie:

That does sound interesting:thumbsup2

it was nice to go at my pace...see things I dont get to see or do when I am with others, take pictures I was never able to slow down and take etc etc...I was able to stop and take group pictures for other travelers so everyone could be in the shot...I helped a few elderly ppl push wheelchairs, I helped mothers with full hands push strollers and their dinner trays I bought ice cream for little kids...IT WAS A WONDERFUL AND VERY FULLFILLING VACATION:):)

I loved reading this!
I firmly believe in Random Acts of Kindness, have been on both the receiving end and the giving end--not sure which brings the most happiness!
Will be going solo for a week mid September... I think I'll have no problem with it except for sharing the fun of the rides! Have always loved treating myself to a special meal in a restaurant alone! It's very true that unless you're overly demanding the staff will treat you very well

G.

I loved reading this!
I firmly believe in Random Acts of Kindness, have been on both the receiving end and the giving end--not sure which brings the most happiness!

I'm glad you brought up Random Acts of Kindness... until now I had forgotten all about my favorite(and cutest) one from my solo trip last November. On the last day of my trip, I was on the bus from POP to Epcot. The bus was quite busy. I sat at the front and a family (mom, dad, 2 little girls- probably 2 and 4 yrs) sat in the 2 seats next to me. Each parent had a kid of their lap since they couldn't find 3 or 4 empty seats. Since I'm a small person and I had the edge seat, squished over a bit I asked the older girl if she wanted to share my seat with me. She was very happy to get off her mom's lap and sit next to me. Her and I chatted the whole way to Epcot about Disney and all kinds of things, including her baby sister. She noticed my lanyard covered in pins and wanted me to tell her about each one. She saw my Soarin' pin and said she hasn't been on the ride. I told if she was really brave, maybe mommy and daddy would take her on it! :) It was such a fun bus ride... I hope my little bus friend had a wonderful day at Epcot and liked Soarin'.

I dont know if I could do a whole trip solo. I went to Epcot once alone. We were 6 days into our vacation and my family didnt want to get out of bed! I warned them the night before that I was leaving early and anyone that got up could go with me. No one got up!

I felt funny standing outside of Epcot all alone. Everyone was talking to there family and friends. I talked to the family behind me a little. Then they formed a circle and turned there backs to me. I didnt talk to anyone all morning.
I did get to ride Soarin' and get fastpasses!

...I talked to the family behind me a little. Then they formed a circle and turned there backs to me...
Dang! That sounds kinda cold. Have to admit that I tend to get into my own little world when wandering around the World. However, I'm receptive to chatting with about anyone that shares a word or 2 with me.:listen:

I don't know how I would do at WDW but I did a day at Disneyland alone one day and it was one of the most depressing days of my life XD I felt like everyone was staring at me in the lines for rides. I didn't have anyone to share the magic with! I ended up coming home early. I suggest you go with someone

OMG! I love it! I have met up with so many other Off Kilter fans that I am Never alone!

I only solo'd once, but for anyone hesitant to do TS meals for fear of sitting by yourself and staring into the lonely void of the restaurant, let me assure you of something: when I went, I ate at over 15 TS locations, and I never received better service in my life. The CMs were nicer to me than to the tables of 2-4-6-8-10 all around. I can't explain why; maybe it was the fact that I wasn't running them ragged. Whatever.

You make your own schedule, your own pace. Come and go whenever and wherever you want. Go back to your hotel or don't. It is the greatest freedom. Plus, don't forget as a single rider you can skip ahead of many lines to fill in that extra seat.

I don't recommend going solo to many places in the world, but I'd do the World again in a heartbeat. Enjoy.

That's good to know, because if I ever go solo again (and I might now that I have DVC and an AP), I will definately plan some TS meals. I just couldn't handle it my first solo trip and I really wasn't going for the food, but for the experience of having so much freedom.

When is the best time of year in your opinion to go it alone. I never tried it, but after reading everyone's posts.. I am very interested.:idea:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter