Whatever you do, don't carry a bag to Universal Studios!

Do not take bags! We do not take bags in with one exception: when our children were young DH would take a camelbac filled with water, and with raincoats, sunscreen, bandaids stuffed into the pocket of it - especially those trips in August. Since then we wear shorts with pockets that button and lanyards that can hold cell phone and cards and can be tucked in under a shirt.

Went with a friend this Spring to Universal had a great time and would do it again - but the bag thing was super irritating. She had not ever been to Disney or Universal - which she now regrets not ever doing with her kids. Told her over and over to not bring her big ol purse into the parks, gave her a lanyard, which she refused, begged her to get a fanny pack - nope. The only thing I saw her ever take out of the purse was her paper for entrance and a mint/gum after lunches. Her room key and cash were in her pocket.

Maybe it was when we were there, or maybe it is because I am not used to dealing with lockers, but it was a HUGE pain all four days we were there. We lost time with security going in during the all important 1 hr early admittance, waited for lockers over and over again, people got huffy while she tried to stuff her big ol bag into the narrow locker -especially if she was blocking their access to their locker, sometimes we would forget what locker was hers and would wait in a line where people would get huffy when we used the keypad to find out, people would stand in clumps of six -10 people blocking the keypads and/or lockers which made us huffy, and finally we missed out on last ride of forbidden journey on our last day there. It was still open and we could go in but by the time she got a locker and joined me TWELVE FULL MINUTES LATER they had closed the line for the day. Don't do it!

If we go again will buy her three prong fanny pack like what a previous poster said works and make it a condition of the trip!

To be fair, most of the issues seem to have stemmed from your friend's decisions and behaviors, rather than from any inherent problem with the lockers. In fact, at the risk of sounding mean, I'd go so far as to argue that behaviors like those exhibited by your friend (opting to bring everything but the kitchen sink in a huge bag, forgetting locker numbers, blocking others' access, etc...) cause most of the problems in the locker bays. :-/

I don't think it's fair to make a general statement that nobody should take bags. Your friend ruined the experience for you, but that does not mean that everyone has such trouble or feels so vehemently that bringing bags to the parks is an awful idea. :-)

Do you mind sharing which lanyards you use? Looking for ones that can hold smartphones! Thank you in advance :goodvibes

Instead of having the Harry Potter themed one's from the park, I decided to order my Harry Potter lanyard through Hot Topic to be a little different. It seems as if everyone is wearing the same one's and I can't help to always want to be different, or unique.

I personally do not use the one's for smartphones, especially since a lot of times I'm holding my phone, because no matter how many times I come, I'm always taking photos, so I do not mind it being in my pocket during times when I'm not taking photos. However, there are smart phone lanyards on Amazon you can purchase. As well as there being those type of lanyards at Walmart according to their website. If they're not physically there at the store, you can order them through their website as well. If anything research online to see if there's any local stores in your area that have them.

Last edited:
I personally do not use the one's for smartphones, especially since a lot of times I'm holding my phone, because no matter how many times I come, I'm always taking photos, so I do not mind it being in my pocket during times when I'm not taking photos.

I was thinking more so to avoid lockers. But now that I'm thinking about it, we'll be there in June and will likely be carrying water misting fans... there may be no way around going to the lockers and so we may as well bring a bag lol

I'll try to do this off the top of my head :)

IoA:
Nothing but a lanyard and glasses:
Hulk
Dragon Challange

Lockers for bag rides (do not have to empty pockets):
Forbidden Journey
Spider-Man? (we do child swap, so I can't remember)

There are lockers near the water rides, but these are optional, so they are pay lockers.

US:
Nothing but lanyards and glasses:
RRR (Rip Ride Rocket)

Lockers for bags:
Gringotts
MIB
Mummy
Thank you so much!!!

I have a waterproof smartphone lanyard. Would I be able to use this on Dragon Challenge? I would still think this could be a hazard given the weight of the phone in the lanyard.

Just wondering...I don't mind using the lockers, but would prefer to have a phone with me at all times, if possible (and not dangerous)

I have a waterproof smartphone lanyard. Would I be able to use this on Dragon Challenge? I would still think this could be a hazard given the weight of the phone in the lanyard.

Just wondering...I don't mind using the lockers, but would prefer to have a phone with me at all times, if possible (and not dangerous)
That'll be a no-go. The phone will need to go in the lockers.

Yeah, it makes sense that they would not allow lanyards like that, smartphone lanyards would be more bulky and have more weight to them. Also, you have the ability to take out your phone, which is the whole point of putting everything in the lockers (including phones). The only reason why they allow lanyards in the first place is due to it being around the neck, usually they're pinned against you with lap bars being down on you (or they're under your shirt), and the fact that basically all that's in them are pieces of paper, or cards.

Random, but I do have to say that if anyone ever wants to take photos of the queue, all you have to is let the person know as you walking into the queue that you're strictly taking photos. However, you'll be stopped eventually at the point with the metal detectors. I only say this, because I had a deep desire to take photos with my phone once I walked through it again (I just gotten my annual pass again and it had been ages), but didn't have my phone. But next time, I brought my phone and only asked if I could take photos, which they allowed me to do so. I wanted to capture all the supporting champion flags, the car, as well as the amazing view of Hogwarts castle. It's a beauty!

12917837_473023789572829_807058986_n.jpg

Here's a shot I recently posted on my instagram.

Last edited:
Thank you! And these are allowed on the rides?
They should be allowed on everything except Rip Ride Rockit, Dragon Challenge, and Hulk. You'll need to stow it in the lockers for those rides if it contains a cell phone or anything else that would set off a metal detector.... and I guess I wouldn't even be surprised if they make you stow it regardless of whether or not it gets past the detector.

...Random, but I do have to say that if anyone ever wants to take photos of the queue, all you have to is let the person know as you walking into the queue that you're strictly taking photos. However, you'll be stopped eventually at the point with the metal detectors. I only say this, because I had a deep desire to take photos with my phone once I walked through it again (I just gotten my annual pass again and it had been ages), but didn't have my phone. But next time, I brought my phone and only asked if I could take photos, which they allowed me to do so. I wanted to capture all the supporting champion flags, the car, as well as the amazing view of Hogwarts castle. It's a beauty!...

I almost did that instead of going on the ride with DS and DH! I was bummed about missing out on so many great shots.

Not on RRR, Hulk or Dragon Challenge.

Fine on any other ride. I wear a Kipling multiple, it has a 3 prong clasp and is fine on every ride except the 3 mentioned.
Thanks! Just ordered two Kipling Presto fanny packs online, found them for a really good price too! Not sure if I'm allowed to say where on here, am I?

Thanks! Just ordered two Kipling Presto fanny packs online, found them for a really good price too! Not sure if I'm allowed to say where on here, am I?

Lol........sounds very mysterious..........

I bought my first one from amazon.........but second one bought direct from Kipling.......I like them. The multiple holds quite a lot, not familiar with the Presto.

3420047_fpx.tif.jpeg This is the Kipling Presto. Bought it online at Macy's. Very good sale going on right now. I bought 2! I only hesitated saying where I purchased because last year when we were going to Disney I posted on the Disney board about a website that will alert you when there is a reservation available for a restaurant with hard to get reservations, my post was deleted and I was told I was not allowed to post about websites. lol Well anyway as much as I do like Disney I don't think I'll be going back too soon. My brain hurt by the time it was time to go with all the having to choose what I was going to do when, and struggling to get reservations etc. Universal is more my pace!!

That bag looks like it will hold a lot too........ideal!

Glad to hear we have another Universal convert.........I never knock Disney either, just not for us anymore........:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter