Whatever happened to answering machines?

englishteacha

Have courage and be kind.
Our answering machine died, so we went to Walmart to replace it. They have ONE model of answering machine. (It wasn't really what we wanted, but probably would do.) They have a few that are phone/answering machine combos, but we didn't want one of those. If the phone breaks or the answering machine breaks, you're kind of stuck. I finally found one we like on Amazon, but even there, there are only a few models to choose from. We wanted one with "mailboxes" because DH has a business from home. A couple years ago, we saw them everywhere. Now, they're gone!

We don't want voicemail. It's too expensive long-term with the ongoing monthly fees.

Are answering machines really becoming obsolete?

I had the same problem last yr. I found a GE model with 4 mailboxes at one of the office supply stores. They only had 3 to pick from but better then the box stores. I think it was office max. Good luck.

I'm with you. I think the companies think everyone would prefer voicemail. I like to screen my calls. You can't do that if calls go to voicemail.

If you find a phone/answering machine combo that you like, remember, you do not have to use the phone part. You can leave a separate phone line hookup directly into your existing phone, the way you have now.

You might try eBay to find an answering machine. It's always amazing to me how much "brand new in the box" items people have tucked away that they never got around to using, that are precisely what we need now. :cool1:

Just posting to commiserate... we had the same problem even two years ago looking for an answering machine.

I'm with you. I think the companies think everyone would prefer voicemail. I like to screen my calls. You can't do that if calls go to voicemail.

:

:confused3 We have voicemail and caller ID and use that to screen our calls.
I think most people have switched over to voicemail. We have, but I really didn't like it at first because I missed the little blinking # on my answering machine telling me I had messages. Now we have a phone that blinks when we miss a call, and I can scroll through the numbers on the handset.

:confused3 We have voicemail and caller ID and use that to screen our calls.
I think most people have switched over to voicemail. We have, but I really didn't like it at first because I missed the little blinking # on my answering machine telling me I had messages. Now we have a phone that blinks when we miss a call, and I can scroll through the numbers on the handset.

Same here. We have call notes and a cordless phone with caller ID. I screen my calls too and just look at the caller ID. I just do not answer and after 7 rings it goes over to voicemail. My phone also blinks if I have messages. Sorry but the answering machine is is becoming obsolete like the VCR and cassette tapes.

Ah, I'd have to pay monthly to have Caller ID so I don't have it or even have a phone capable of it.

Our answering machine died, so we went to Walmart to replace it. They have ONE model of answering machine. (It wasn't really what we wanted, but probably would do.) They have a few that are phone/answering machine combos, but we didn't want one of those. If the phone breaks or the answering machine breaks, you're kind of stuck. I finally found one we like on Amazon, but even there, there are only a few models to choose from. We wanted one with "mailboxes" because DH has a business from home. A couple years ago, we saw them everywhere. Now, they're gone!

We don't want voicemail. It's too expensive long-term with the ongoing monthly fees.

Are answering machines really becoming obsolete?
I just bought an answermachine with two hand helds in November. Maybe your Wal-Mart just does not carry them. My daughter just loves having a phone in her room. We would not get another number for her, but this works great.

Most phone/cable companies put voice mail into their packages. I know Verizon, comcast and RCN do. Or, they give you 3 free features (voicemail, call waiting, 3 way calling for example). I don't know anyone that doesn't have voicemail on their home phones. I have been to peoples houses that even have answering machine/phone combos and don't use the the answering machines because voicemail comes in their package. My mother and sister-in law for example. When I asked why they got the combo they both said that they just liked the phones and the aswering machine came with it.

I thought they were crazy until I went to replace my cordless kitchen phone. I didn't want the combo because I have voicemail in my package. That's hard to find too! I kept thinking I found one, but it would turn out to be just an additional set with those multiple handset phone systems.

Just plain old answering machines I did not see anywhere. Good luck!

Voicemail through the phone company is not the only culprit. More and more people are doing away with their land lines all together.

We found one for my Mom at Target. It was a standalone with electronic recording (no tapes). I know it was under $20, but I can't remember how much it cost.

Target.com lists at least 2 GE models.
BestBuy.com has 1.
Amazon.com has many to choose from.

We use one. It is a stand-alone machine. No caller ID. No mailboxes. We don't want or need all the fancy extras and certainly won't pay for them.

I agree. We just have a regular landline and an answering machine. We had voicemail and caller id about five years ago, but, we realized that we didn't need it and were just wasting money. I refuse to pay for those extras. I figure if someone calls me that I don't want to talk to, I can just hang up. :rotfl2:

I don't know anyone that doesn't have voicemail on their home phones.

My name is Steve and I don't have voicemail. Maybe I should start a support group.:lmao:

Of course, we are also those old-fashioned folks who believe that when the phone rings, you should pick it up and actually speak to the person on the other end. We don't believe in screening our calls. If is a telemarketer, we just say, "I'm not interested" and hang up. Very simple.

Most phone/cable companies put voice mail into their packages. I know Verizon, comcast and RCN do. Or, they give you 3 free features (voicemail, call waiting, 3 way calling for example). I don't know anyone that doesn't have voicemail on their home phones.

Our phone package does not include any of these features for free - they are all additional costs (we have Verizon).

And I don't use voice mail either (only at my job where I have to). We have a good, old fashioned answering machine at home (I'll join your support group disneysteve!!:thumbsup2 ).

We switched our land line over to VoIP about 6 months ago and we love it. CallerID, Voicemail, call waiting, call forwarding, etc. all included and it's $20 cheaper per month than our land line with no features.

We switched to Comcast Digital Voice when we moved at the end of the year. I miss my answering machine that would announce the number of the incoming call (worked in conjunction with Caller ID). :flower3: We didn't have to go looking for the handset to see who was calling because we could hear the announcement from another room.

One day I was home, really feeling ill and couldn't get off the sofa when the phone rang. The call went to voicemail while DH ran an errand. It was the first message left on voicemail and I had no idea how to retrieve it. (The installer left no instructions). I was able to pick it up through the email alert, but was losing my mind for quite some time before I found the directions for retrieving messages.

I'm in that support group as well. No voicemail for us either. If it costs extra, we don't get it.

We have a cordless phone with an answering machine attached to it.

We have voicemail and for the past 2 1/2 yrs we have the VM.
It comes with our package which is convenient.

I guess I am on the other side of the fence. I really like VM. I hated the fact when we had an answering machine, that at first it was where everyone could hear it, then we moved it into the bedroom and then I had to go in there to hear it...

I like it, I guess since I don't pay extra then it works for us, I suppose if we had to, it would pose a problem for us if we didn't want to pay for it.

I like it to that I can call from anywhere and get my messages. :) For us it is a convenience.

I sure do hope those of you looking for an Answering Machine find what you are looking for, I am sure they are still out there, just not as much as a selection I suppose.

We still have an answering machine, but it's a combo, with 2 extra handsets that don't need phone jacks. They're very convenient because our house isn't wired for phones everywhere.

We do have caller ID on those 3 phones, but the Mickey Mouse phone near my desk doesn't have it. It's kind of fun to answer the phone with no idea who it is.

I'm sorry you couldn't find what you were looking for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter