• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What Would You Do? (Fender Bender) Update Post #133

Yes, the should go through insurance. I have no idea if they are scamming. No idea what trailer repairs cost. I suspect for only $900 the insurance will pay it and move on. Lucky it was a trailer and not a car because a repair to a car probably would be at least twice that.
Yeah. Hey TV Guy? I’m filing an insurance claim with you, over time lost.

To my understanding all these people have is the OP’s name and phone number. There’s no proof on their end the OP did anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ What could come out of all this is… nothing. They claim to have already “fixed” it so there’s nothing to assess by the insurance company. Call me crazy but as far as I know insurance companies don’t just go paying claims willy nilly on someone’s say so. In my experience they want to inspect the damage themselves and in this case there isn’t damage anymore. The OP could block their number and that would pretty much be the end of it. That’s not what I’m suggesting the OP does, they have to make that decision themselves but at the end of the day all they really have nothing he said/she said.
Wow, so you are saying OP should walk away from their responsibility?

Wow, so you are saying OP should walk away from their responsibility?
It literally says in the post you quoted that I am NOT saying that. Literally says that. I’m saying your assertion that OP could get in trouble with their insurance company for not filing is very remote because there is zero proof that OP did anything. And let’s be real here. Sounds like this company found a way to get themselves a new trailer and decided to get the OP to pay cash for it. As mentioned in previous posts there’s probably a reason they turned her down in the first place. No one spends $900 in cash themselves hoping to get insurance to pay for it later. They’re not going to file with her insurance because they got nothin. They’re counting on the OP being afraid of their insurance going up. OP says I’m not paying that, chances are the company walks away. Or they ask for insurance in which case the OP can then contact them.

It literally says in the post you quoted that I am NOT saying that. Literally says that. I’m saying your assertion that OP could get in trouble with their insurance company for not filing is very remote because there is zero proof that OP did anything. And let’s be real here. Sounds like this company found a way to get themselves a new trailer and decided to get the OP to pay cash for it. As mentioned in previous posts there’s probably a reason they turned her down in the first place. No one spends $900 in cash themselves hoping to get insurance to pay for it later. They’re not going to file with her insurance because they got nothin. They’re counting on the OP being afraid of their insurance going up. OP says I’m not paying that, chances are the company walks away. Or they ask for insurance in which case the OP can then contact them.
OP admits they hit the trailer. OP should have taken pictures with their cell phone. But bottom line, they are taking a risk not getting this settled.

OP did take photos. It sounds like OP does want to take care of it. If it were me I would too. But risk? Nah.
Clearly I have a lower tolerance for risk than you.

Clearly I have a lower tolerance for risk than you.
Actually I’m pretty risk adverse but I know a scam/play for free cash when I hear it. It’s telling to me that the OP was never asked for their insurance info. My DH was in a fender bender. They pulled over and got out of the vehicles. Guy asked for cash. My DH handed him our insurance card. Guy insisted on cash, DH presented him with the card. Guy drove away. End of story. You think my DH took a risk by not reporting it to insurance? They have bigger fish to fry. The most I would do in OP’s situation is offer to call my insurance. If that’s not acceptable to them I’d be done with it.

Actually I’m pretty risk adverse but I know a scam/play for free cash when I hear it. It’s telling to me that the OP was never asked for their insurance info. My DH was in a fender bender. They pulled over and got out of the vehicles. Guy asked for cash. My DH handed him our insurance card. Guy insisted on cash, DH presented him with the card. Guy drove away. End of story. You think my DH took a risk by not reporting it to insurance? They have bigger fish to fry. The most I would do in OP’s situation is offer to call my insurance. If that’s not acceptable to them I’d be done with it.
My former neighbor was stopped at a traffic light and a guy going the wrong way on a bike hit him. Guy claimed injuries for what was clearly entirely his fault. Neighbors insurance offered him $20,000 to settle. My neighbor objected, but insurance said it would not raise his premiums, but $20,000 was cheaper than the cost of proving the guy was entirely at fault. Insurance is all about the bottom line.

Heck to the no would I pay that. I’d probably text them a pic of it and go the chitty chitty bang trailer isn’t even worth 900 so not sure why they would bother. And ask why they changed their mind after 2 months because a judge can decide in court who was being honest.

Last edited:
The trailer people could attempt a civil suit to get their $900 but they would spend way more than that in court fees. Would be basically pointless, I can't see how they would pursue that, especially since they have no proof of anything.

We paid a 50% deposit like idiots on having a large expanse of fencing put in (he came recommended to us by someone we know so didn't think too much of it) but the guy spent all the money on heroin instead and ghosted us -- and did it to at least 6 other people -- we were the only people who got their money back and that was ONLY because we got really lucky, my husband confronted the guy and he wrote us a check that bounced so they got him for check fraud and we got everything back. All those other poor people who took him to court never got their money back despite having a written work order and receipt from the guy. All that to say I seriously doubt they pursue any further. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I would assume they will want an independent inspector to look at it, either by the insurance company themselves if they can physically send out a claims adjuster who can look at the trailer or an inspection from mechanic shops. A mechanic the landscape company employs or even they themselves uses isn't a very unbiased opinion but who knows if the insurance company would just pay it and move on.

I know when I was in my accident (rear-ended) I took it to an authorized body shop (which was a dealership in my case but there were other choices) and the claims adjuster looked all around my car, the bumper (which sustained the most damage), under the bumper, etc. looking at damage and to see if he could at least eye ball pre-existing damage.

when our car was inspected by the adjuster from the responsible party's insurance company the adjuster smugly said to us 'you have preexisting damage on this-look there's red paint right there-our insured's car is NOT red'-to which i replied 'no it's not-but their idaho license plate is, do you want to see the photo i took with my phone of their license plate after it was ripped off during the impact of hitting my car, or would you prefer the one of your insured's car absent the plate before they jimmy rigged it back on to drive home?'. he didn't say another word and approved the damage claim be paid in full.

Two Months later a bill?
Nope. No pay.
You were told don't worry about.
Did they file police report? Sounds like no.
The non-itemized bill is no go. Would need a few estimates, which didn't happen.
Burden is on them.
Just my 2 cents

when our car was inspected by the adjuster from the responsible party's insurance company the adjuster smugly said to us 'you have preexisting damage on this-look there's red paint right there-our insured's car is NOT red'-to which i replied 'no it's not-but their idaho license plate is, do you want to see the photo i took with my phone of their license plate after it was ripped off during the impact of hitting my car, or would you prefer the one of your insured's car absent the plate before they jimmy rigged it back on to drive home?'. he didn't say another word and approved the damage claim be paid in full.
A risk to go with other party's insurance vs your own although the detail about the red paint could be mentioned the "our insured" part would not. Regardless there are insurance employees everywhere who are less than nice or ethical unfortunately however not exclusive to the profession. Sorry there was that hassle there.

The trailer people could attempt a civil suit to get their $900 but they would spend way more than that in court fees. Would be basically pointless, I can't see how they would pursue that, especially since they have no proof of anything.
Not pointless because in small claims court if the OP is found liable, OP will have to pay the trailer people's legal costs.
Again, I can't speak to how legitimate a $900 repair is, but I can't believe how unethical folks are here suggesting OP just ignore a situation that OP is responsible for.

A risk to go with other party's insurance vs your own although the detail about the red paint could be mentioned the "our insured" part would not. Regardless there are insurance employees everywhere who are less than nice or ethical unfortunately however not exclusive to the profession. Sorry there was that hassle there.

i was going through my own-they said the other company had the right to inspect prior to having the repairs done.

Again, I can't speak to how legitimate a $900 repair is, but I can't believe how unethical folks are here suggesting OP just ignore a situation that OP is responsible for.

Lol,OP did the right thing when she hit it. Was told no don’t worry about it.
The person who contacts her 2 MONTHS later and won’t give her an itemized bill ( keep in mind he didn’t contact her before work was started) he is the one who is sketchy.

The guy is trying to shake down the OP. Let’s just call it what it is.

Last edited:
i was going through my own-they said the other company had the right to inspect prior to having the repairs done.
Ah yeah see I had no physical interaction with the Other insurance company when I was going through my own.

My vehicle was towed to a place within their network and I got a rental car as part of my insurance. My insurance company did the investigation, they did everything including the subrogation to get my deductible back (which they were successful), if there was an inspection done by the Other insurance company I was not involved.

Claims people of the respective insurance companies often do the discussion, investigation, etc with each other with insureds getting contact mainly from their insurance company. Usually the insurance companies negotiate on final settlement of costs for repairs and such who then pass that information down to their respective insureds who can counter if they feel all is not adequate. Interesting that you were brought in physically with Other party's insurance claims adjuster. I could see them wanting to inspect the damage but including you is what I would be surprised about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter