• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What would you do? (5k)

ali2083

Mouseketeer
I'm registered for a 5k on Saturday, I've done a few. The past few days I haven't been feeling well (sinus issues) and have to get some dental work Thursday which I fear will add to the pain.

I'm already debating not running as I'd have to get up at 5:00 AM to get there on time, but I feel like a quitter if I don't go. The registration can't be transferred to someone else. It was $50, but is for charity so I'm not concerned about the money.

Thoughts?

I'm registered for a 5k on Saturday, I've done a few. The past few days I haven't been feeling well (sinus issues) and have to get some dental work Thursday which I fear will add to the pain.

I'm already debating not running as I'd have to get up at 5:00 AM to get there on time, but I feel like a quitter if I don't go. The registration can't be transferred to someone else. It was $50, but is for charity so I'm not concerned about the money.

Thoughts?

Do it. At least you can figure out your baseline for a 5k. What is the downside?

What kind of dental work?

Sometimes I can run through sinus issues, sometimes it's too much. No shame in DNS if you really aren't up to racing.

To me depends on your current fitness level and pace- if a 5k is a challenge and your currently a slower runner/walker then yes I could see not starting as you'd be 'using most of your energy' to just finish as it'd prob not necessarily be safe..

If a 5k is a bi-weekly distance with longer milage often and you pace naturally higher (so the race would be a 'low energy' use by walking, slower pace) I'd say why not-

For me I run 3 miles 3x a week with a longer runs once a week so while I'm not a fast runner (13 min miles) I was walking 5ks less than a week post gallbladder surgery because I had the milage 'in the tank'

The dental work is just a few fillings (hopefully!) While that isn't much I have some TMJ issues that flare up when I have sinus problems.

While I don't run regularly I work out every day including every other day cardio, I usually only run when I'm signed up for a race (I know that's a terrible thing to say on a running board). I think I'm more paranoid of getting dizzy along the way because of the sinus issues.

I'm going to hold out on making a decision until Friday and see how I'm feeling, and what the weather may be Saturday. I think i'll do better if its on the cooler side. But now I'm leaning more towards trying to make it. Thanks for the input!

Good news is that you've already paid and the money goes to charity.
Seems like you can wait until the last minute and make a "game time" decision.

Hope you feel better.

I would run it. When I have sinus issues, running helps me clear things up. The only illnesses that stop me from running are ones with a high fever or chest congestion. As for the dentist visit - I have run the day after a triple root canal, so that wouldn't deter me.

Either do it, or don't - but don't let this little stuff become an excuse not to do it. You are tougher than that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter