What will WDW be in 10 years?

ArcticWildMan

Mouseketeer
Will it still reign supreme in Florida and the US as the premiere vacation destination or will all the cutbacks and penny pinching finally allow Universal or some other competitor to finally surpass WDW?

Will WDW become a giant DVC resort that only the more financially secure can afford?

Will Disney cut the strings with Fox Family and ABC and return to it's basics and focus on family vacations?

Just curious what everybody thinks the future holds.

I think that there's a strong possibility that the company may be broken up into smaller units at some point in the future. Hopefully, ABC and some of the other drains will go away and WDW will emerge as a meaner, leaner machine. Of course, Eisner will be gone and I'm afraid that the Disney Stores will be quite different and maybe owned by someone else. :( Universal will be closer to Disney's level but won't quite be up there.

I'm curious about what some of the board regulars think about this question.

I believe it'll be about the same...Drifting along having some high times and some lows. Perhaps, as PG suggests some of the 'drags' will be gone, or better yet, turned into 'players' by a new boss.

I have hope that someone new at the top may be able to rekindle some of that old Disney Magic in the form of customer service and quality but I wouldn't hold my breath for any wholesale changes or a return to yesteryear as so many around here pine for.

The competetion will be about the same as well. None of the local parks have the ability to become a real destination resort IMO, nor do I think they'd be dumb enough to try for two reasons (1) the current economy and no bright future on the horizon, and (2) the saturation of Orlando.

WDW looks to have turned a corner in one sense with all of the new and quality projects being offered for the future but still we have the current situation with cutbacks and such that we here on the DIS just can't grasp the logic of.

In 10 years Disney will still be Disney. Maybe a little less magical for the oldtimers as time goes on but proboably just as magical to the new converts...

WDW will still be the only resort in the country where your goal will be to try and do a hundred different activities in 8 days,7 nites.

DVC resorts will make up 50% of all on-propery rooms and OKW will finally have a slide:-)

More Monorail transportation, financed by the profits from ABC.

River Country will still be closed for renovations.

Advances in technology allowed for the developement of silent vacuum cleaners.

M:S will seem as tame as TTA compared to current Imagineering offerings.

Wireless broadband throughout the entire resort.

Charmen Bath Tissue will be the official Toilet Sponsor of WDW.

Several new menu items at Columbia Harbor House: One Chicken Finger and Fry Platter, Two Chicken Fingers and Some Fries Platter, Three Chicken Fingers and a Bunch of Fries Platter, Four Chicken Fingers and a Chitload of Fries Platter.

I tend to agree with Mr. Pirate. There will be more cutbacks, but the place will remain basicly the same. Maybe in 20 we might get a Villians Park started...

:bounce:

Originally posted by Planogirl
I'm afraid that the Disney Stores will be quite different and maybe owned by someone else. :(

If Disney does not sell the Disney Stores soon, then they might as well close the rest of them. I must say that I have never seen a more poorly managed retail operation in my life. Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember a time when TDS redefined the specialty retail industry. Since the mid 90's, this division of the company has fallen, to the point that it has started to affect the rest of the company.

When I first discovered The Disney Store back in 1987, it was the Pier 39 location in San Francisco. It was a novelty back then. Only the second store of it's kind. The props in the store were actually built at Disneyland and transported to the new store. A pirate ship, moving animated characters, curtains that came from the Haunted Mansion. It was pretty cool. I remember thinking, "wouldn't it be a dream come true to actually manage this place?" That was a 20 year old dreamer, dreaming.

Twelve years later, and quite unexpectedly that dreamer became the manager of the Pier 39 Disney Store. At the time, there were over 700 stores and the novelty of this location had faded, but the history was still there. Unfortunately the people who created the greatness of TDS all moved on, mostly to the parks. Paul Pressler and others were gone. And the crop of losers who replaced them created the downfall of the company.

My two and a half years at TDS were a horrible experience. It almost ruined my passion for Disney. I left a great management position at an incredible company to work for TDS. The only positive thing about working at TDS was the discount and the Silver Pass to get into all of the parks.

While at TDS, I saw two types of employees. Realists like me, who knew about business and what the real world was all about. And then there were those who were so happy to be working for Disney that they were living in a total fantasy world, completly brainwashed by the "pixie dust".

I left TDS because the upper management were incompetent and did not know how to treat people with respect and dignity. A month after I departed, they announced plans to close the Pier 39 store (a location that Eisner mentioned in his book). Today, I am pleased to say that the upper management losers who mistreated me are long gone. And I have returned to the incredible company that I worked for prior to TDS.

IMHO, those stores are a total joke today. Nothing but toys and other junk. Where's the quality? I have not shopped at TDS since I left. I had it with them when they tried to make a profit from the 9/11 tragedy. The 700 stores are now down to around 300 (I believe). I say the fewer, the merrier. When the last store is gone, I will be the first one to write a post on this board called "Buh Bye Disney Store"

But I am not bitter

;)

I have no idea about what it Disney will be 10 years from now. I have only had the magic from the parks for two years.

I do know that I hope that it retains its magic.

My DD will be 15, but there will be a whole new group of little ones that need the magic.

I don't see society getting any better. At least Disney offers a diversion from reality.

It will still be around. Probably outshone by another company by then, if current management trends continue.
I would hate to see WDW fall into the same fate that DLR currently is in.

exDSvet, how did the Disney Stores try to profit from 9/11?

I don't see society getting any better. At least Disney offers a diversion from reality.
This is absolutely GREAT comment. We always talk about Disney as if it were in a vacumn and this commnet should allow it to be put in perspective...After all, in this Bennifer laden society how much good, family targeted entertainment is even available?

Disney may not be what it used to be and perhaps thier motives are none too pure but what else even comes close to offering consistantcy and relative quality in family entertainment? Sports? Yeah right...:rolleyes:

Crystal, I don't think there is a chance in hades that any other company can outshine Disney at what it does (in total breadth and scope) because the simple truth is "they can't get there from here." The infratructure cash outlay that Disney has, especially in WDW is just too great for anyone to overcome, IMO...

The idea that Disney would sell ABC and re-invest in the parks is soooo sweet. That is now my new "happy place"(you know--the place you go in your head when real life is annoying or painful. Like when you're at the dentist).

When was the "basics" of the Walt Disney Company ever family vacations. I thought if you really wanted to classify it the "basics" would be animated and live action film production.

In ten years?

People will no longer eat dole whips, dole whips will eat people.

I just hope what's been happing at Disneyland doesn't happen at WDW (check the http://www.miceage.com/ web site). DCA has been a big bust and I hope the suits don't decide to cut back at WDW to help get DCA and MK on the west coast back up to speed.

I'm a DVC owner and if things start happening in FL like they have in CA, such as monorail cut backs due to lack of $'s for maint, a Tomorrow land that's basically a ghost town, building falling apart, I might just sell out and take my $'s elsewhere.

Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Charmin Bath Tissue will be the official Toilet Sponsor of WDW.

1092.gif
biggthumpup.gif

Originally posted by exDS vet

My two and a half years at TDS were a horrible experience. It almost ruined my passion for Disney. I left a great management position at an incredible company to work for TDS. The only positive thing about working at TDS was the discount and the Silver Pass to get into all of the parks.

While at TDS, I saw two types of employees. Realists like me, who knew about business and what the real world was all about. And then there were those who were so happy to be working for Disney that they were living in a total fantasy world, completly brainwashed by the "pixie dust".

I left TDS because the upper management were incompetent and did not know how to treat people with respect and dignity. A month after I departed, they announced plans to close the Pier 39 store (a location that Eisner mentioned in his book). Today, I am pleased to say that the upper management losers who mistreated me are long gone. And I have returned to the incredible company that I worked for prior to TDS.

IMHO, those stores are a total joke today. Nothing but toys and other junk. Where's the quality? I have not shopped at TDS since I left. I had it with them when they tried to make a profit from the 9/11 tragedy. The 700 stores are now down to around 300 (I believe). I say the fewer, the merrier. When the last store is gone, I will be the first one to write a post on this board called "Buh Bye Disney Store"

But I am not bitter

;)

I hear you. I worked at TDS for about 2 months and I had to leave after thats hort amount of time because I was in college at the time. I was appalled that DISNEY , of all companies, required a college student to work until 3 in the morning to do inventory during school finals week. They just generally treated their employees like crap and I left because it was sucking the magic of Disney away for me. :(

How did Disney try to profit off of 9/11?

10 years from now-
Ashton Kutcher will be president of the US.
The Screen Actors Guild will have replaced Congress.
The Us capitol will have moved to Disneyland.
If you are not staying at a Disney Hotel, WDW and DL will be off limits except for those holding actors union cards.
DVC will cost a minimum of $50k.
DVC owners will have front of line priveledges, all other Disney Hotel guests will be allowed to choose 3 rides per park per day.
Monorail service from Orlando airport will be required for those arriving by air. All guests will have to sign an agreement that they will not spend any money outside of Disney property during their stay or they will be banned for life.
By then, the average 8 year old will not recognize any of the early Disney characters, only latest digital cartoon characters will be in the limelight!
:crazy:

ExDS Vet and EsmereldaX~ I totally understand where you guys are coming from! I had similar experiences on the college program at WDW, working in Quick Service Food. One manager actually told me, "You know what? They tricked you, they told you this was a real internship to get you down here, and now you're our slave labor for the semester. Deal with it." I ended up "self terminating" 1 month early after many such episodes, comments, and dramas. I have also seen many brainwashed by the pixie dust, happy to get yelled at by managers, forced to work long hours on minimum wage, and generally disrespected and belittled by guests and coworkers alike, as long as they get to wear that nametag and be "part of the magic." If you haven't already read it, I suggest the book "Behind the Mouse" by The Project on Disney, especially the chapter "Working at the Rat."

My predictions for Disney's future:
~Hopefully more Imagineer intensive rides, like Mission to Mars and Tower of Terror, with less cheap, carnival type attractions.
~ More and more CP working at the parks and resorts. The company has figured out that CP is great. They get college educated, usually extremely enthusiastic kids to do the jobs on the very bottom of the heap, the ones they can't get too many adults to do, and then pay minimum wage. Then some of these kids end up staying and working for the company, often in jobs similar to those they had on the program, that they wouldn't put up with or even consider from any other company. I also predict that the CP is growing from how much it has grown from its beginnings and because I can see interviewers becoming less and less choosy, eventually putting anyone who will go to FL on the program.

All in all, it could go in 3 ways. Stay as it is now, at some type of middleground, or go up or down. I'm hoping that it improves, both as a workplace and a place to visit, but I can't say I'm too optimistic.

My biggest hope would be for the whole Disney Company to flushed out and new, competant, respectfull management will be installed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter